Thread: Notes from Dave's workbench regarding our transmissions (posted from another forum)

Default Notes from Dave's workbench regarding our transmissions (posted from another forum)

Hi Everyone,
    I wanted to share what I've seen during my time working on Mitsu drivelines and give you some tips to help make your trannies, transfer cases, and rear diffs live a little longer.

First I wanted to thank those who came to me for transmission and transfer case repairs and upgrades. Some of you guys can be hard on the driveline!

One of the easiest and most common form of preventative maintenance is to change the tranny fluid. The recommended factory interval is every 30k miles, which is fine for a daily driver that has no mods and is driven gently. For those with mild mods and who go WOT a few times a day I'd recommend changing the fluids at least once a year, or every 15k miles. Maybe sooner depending on how much power the car makes and the style of driving. I've seen several trannies with a layer of film inside from old oil. This is a sign that the oil has reached it's capacity for removing contaminants, and the oil has already started breaking down. Frequent oil changes are especially important if the trans has a gear grinding issue since grinding a gear will shave off metal particles that remain suspended in the tranny fluid until it's drained.

It's common for the roll pins to back out when shifting quickly. These roll pins hold the shift forks in place, and when they back out shifting stops. Normal shifting is fine, but forceful shifting tends to back them out over time. Since last year I've been safety-wiring the roll pins in place in every trans I work on. They won't come out.

I also found a way to increase the oil flow volume into the internal oil passages for better lubrication. It's a simple mod that diverts more fluid into the main passage that feeds oil to the center of the gear shafts where it continues flowing to the gearset, bearings, syncros, and sliders. This will add a little life to the moving parts. I'm happy to say that I didn't need to drill out anything, so all gears and shafts retain full thickness and strength. It may not be as good as a genuine trans oil cooler and pump setup, but it helps and it's a nice free mod that will benefit anyone on the road course or drag strip.

There is definately an issue with the EVO8/9 5th/reverse gears grinding. I'm sorry, there's no easy fix. The 5th/reverse syncros are smaller than the other syncros, and they're overworked. All I can say for now is to shift a little more gently in these gears. If reverse is being stubborn try shifting into another gear first, then try reverse again. If that doesn't work then reverse may be too far gone.

HTH

Dave W.

nice!
    2003 Evolution VIII

very good writeup!
    06 Evo IX MR___________

-GT35R
    -Built Head/Ported, 1mm overs
    -Built 2.0L
    -Shep Trans

Stock maf maxed out waiting for E-85 speed density setup

I knowyou guys probably saw that on the other site but thought it'd be useful to post it up here as well