Thread: Patrick B.'s Cert'd 8.50 ROLL CAGE

Default Patrick B.'s Cert'd 8.50 ROLL CAGE

Well since i have a few mins i'll start a thread here to document the fab work done by Jesse C. and the rest of us here at FFTEC MOTORSPORTS.

Just to catch some of you up on things i started a thread when we did the 5 point "ROLL BAR" a year or so back.

Unfortunately i only have the thread posted up on EvoM so here's the link to get you up to speed :book:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-sho...-roll-bar.html

So now on to the work that has just been completed..............there will be some add'l pics posted up once i receive the window net install kit as well as finishing up of the parachute mount but since i'm trying to make it to an event on the 24th i will go ahead with testing and tuning while at the same time fullfilling the requirements to get my NHRA 9 sec license :yahoo:

4130 Chromoly 1 5/8" x .083 (same as used for the roll bar portion)

Tape measure and the drag racers "BIBLE" lol

Getting to work getting the sections of 4130 ready for bending

Next up was to bend up all the bars (A-pillars / door bar / windshield / d-bars / floor bar)

I decided to do my cage a bit different than most as i didn't want to remove the a/c and heater along with cutting up the dash for the a-pillar bars so we bent the a-pillar bars in front of the dash as tight as can be while trying to keep the overall look/flow of the bars symmetrical. Also unlike other designs i prefer to run a windshield bar rather than a "halo" w/ the a-pillar bars coming off of them to keep things as tucked up and out of plain sight as possible.

For 2010 our local NHRA official wanted us to run the "d-bars" off the main hoop but instead of welding 6x6 plates to the floor or d/s tunnel it's NOW required to attach them to a separate transverse "floor bar" that is also welded to the rocker sills via 6x6 plates. (Not quite sure if other tracks or officials are requiring that just posting what was told to us)

I may get a ton of slack for this but hey it's my car and my money so i have it done to my own specifics and since i like to term this my STRIP/STREET car in addition to keeping the bars as tucked up and out of view as possible i also wanted to run removable door bars to ease getting into and out of when not racing etc. These are Chris Alston Chassis Works NHRA legal swing-outs that we turned vertical to allow full removal vs. swinging out.

Jesse and i thought long and hard about the way the a-pillars are bent as well as the rest of the bars to allow the use of every single interior piece that came with the Evo so once i post up the final pics you'll see it looks completely stock except for the black jungle gym inside LOL!

I think that's about it for explanation there are much more specifics that i can share via pm etc but so much that i don't care to type it all out so on to more pics!

*** You'll notice that the main hoop bars were once bolted to the floor w/ 6x6 plate but take a closer look and you'll see everything is now TIG'd ***

Here are the pics of the front section of the cage an example of the swing-out clevis used

Well that's about it for progress pics!

We still have to finish up the window net and harness strap retainers and again the parachute so i will continue to update with better quality pics.

Matter of fact i snapped some pics with the interior in it at lunch and can get those up later tonight for you all but for now lmk what you think!

ONCE AGAIN THANKS TO JESSE C. AND THE ENTIRE FFTEC MOTORPSORTS CREW FOR AN AWESOME ROLL CAGE IT'S ALMOST TIME TO GO RACING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW. looks good Pat..
    2003 Evolution VIII

Way 2 go Pat! Cali needs an 8 second evo so now that your gonna be legal its time to fill that void! lol
    06 Evo IX MR___________

-GT35R
    -Built Head/Ported, 1mm overs
    -Built 2.0L
    -Shep Trans

Stock maf maxed out waiting for E-85 speed density setup

looks a lot better in person...

yes we need a west coast 8 sec evo..!
    06 EVO IX SSL
    Few Bolt On's

Tuned by FFTEC

Thanks guys and technically there are already 2 known 8 sec Evo's

1 - Paul Nelson from English Racing (his car is now in the hands of the guys at ER and hopefully will be out again sometime)

2 - Dan Bajalis from Nevada ( Was an AMS fully built drag only car that ran in the 8's but haven't heard about it in a looong time)

Lots of cash and time needed to go 8's and i didn't want to completely strip this chassis so i don't think it will ever get there sorry fellas i'm just looking for a consistant 9 sec strip/street Evo!

I know about paul and dans cars which reside in nevada and washington but neither of them are in cali...its all good though runnin 9's consistantly aint no joke either!
    06 Evo IX MR___________

-GT35R
    -Built Head/Ported, 1mm overs
    -Built 2.0L
    -Shep Trans

Stock maf maxed out waiting for E-85 speed density setup

nice roll cage and custom too.....custom FTW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sol_tegra View Post
    nice roll cage and custom too.....custom FTW!!!
    Thank you!

And since this sub-forum is pretty D-E-A-D here are some more pics of the work.

The d/s loop needs to be modified a little but this is what Jesse did real quick as we were trying to get to last weekend's CMI race but just simply ran out of time as we encountered a mis-fire issue that has now been resolved

Window net is in:

And here's the d/s loop Jesse fab'd for me on short notice: