Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing my timing belt.

how did it go? any news?

Quote Originally Posted by 03Silver View Post
    how did it go? any news?
    Haven't done it yet. I am getting the parts ordered first online. I only have 60,089 and that's 98% freeway miles and also reading up on the procedure. There is one procedure though I don't understand and that is the one where you have to take a bolt out on the oil side of the pump and stick a screw driver in it. If you are just replacing the belt, why would anything inside the pump move?
    My girlfriend asked me: "It's either me or the car!".............Boy I miss her cooking.

if you never done it before, its a must do procedure. cause if you dont do it and the pulley goes out of the alignment more than what it should be, youll get engine vibration
    2003 Evolution VIII

i always just put the oil gear at 12o'clock and if its in balance it will fall towards the timing mark the left i belive and if it not rotate full turn and repeat untill it does
    Injen Lower IC pipe
    SE omg filter
    3" turbo back with test pipe
    Ebay o2
    buddyclub 272's
    spoolinup coil on plug
    ix turbo ported
    ix DV valve
    JDM MAP
    GM 3 port
    tein s-tech's
    JDM ix rear
    JDM tails
    do-luck rep CF lip

tuned by jay@boostedtuning

just leave all the timing marks lined up and dont let the gear rotate as you put on the new one. i just did mine 2 days ago. i didnt see a plug anywhere along the bottom edge of my block, front or rear. but i just didnt let anything spin. the 2 tools are a must for the tensioner pulley, and having something to hold the cam gears in place helps out tons. jayracing.com i believe has the 3 piece tool kit available. i think the most tricky part was getting the water pump pulley off. lol

Sorry i'm not one of the mechanics but do have a bit of knowledge on these motors as i'm around them daily in all stages of being built.

I'm assuming he's talking about where to inspect to see if the balance shaft is in phase..........hence why everyone is basically suggesting to just becareful to not let the gears move from when you get TDC and remove the tensioer and belt.

exactly. theres a step that calls for making sure a screwdriver can go inside a hole to ensure the shaft is heavy side down. if it only goes in 20mm or so then you need to rotate, if it goes in 60mm your good. but i didnt see a plug anywhere to remove. i just made sure nothing rotated. all went smooth first turn of key.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageEvo8 View Post
    i didnt see a plug anywhere along the bottom edge of my block, front or rear.
    its actually right under the 02 housing
    2003 Evolution VIII

oohhhh. hmmm. well good thing i didnt let any of the pulleys rotate. lol. i didnt see anything. do you have to have the downpipe and o2 housing out to access it?

Quote Originally Posted by SavageEvo8 View Post
    oohhhh. hmmm. well good thing i didnt let any of the pulleys rotate. lol. i didnt see anything. do you have to have the downpipe and o2 housing out to access it?
    Even with my tubular mani and licp w/ my wg dump it would make it waaaay easier to access it.

With stock stuff still there i'm sure it would be quite a chore