Thread: whistling noise as soon as car starts to boost

Default whistling noise as soon as car starts to boost

new here guys and i need help?

just idling and then snapping the rpm's to 5K it would boost and whistle, when driving as soon as it starts to boost it will whistle. does this sound like a boost leak or not? i have the turbo smart bov on and i thought maybe it was causing it so i swapped it out to the stock plastic bov and it made no difference. one more thing, it just threw a P0300 code but does seem to drive ok.
    Last edited by fayn10; 04-04-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fayn10 View Post
    new here guys and i need help?

just idling and then snapping the rpm's to 5K it would boost and whistle, when driving as soon as it starts to boost it will whistle. does this sound like a boost leak or not? i have the turbo smart bov on and i thought maybe it was causing it so i swapped it out to the stock plastic bov and it made no difference. one more thing, it just threw a P0300 code but does seem to drive ok.
    do a boost leak test.. what year is your car?
    2003 Evolution VIII

Quote Originally Posted by RREVOVIII View Post
    do a boost leak test.. what year is your car?
    isn't that the same thing mine was doing?

OP...is the noise coming from around the throttle body? Cause that is where mine was coming from.

performed boost leak and found that it was leaking from the BOV itself and from the turbine outlet pipe. i slapped on the stock BOV and got a new gasket from the dealer and all is well. thanks for the help guys!!!