Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question about slow driving (like backing up)

Default Newbie question about slow driving (like backing up)

I'm pretty new to manual cars and i was wondering if slipping the clutch was the only way to really back up and park in tight situations. If there is another more clutch-friendly way, please enlighten me. :?

vtluu Guest

The (stock) clutch is designed to slip for this very purpose. You won't smoke it unless you let it slip that way for a long time, or slip it while revving pretty high (trust me, I know ops. For example, you shouldn't slip your clutch to hold your position while "stopped" at a light on a hill. And if you're stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, leave a bit more distance in front of you so you can have a little room to roll, clutch fully engaged, in the appropriate gear (might be 1st or 2nd depending how slow things are moving) without having to hit the brakes or feather the clutch.

Default Re: Newbie question about slow driving (like backing up)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokoro
    I'm pretty new to manual cars and i was wondering if slipping the clutch was the only way to really back up and park in tight situations. If there is another more clutch-friendly way, please enlighten me. :?
    Here's a more clutch-friendly approach:

1. Find parking spot.
    2. Pull up so you're in front of it.
    3. Turn car off.
    4. Leave the gear shifter thingy (it's stick with a leather wrapped ball thingy on top of it) in the middle so it's not in a gear. It should be able to move freely from left to right.
    5. Do NOT remove the key from ignition! You'll see why in step 7.
    6. Look for traffic behind you first. Then open driver side door.
    7. Stick your left foot out and use it to push your car back into the space while steering.
    8. Use your right foot to apply the brake (pedal in the MIDDLE!) accordingly.
    9. Wash.
    10. Rinse.
    11. Repeat.

:shock:
    Quote Originally Posted by "bdking57"
    The bar significantly increases chasis stiffness and I found I could break traction on all 4 tires pretty easily.
    <br />

vtluu Guest

I wouldn't take "clutch-friendliness" tips from a guy who has quarter-mile times in his sig.

Quote Originally Posted by vtluu
    I wouldn't take "clutch-friendliness" tips from a guy who has quarter-mile times in his sig.
    I still have my original clutch in at 43k miles thank-you-very-much!

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by &quot;bdking57&quot;
    The bar significantly increases chasis stiffness and I found I could break traction on all 4 tires pretty easily.
    <br />

vtluu Guest

Do you seriously push your car when you parallel-park it?

Quote Originally Posted by vtluu
    Do you seriously push your car when you parallel-park it?
    I push my car whenever I park or back out/pull in to the driveway. I push my car for the first 60ft when I go drag racing too. This clutch is going to last me foreverrrrrrrrrr!!!1!!11!!!! :homer:
    Quote Originally Posted by &quot;bdking57&quot;
    <br />

I love the accurate and practical advice I get. I'm gonna go get extra grippy shoes now. 8)

sorry.. new to stick shift. feel sorry for my evo huh? what does "slip" mean?
    i love my evo.

Sorry I'm new to this, define slipping for me someone...
    HKS 264/272 Cams, Vishnu Adj. Cam Gears, Walbaro 255 Feul Pump, HKS Drop in Air Filter, Hallman MBC, ARP Head Studs, 2.75 Tanabe DP, RRE Rally Cat/Test Pipe, Apexi NOIR CBE, Whiteline Sway bar, Volks CE28ns 255/35/18

268.1 whp Tuned and Dyno'ed By Andy at and on SpeedElement Dyno Dynamics