Thread: Non-current register cars are not allowed to be towed

Default Non-current register cars are not allowed to be towed

Just come across this 'law' recently, link and highlight follows.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr01.htm

Code:
    What’s the Difference?

California law requires vehicles to be currently registered if they are driven, 
    towed, stored, or parked on public roads or highways at any time during 
    the registration period.

Non-operational means that the vehicle will not be driven, towed, stored, 
    or parked on public roads or highways for the entire registration year.
    Supposedly, all cars that is not currently registered or registered as non-op requires a 1 day moving permit. However what about those 'show cars' and 'track cars' or even some JDM cars that never get registered here in CA before?

Please share your thoughts here, thanks

if im correct, as long as all tires are off the ground and is on a flat bed or car transporter you can haul it.

4sure u cant tow in cali if you have expired tags or registration.

Eh.... just like smog regulations, just plain wack. Yet another way to make some extra cash, I wonder how much is the 1 day permit ? however what are the actual chances of you or a tow truck get pulled over if you were buying an old car that has sat for a long time in a barn, or so. I am sure a allright cop or cool cop will cut you a slack a bit.
    3300 LBS. of stock sexyness
    Proud sponsor of :

one day permit is free if you tell dmv your trying to get the car smoged

Quote Originally Posted by sol_tegra View Post
    one day permit is free if you tell dmv your trying to get the car smoged
    If that is the case I retract my statement. however do you have to go to the DMV though? and wait at those fun long lasting lines ? or can you just contact them over the phone or even online?
    3300 LBS. of stock sexyness
    Proud sponsor of :

Thanks for all the valuable inputs! Yes I found that 1 day moving permit is free. However it takes a long while either to book a DMV appointment or to stand in line ac hoc...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr01.htm

Once you fi le the REG 102, you may obtain a no-fee, special moving permit at any DMV offi ce and, without paying renewal fees, move the vehicle from its current storage place to a new storage location for repairs, alteration, vehicle inspection, smog inspection, weighing construction (for an incomplete vehicle), or for its permanent wrecking or dismantling. Permits are valid for one day only, and the date is printed on the permit.
    I learned this rule because I was told by the tow truck driver that towing a expired tag car can get him a ticket if spotted by police officer... and he got a flatbed. So I really don't know if he just making up excuses or if it's for real.