Thread: coolant temp

Default coolant temp

I have a 03 evo and i replaced the radiator with a koyo rad. Now i drive the car normally and the temp gage goes to cold and the car idles up like if was cold also my heater does not put any beast anymore. Should i change the thermalstat to a lower temp.type?

Does the car eventually reach normal operating temp after driving for a while?

From your brief description it sounds like more of a thermostat stuck "open" not allowing the fluid in the head/block to reach normal operating temp.

After a little bit of time sitting at idle it will go up like normal or when i drive and than stop in idle it will show normal. Someone told me that i needed a different thremostat

Going to a lower temp T-stat would have similar effect as to having a T-stat stuck in the open position but not as dramatic.

When stuck open it will take forever to get the car up to norm operating temp like i explained in the other post.

Sounds like you have a stuck T-stat and could use just a standard replacement.

Im with pat it sounds like the T-stat is in the open position take it out and inspect it or just replace it
    -Mike
    2006 Evolution IX MR - 433/400 E85
    1987 Mazda RX-7 LS1 T56
    2005 SRT-4