Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th Grinds

Default 4th Grinds

Hey fellows, like the title says. I searched around evom and here and it was mostly cars thats been modded highly. My car isn't heavily modded and has 88xxx miles. I did my 60k at 75k and did the clutch at 80k. I changed the fluids involving the trans twice. My brother the first owner did it once at 40k and I did it when the new clutch was put in. I am using exedy stage 1 with redline fluid since I couldn't find a Mitsubishi at the time to get diaqueen.

Now I just noticed yesterday night when I drove my car that every time I go into 4th it grinds. At first it was when I shift quickly. Then as I started to shift normally it was fine. As I drove a couple more miles it started to grind even when I shifted normally. I take it that the gear is worned out? Sounds costly...
    03' VIII GSR - HKS RS Intake, Tanabe Concept G Blue TBE, HKS UICP W/ HKS SSQBOV, Full-Race Stock Replacement Manifold, IX Turbo...

Things Next On My List: 272 Camshafts, Cam Gears, Valves, Springs, Retainers and Tune

synchros???? maybe, although the odd part about this is that, I am kinda wondering if Redline transmission fluid is not as good as it used to be, since I personally been using Redline for almost my past 3 tranny fluids changes and it has been great, however this last time (my 4th time) I have noticed my car has not been shifting or feeling the same, it feels a little more nochy to shift, grinding everyone once in a while, maybe my car is also getting old. However I have been hearing from other people about some issues with their shifting. IDK. I am going to replace my fluids with Amsoil next service.
    3300 LBS. of stock sexyness
    Proud sponsor of :

if you dont drive like a 90 yr old then tranny fluid change every 15k in my opinion. if its grinding my guess in syncro's but the only real way to tell is to take it apart >.< I would try a fluid change then take it from there... also, grind any gears lately? my friend had one bad grind and the same thing started up in his srt
    TB Evo IX SSL
    E85 @ 29 psi
    Tuned by Sean @ FFTEC

I was thinking synchros or maybe low on fluid. But i might change it to diaqueen again this weekend or so. *sigh* No grinds else where besides 4th. Every morning when I start it in the morning, I always go into all gears and fourth is always the hardest to get into. Not soft but it feels like it is being locked. This was after the clutch job. Some mornings, i cant go into gear at all because its all locked.
    03' VIII GSR - HKS RS Intake, Tanabe Concept G Blue TBE, HKS UICP W/ HKS SSQBOV, Full-Race Stock Replacement Manifold, IX Turbo...

Things Next On My List: 272 Camshafts, Cam Gears, Valves, Springs, Retainers and Tune

Like i said in my PM to you i would first try and adjust the clutch before wasting themoney on that Redline fluid and the new diaqueen to see if that helps out at all.

If it's only in 4th gear i'd venture to think it's more to do with the clutch not fully dis-engaging and/or a worn synchro.

Does it change after the car is fully warmed up (transmission fluid wise not coolant temp)?

Here is wat i noticed so far:
    1. When I slowly shift at 2500 it goes in with no grind. But if i sped up going into 4th it grinds. Seems like even slowly goin in gear over 2500 grinds.
    2. As for the temp it is fine.

It seems to be dis engaging fine because it goes into gear just grinds first as it is in.

Quote Originally Posted by VIII View Post
    Here is wat i noticed so far:
    1. When I slowly shift at 2500 it goes in with no grind. But if i sped up going into 4th it grinds. Seems like even slowly goin in gear over 2500 grinds.
    2. As for the temp it is fine.

It seems to be dis engaging fine because it goes into gear just grinds first as it is in.
    That sounds like a synchro issue to me.

So if 4th gear never did that before the Redline fluid than i'd change it back and see if it goes away.

If not then it probably wont' matter what fluid is in there the synchro simply needs to be replaced............as well as other parts ie. hub slider etc

Man...sounds costly. It just had to be the month I'm broke. Guess cams will wait.

Quote Originally Posted by VIII View Post
    Man...sounds costly. It just had to be the month I'm broke. Guess cams will wait.
    Main cost would be the R&Ring of the trans to get to the synchros.

With any trans issues if it's coming apart it's best to get a good look at everythig while you're in there as you'd hate to ahve to re-do the work for an issue that arises later that could have been caught with a thorough inspection.

That's why i mentioned trying diff fluid if the 4th gear grind wasn't present with oem diaqueen in there.

Well, I'll probably do the change of fluid sometime next month due to money situations. Also, should I get diaqueen, amsoil or bg synchromesh? I hear good things about amsoil and bg synchromesh as well just like redline. Redline shifted smoothly when I first put it in 8000 miles ago. Well, I'll let you know what's happening Pat, thanks.
    Last edited by VIII; 11-17-2010 at 02:17 PM.