Thread: Question for CA registration for a Off-Road car (PNO)?

Default Question for CA registration for a Off-Road car (PNO)?

I was looking into the PNO registration process and reducing my insurance for my other Evo 8 and I came across this on the DMV website.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr01.htm

California law requires vehicles to be currently registered if they are driven, towed, stored, parked on public roads or highways or parked in an off-street public parking facility at any time during the registration period.
    Non-operational means that the vehicle will not be driven, towed, stored, or parked on public roads or highways for the entire registration year.
    I'm worried about the "Towed" aspect in the statement since this is my planned method of transport. If i keep the car registered eventually it would have to be smogged. So how do people get around this?

I'm pretty sure when they say "towed" it means the trailer itself, or whatever has the wheels touching the ground. You can tow a Nascar, F1 car on an open trailer, just the same as you can tow ATVs or other OHVs.

i called the DMV and confirmed... it's not very clear on their website though.

btw I found out the hard way years ago that parking a PNO car in your driveway can still get you a ticket.

it might have changed since then but at that time it was a lovely $900 worth of pita.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan@GST View Post
    btw I found out the hard way years ago that parking a PNO car in your driveway can still get you a ticket.

it might have changed since then but at that time it was a lovely $900 worth of pita.
    the nice thing about where my vehicle is parked is that it's down the driveway that goes behind the house and is inside a gate so unless the cop walks and opens up the gate he can't ticket me

Weird, you should be able to beat that since everything on your side of the sidewalk is your private property.

What!!! Now that is pure stupidity (not you Bryan) but good ol' Cali. I would have called the cop a retard or maybe offered him a donut.

Dennis
    08 SCCA SFR XP Champion...
    Thanks SpeedElement for your support...