Thread: Thoughts on lens filters?

Default Thoughts on lens filters?

What are people's thoughts here on using lens filters for protection? Like say a UV filter from B+W or Heliopan. Or other good company. (any suggestions here)

From reading on some forums I see people are kinda split. Some hate it cause they say it can cause flare effects and degrade photo quality. Others swear by it and put on right out of the box, to prevent scratches and make it easier to clean off dust.

Also what do you guys with nice DSLR's use to clean your lens'?

Oh, if there is a thread already started for this, link me to it.
    435/371 @ GST E-85

from my noob experience...a UV filter will bring out the vibrant colors on objects/targets on a bright sunny day. (great for landscape photos)

it also protects the main lens from scratches when outdoors...a lot cheaper to replace a filter than the actual lens

D50
    &quot;POST WHORING IS THE MOST PRODUCTIVE THING I&#039;VE DONE IN MONTHS!&quot;<br /><br /><br />&quot;WE BELIEVE!&quot;

filter lenses do protect your Main lens thats for sure. they are a cheap way to protect you expensive lenses from scratchs. even the one at Best Buy have nice UV filter lenses

I've always been on the fence about filters aswell. I do currently own B+W UV filters, but I've only used them while in harsh conditions [beach, sand dunes, etc.. etc..].

My method of cleaning is:
    1] Blow off as much dust as possible with Large Rocket Blower.
    2] Wipe down lens with a Nikon Pre-Moistened wipe.
    3] Go over lens with my Kodak Microfiber cloth [helps clean left over streaks from wipe.]
    Rafael S.

Yeah... I bought UV protection lens from best buy and it's doing it's job... Using it for my d90