Thread: vibration issue...any ideas?

Default vibration issue...any ideas?

i'm lost regarding some vibration issues I was having a couple weeks ago...wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what might be happening...

ferodo 2500 pads
    dba crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    stainless lines and motul fluid

stock wheels with dunlop star specs
    work emotion's with goodyear eagle f1 all seasons

normally i drive around with the emotions and overall the car hasn't seen much "real" action since I did the brake upgrade and put on the star specs. I think I did one quick trip down mines road.

anyways, a couple weekends ago I did a trip with some friends driving pretty much all the windy roads from the south bay to mammoth.

on the first day, running the star specs, i noticed that after awhile, I had severe vibrations on braking from 60mph and higher. no vibrations at all during acceleration though and no vibrations from lower speeds.

pretty much lived with it during the trip, and just tried carrying more speed through corners rather than braking.

on the way home, I blew a tire and my gf drove my work emotions out to me. i switched rims and on the way home, now I have no vibration on braking but crazy vibration from 60mph and higher on acceleration and cruising.

I go and get the rims balanced and they tell me that they were out only by 0.25oz and that there is no way I would feel that but now there are no vibrations on acceleration, braking or cruising.

wtf is going on?

the only real tests I have left are to put the car in action to see if the braking vibration comes back and get the tire replaced and see if the other set of wheels was out of balance?

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, why did the tire blow out? Low pressure? That could have been causing the vibration before you put on the emotions.

tire pressure wheel balancing are the wheels hub centric are the calipers on tight. I would go through and double check everything
    -Mike
    2006 Evolution IX MR - 433/400 E85
    1987 Mazda RX-7 LS1 T56
    2005 SRT-4

its possible its a lil bit of coincidence being tied in there... perhaps the spirited drive put deposits on your rotors giving you slight pulsation when applying them. then they probably resurfaced themselves with just a lil bit of driving then the blow out came. after driving on the other wheels the rotors probably cleaned up the rest of the way leaving you feeling a shimy at 65+. shimmy from 68-appx 80 is generally from an out of balance wheel, even if its only a 1/4 of an ounce off. which could be why it now feels perfect again...

make sure when you put your other wheels back on that all are balanced and you should be back to smooth driving... sounds like your already there with this balanced set anyways..