Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D60 or XSi?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    I wasn't trying to say that more AF points are pointless, i was simply asking if my method works. Thanks.

your method works too. its just theres new tech. before AF in cameras your method was everyones way of "AF" and light metering.

like saying i can drive without power steering.

does the same job, just takes more work/time
    400whp/384tq - E85 - stock turbo
    334whp/317tq - 91oct - stock turbo

Sponsored by www.speedelement.com / www.rallyinnovations.com / www.bajadesigns.com / www.sportsracingfuel.com / www.gruppe-s.com / www.vexmotorsports.com / www.detailaddict.com
    Tuned by Bryan@GST Motorsports
    Proud supporter of www.gstmotorsports.com / www.xperformance.com

Ya my friend has a D40 and I love it. I'm getting back into the SLR world. I took 3 years of photography back in highschool 4 years ago and never went digitial. Used 35mm film SLR's so it is what it is and now I want to go digital and get some good deals with Circuit City is about to collapse. But I think I might want to take a step up from the D40...

2008 Graphite Gray Evo X GSR
    Rota - Hankook - Seibon - APR - Tanabe - Cobb - Nisei - AMS - Girodisk - Hawk - Motul - AEM - Perrin - Ralliart
    ECUFlash SELF TUNED!

Quote Originally Posted by steevo8 View Post
    I have used the xsi several times and for a a cheaper slr it's really nice. Colors are great too. The lack of AF points on the Nikon are super frustrating to me so I wouldn't even consider the d40, same goes for the 60 if it's like that. I have actually posted quite a few pics here that were shot with a friends xsi, not that it's a good reference since I'm no pro, but they were posted right along side shots taken with my 40D and no one mentioned any difference in IQ.
    What about a XS over a XSi?

Rota - Hankook - Seibon - APR - Tanabe - Cobb - Nisei - AMS - Girodisk - Hawk - Motul - AEM - Perrin - Ralliart
    ECUFlash SELF TUNED!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    Why do more focus points matter? I have 3 on my D40, horizontal. if i want something in focus i just tilt the camera up or down, put the subject i want in focus in the center, autofocus, then reposition the pic and shoot. Can someone explain to me why u would need more points?
    Well in theory that works fine and you could really just use manual focus just as east in situations like that. For me what killed me was using it on a tripod and also when shooting a moving object. If you shoot according to the rule of thirds the other af points make life so much easier. Also when you start using real fast lenses it helps to control the dof some also. For instance, you might be taking a head shot of a dog or cat or something and have it centered, but you want their eye to be the focus point and are shooting at f1.4 or f1.8 or even f2.8. With the canon you just select the af and shoot it. Bam, eye in focus in the upper third and even bokeh across the face. Not a huge deal but for sure nice to have.
    Eat me

Quote Originally Posted by xbox4414 View Post
    What about a XS over a XSi?
    Not sure what the difference is. If you wanna fill me in I might be able to help but I only have first hand experience with the xsi and d40
    Eat me

Honestly I have no idea the real differences....LOL, thus why I'm asking you guys...maybe someone knows more?

ECUFlash SELF TUNED!

^Google.com my friend

LOL I did and what I saw says both are good cameras. I think I might just save some money and go with a XS...looks to have more features of a D40 and still good for the price. Might save a few hundred dollars by not getting a XSi...

Anyone else got personal experience with these cameras?

ECUFlash SELF TUNED!

Ok so the difference between the xs and the xsi is that the xsi has a 3" viewing screen compared to the xs that has a 2 1/2" monitor, the XSI is a 12.2 mega pixels and the xs is 10.1mp. The xsi shoots at 3.5fps and the xs shoots at 3fps and the xs has 7 af points while the xsi has 9 and the XSI shoots 14bit raw files while the xs shoots 12 bit raw files. Oh and the XSI has spot metering and the XS doesnt.

IMO theres no question I would get the xsi over the xs... The 1/2" in the viewing monitor alone makes it worth the extra cost. More pixels might not make the IQ any better but it does allow you to crop an image down a lot more and still keep it usable. Overall the XSI is a noticeably better camera and worth the extra money and then some imo. Heres some links.

http://www.photolectic.com/reviews/d...omparison.html

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ghlight=xs+xsi

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ghlight=xs+xsi
    Eat me

Hey Xbox, be careful about snatching up stuff from Circuit City's liquidation sale. They are handled by a third party and the price, even after 40% or 60% percent off, are still higher than you can find online from a reputable store. In addition there are NO returns.

I'm also about to buy a DSLR and found after some reading that I like the XS or XSi over the D60/D40 because of the features the above guys posted plus it has an integrated dust cleaning system for the sensor. Most reviews I read stated the XS/XSi has better image quality than the D60. Also it seems kit D40's don't come with VR lens that I think is important.

I'm a real big noob so for me I think I'm going with the XS over XSi because I probably won't use the extra features for a while. I could use the savings to get some filters, a lens, tripod, etc.

Amazon is selling the XS for around $475 with free shipping, which seems like a good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10-1MP-D...2300916&sr=8-1
    Last edited by SpinOne05; 01-18-2009 at 10:54 AM.
    435/371 @ GST E-85