Thread: How do you guys clean your engine bays?

Default How do you guys clean your engine bays?

What are your steps to detailing the engine bay? Do you use standard garden hose to wash it or pressure wash? What about detergent? Let's hear it!

on mine I just use my left over Carwash soap, and start washing the engine bay. and spray it with my garden hose
    Posted from my mobile device

Quote Originally Posted by RREVOVIII View Post
    on mine I just use my left over Carwash soap, and start washing the engine bay. and spray it with my garden hose
    +1. If you have a lot of built up grease you can use simple green, bleach white, or as a last resort, engine degreaser as it can rapidly eat the paint in your engine bay.

Just be careful not to spray too much on the valve cover. Some water can get under the spark plug cover and pool there with no way to drain.

baby oil and a gentle rub

Quote Originally Posted by RREVOVIII View Post
    Definitely not a good idea. And this is why. The wash bucket system is there to provide a capturing of the contaminants wiped off by your sponge. All your doing is re applying those contaminants in your engine bay thus defeating the purpose of the engine detail.

This is what I do. I start of by using a special high grade engine degreaser which is very paint and surface friendly. This stuff is forumulated to not only be EPA approved but is very safe to get on your skin as well. I apply utilizing a foam gun and apply liberally. Then I let soak for about 2 minutes then I use a pressure sprayer to rinse. I repeat this step if needed and aggitate utilizing only professional detailing products sub as the Dayton brush. I then rinse and wipe down using a microfiber specifically desognated for the engine bay. Once all moisture and contaminants have been wiped offi then start applying a protectant over all surfaces.

Once completed I then seal it.

Try and do this when he engine is warm. This creates optimal cleaning effect. But definitely don't do it when the engine is hott!!!

^ +10000000000