Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing my timing belt.

Default Changing my timing belt.

Hey guys. Well it's about that time. I am going to change my timing belt and accessory belt and water pump etc. Is there anything to watch out for? I have changed timing belts before on my other cars so I shouldn't have any problems....I hope. Just wondering if there is anything special to watch out for. Also, what is this timing belt tool use for or how do you use it. I have tons of tools and I read on other car manuals (not Mitsu.) that you need special tools to do a timing belt but I have been able to get around those and save me a lot of money. So anybody that has done it, please chime in.

thanks in advance
    My girlfriend asked me: "It's either me or the car!".............Boy I miss her cooking.

The timing belt tool is basically a threaded tool to releive the pressure on the belt tensioner.

Just be sure you feel very comfortble with keeping the cam and crank timing w/in proper spec when removing and replacing the belt as well as keeping the balance shafts in phase if they are still in this motor.

Best of luck and we are here in case you feel it's a bit too much to tackle

Quote Originally Posted by PAT@FFTEC View Post
    The timing belt tool is basically a threaded tool to releive the pressure on the belt tensioner.

Just be sure you feel very comfortble with keeping the cam and crank timing w/in proper spec when removing and replacing the belt as well as keeping the balance shafts in phase if they are still in this motor.

Best of luck and we are here in case you feel it's a bit too much to tackle
    Cool, thanks guys. I know what you mean about the cam. I had the same issue on my LS motor not lining up with one of the tooth on the cam gear. About the balance shaft, I know how they work but what is the benefit of taking it out. I know on the Honda scene that alot of guys remove them.
    My girlfriend asked me: "It's either me or the car!".............Boy I miss her cooking.

i also need to replace mine. hehe.

post a write up if u can. tnx
    03 LY GSR
    390whp/337wtq
    on E85
    stock turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by mhezz13 View Post
    i also need to replace mine. hehe.

post a write up if u can. tnx
    Two timing belt how-to's from EvoM.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...placement.html

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...-belt-how.html

i dont think i have the mad skills to do that. lol.
    03 LY GSR
    390whp/337wtq
    on E85
    stock turbo.

its easy, but getting to it is a PIA

you also need this tool to properly tigthen up the bolt on the belt pulley before releasing the pin on the Tensioner..

MD998767
    2003 Evolution VIII

We'd be happy to take care of that for you if you think it's too involved

It's a bit pain-staking to get everything off the front of the motor as space is limited and after that it's mainly about the timing of things and then everything has to go back on........it is nice to have the lift at the shop.

PM if you need anything

Quote Originally Posted by PAT@FFTEC View Post
    We'd be happy to take care of that for you if you think it's too involved

It's a bit pain-staking to get everything off the front of the motor as space is limited and after that it's mainly about the timing of things and then everything has to go back on........it is nice to have the lift at the shop.

PM if you need anything
    2003 Evolution VIII

i just did my whole job yesterday. the tools i would HIGHLY recommend. i could handle it for ya for a few hundred in labor, pretty sure thats less than any shop will do labor wise. im always down for side jobs. good luck if you do it, its not bad, just time consuming.