Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clay Bar

Default Clay Bar

Might be a noob question, is clay barring worth it (if one has the time) and also, how often do you use it...I am assuming I have the order correct that you wash and dry, then clay, then wax? Thanks guys

wash
    dry
    claybar
    polish
    wax

Quote Originally Posted by tartarus View Post
    Might be a noob question, is clay barring worth it (if one has the time) and also, how often do you use it...I am assuming I have the order correct that you wash and dry, then clay, then wax? Thanks guys
    Yes it is absolutely worth it if you know what your doing. And it all depends on your car as far as how often you need to apply. Sometimes it may need it more often.

claybar once a year, maybe twice,
    but the hood possibly more often, really helps get the bug residue off

use alot of lube, chop bar into eight equal pieces, so you can throw away after its dirty (keep folding it like dough to hide dirt/debris, till its not yellow)
    Evolution IX MR
    Eunos NA
    Cube S

I'm a lazy ass, so I try to claybar 2x a year. But like Shane said, claybar the hood more since it gets more crap thrown on it. Also I don't bother letting the car dry before claybarring.

Recaro | Momo | BBS | Bilstein | Brembo

you will be suprised what the claybar picks....its time consuming but well worted
    06 EVO IX SSL
    Few Bolt On's

Tuned by FFTEC

I claybar while the soap and water is on the car. rinse, Wash, claybar, rinse, dry. Works fine, no scratches and saves money on the claybar lube.
    Last edited by twEeker; 07-23-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twEeker View Post
    I claybar while the soap and water is on the car. rinse, Wash, claybar, rinse, dry. Works fine, no scratches and saves money on the claybar lube.
    This is not a proper way to clay bar a car. Most clay bars are made out of synthetics. Water and soap will only ruin these synthetics and increase the breakdown of your claybar.

You need to use actual clay lubricant when using and storing your clay bar.

I guess if your looking at saving money its either save your clay and have your clay be more effective or save on lube and the clay isnt going to last as long and thus making it less effective.

I disagree, if it is true that the soap breaks down the claybar, then it will do it so slowley it will be hardly noticable. I have a claybar I have detailed over a hundred cars with, still effective, and still leaves the car smooth and clean and the clay still has the same consistancy as the day I got it. The price of the lube isnt an issue, but why take that extra step when its really not needed.
    Last edited by twEeker; 07-31-2009 at 09:26 PM.

I highly doubt you have clayed over a hundred cars with the same clay bar because if you did you probably swirled those hundred cars you did.

Look bud, I have been doing detailing for almost a decade on a professional level so I know what I'm talking about. Your not going to fool me. The average synthetic clay bar when used properly for every 4 ounces lasts about every 3 cars depending on the severity of contaminants and industrial fallout there is on the car.

Also when i was a ameture I used soap and water with synthetic clay which is what all good brands of clay are made out of and I could definitely tell the difference in just the texture and effectiveness of the clay! Instead of doing 3 cars properly I could only get 1 done.

If you were to study detailing as I have over the years you will find that the biochemical makeup of these sythetic clays don't mesh well with soap and water. I have detailed a number of members cars on this forum and other forums and I am sure they will tell you that I know what I'm doing and talking about! I am definitely no bs'er.

If you want to know more on this topic I can definitely help you and answer any other questions you may have.

Otherwise please don't spread these false facts around because I'm tryin to preserve the paint and other surfaces on the communities cars not destroy them
    Last edited by evo+supra; 08-29-2009 at 12:42 PM.