Thread: Bad spark plug or bad wires?

Default Bad spark plug or bad wires?

I have recently been having a missfire issue around 4-5k rpm. It seems like it only happens when I start WOT from a low rpm like crusing on the freeway in 5th then going WOT. It will pop and hesitate then continue normally till redline. No CEL though.

Anyway, from reading on here it seemed like changing the plugs was a good way to start resolving the issue. I pulled the bpr7eix stock equivalent irridiums with 26k miles on them and the electrodes all look normal, as you can see in the picture.
    IMG_0455.jpg
    The other end of one of them though looks corroded and the porcelain is turning yellow at the base.

I was just wondering if this was a bad plug, or is it time to replace my plug wires?

IMG_0457.jpg
    GST Tuned to 301/270

check the gap on em

Recaro | Momo | BBS | Bilstein | Brembo

Oops. Forgot to put that in. They were all .027-.028. Didn't really think it was a gap problem since they had been in so long with no problems.
    GST Tuned to 301/270

Try gapping them to .024 to .022 and see if the problem goes away.

I put in copper plugs gapped at .025. So far so good. I have my 60k service comming up soon so I'll probably be changing the plug wires then anyway. Thanks
    GST Tuned to 301/270

Really no reason to change the COPs unless they are going bad. I'm suspecting your plugs to be gapped to wide. But if you want to change them, no real reason why not to... except they are pricey to get new units.