Thread: Hi, newbie from Ohio

Default Hi, newbie from Ohio

Hi everyone, excited to be back in the Bay Area. Grew up in Hayward and moved away to Cleveland, OH 16 years ago....just relocated back a couple weeks ago to Danville.

Have a silver Evo 8 and surprisingly have not seen any Evos on this side of the Bay since moving here.

I had a couple of Cali noob questions for the NorCal veterans:

1) Has anyone used octane boost to bump 91 octane to 93? Being from Ohio, frankly almost any other part of the country, super unleaded means 93 octane, not California's wonderful watered down premium. I'm tuned specifically for 93, before I get re-tuned I was planning on just running 91 with some octane boost. I know it's pricey in the long run but wondered if anyone has done so in the past?

2) To follow up that question, where is the best place to get dyno tuned in the Bay Area? I will subsequently search this board to become better educated, but is Vishnu still big around here?

3) How do modded Evos or any other modded cars in general pass smog tests? In Ohio there is E-Check which does consist of an OBD-II read and visual cat inspection, does anyone know how much more stringent the testing is in California? I know smog checks are done at shops instead of county funded stations but am interested in the process they do to smog test the vehicle? Do they do sniffer tests or just plug into the OBD-II?

4) How stringent are front plate laws in California? In Ohio they were supposed to be securely mounted but I know in some states they are optional.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to meeting some other fellow local Evo members.

Oh and here's a not so recent photo of my Evo:

Welcome back to CA!

Unfortunately we have the most strict of smog laws here as well as general car rules to boot (tint, exhaust noise levels, front plate, etc.

Sorry but we're stuck with 91 oct pretty much everywhere that is why if it's available to you we do a lot of E85 conversions so that you can run fuel that is equal to many racing fuels in terms of oct once your fuel system is up to par.

Great deal as E85 locally is much cheaper than the 91 out of the pumps

We don't rec'd using oct booster as it's a very inconsistant way of bumping the oct rating and can cause havoc with your tune and overall performance.

I'd suggest that you contact me via pm or give us a call at the shop as we tune many of the Evo's in this area on our Mustang Dyno.

We are currently in the process of relocating to our new larger facility to better accomodate our patients and we will still be in the Hayward area just down the street from our current location in Union City.

Please check out our site, blog, etc for info on us and the cars we build, service, and tune!

www.FFTEC.com

Welcome to NCE. Stay tuned for a meet coming up end of the month.