Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autocross Rules and how they apply to the EVO

Default Re: Autocross Rules and how they apply to the EVO

funny, i figured since the bov is a mistu part it would be fine... not to mention mine is an MR making it even weirder that it disqualifies me.

Quote Originally Posted by AreSTG
    funny, i figured since the bov is a mistu part it would be fine... not to mention mine is an MR making it even weirder that it disqualifies me.
    that is the silly part. If you use the EVO IX BOV, it's legal through update/backdate rules. But since this is technically a JDM MR BOV, the rules don't allow it :roll: because the part is JDM, not USDM.

Either way, this is a minor issue since your cams will bump you anyway.
    Code:
    sub<br />b{[@b=(abs||No,bottle.”s”x!!++$_,of,beer),on,the,wall]}print<br />“@{+b},\n@b,\nTake one down, pass it around,\n@{+b}.\n”<br />for-pop||-99..-1

what is autocross like on your car(wear-and-tear) as compared to tracking it?

I hear ppl tlaking about going through pads, eating up rotors etc. etc. and wondering how autocross is compared to that.* I think autocross is a bigger thing than i thought it was, i assumed it was for everyday ppl to do now and then on a weekend, ppl that dont want to step up to tracking their car.* Can people win money off autocross?

also another question... what are the speeds liek in autocross? I assumed it was kind of a sit in 2nd the whole time... bottom of 2nd in teh turns top if 2nd inbetween them, looked all very low speed to me in the vids i've seen online

Quote Originally Posted by AreSTG
    what is autocross like on your car(wear-and-tear) as compared to tracking it?

I hear ppl tlaking about going through pads, eating up rotors etc. etc. and wondering how autocross is compared to that. I think autocross is a bigger thing than i thought it was, i assumed it was for everyday ppl to do now and then on a weekend, ppl that dont want to step up to tracking their car. Can people win money off autocross?

also another question... what are the speeds liek in autocross? I assumed it was kind of a sit in 2nd the whole time... bottom of 2nd in teh turns top if 2nd inbetween them, looked all very low speed to me in the vids i've seen online
    the original rotors and brake pads lasted a single season. I replaced the clutch at 24k miles. On street tires, I went through 2 sets a year, more if you drive real aggressive. My race rubber has lasted all season on a single set, but the last several events have not been the best since the tires are well past their prime.

You can make some money in the SCCA Pro-solo. It's not much, a set of tires maybe. To be good enough to win at the national level requires a lot of skill. Speeds are not much higher 70 mph (top end of second). At the AAS events in atwater, they have room for courses that have been clocked at over 90 (pretty much a 3rd gear course)

Code:
    sub<br />b{[@b=(abs||No,bottle.”s”x!!++$_,of,beer),on,the,wall]}print<br />“@{+b},\n@b,\nTake one down, pass it around,\n@{+b}.\n”<br />for-pop||-99..-1

Tim, you may not be able to go light speed on an autox course, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun. I wish I had done it before trying to track the Evo, as it gives you a better idea of some of the car's limits (i.e. you're not invincible with AWD). In addition, if you're lucky, you might even run into Tam's roommate, who will tell you some pretty funny stories about our favorite Canadian. :lol:

to be perfectly honest i don't want to go light speed, and to be even more honest thats what cares me about going to a track without first learning some of my car limits..... not braking for a blind 20mph turn when im still going 90mph, ya know.

Man 70mph, faster than i expected for sure. Will 2nd gear take me to 70 even on an MR tranny? I'm thinking even if it would, i'd have lsot alot of power by that rpm, but maybe its faster not to shift out, jsut to have to shift back down, i'll see i guesse.

How much is it to go to a practice event like last week? And Chris, how often do you autocross? two sets of tires sounds like alot of racing, is autocross a year-round thing?

I haven't the slightest clue how fast you can go in 2nd, but since you have a 6 speed I assume it's slower than in a non-MR. I wish I had tried to downshift after learning the course, but I'll save that exercise for next time. As a beginner (or when you're first learning the course), it's probably better to keep it in 2nd so you can concentrate on the braking points and turning.

The event was $55, but that included lunch. I'm going to join the GGLC because that drops the price to $42.50, so you'll pay off membership after only 2 events. If you go to every event, you'll save yourself at least $50 in the end. They only have practices 6 to 7 times a year, and I doubt I'll ever do more than that. I'm going to just use the RT615s as double-duty tires, and just replace them as necessary. Keeping a set of stock wheels around is a waste of space for me right now.

EDIT -- not really my business, but we should probably move this discussion to the "GGLC July 22" thread instead. We should try to keep this thread only related to the Evo & autocrossing rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Matz
    In addition, if you're lucky, you might even run into Tam's roommate, who will tell you some pretty funny stories about our favorite Canadian. :lol:
    Indeed...

9. Default Re: Autocross Rules and how they apply to the EVO

Can you STU guys help?

I am new to the forum and hope this is in the right spot.

To stay in STU legally, I was told to change the intercooler piping back to stock, and disconnect the three point strut tower brace at the firewall making it a two point again. Even though the cars come with a stock three point I was told because mine is the aluminum MMNA accessory I have to take it back to stock or disconnect the third point at the firewall.

Do you guys agree? Anything else that can not be run in STU? In STU it is ok, in SM we would be up against some crazy cars. We have also a adjusted the camber obviously and put a little front end rake in the car by lifting the rear up.

Any other help would be great. I am not new to Mitsu's but am new to autocrossing Evo's.

Thanks in advance,

Derek

Here is a list of what has been done to the car.

Ralliart Coil Over Adjustable Suspension
    Ralliart Exhaust
    Ralliart Intercooler Piping
    Ralliart Sports Air Suction Pipe
    Ralliart Radiator Hose
    Ralliart Spark Plug Cable Set
    Ralliart High Flow Panel Filter
    18 inch RAYS Wheels with
    MMNA Front Corner Air Dam's
    MMNA Aluminum Front Strut Tower Brace
    MMNA Aluminum Rear Strut Brace
    MMNA Hyperground Kit
    MMNA Gauges
    Mitsubishi Motors Club of York, PA<br />www.cardomain.com/id/dmeluzio22<br />www.yorkmitsubishi.com<br />www.ralliartusa.com<br />www.scca-susq.com

KareBearPowa Guest

wow that is a baller mod list.