Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autocross Rules and how they apply to the EVO

Default Autocross Rules and how they apply to the EVO

Hey all!

This thread is all about how to get your EVO ready for autocross. This thread was actually borrowed from the old nabisco site from this thread. I have modified the contents to reflect the differences with the EVO.

This is a summary of important SCCA Auto-X (Solo II) rules, with a special emphasis on classes that the EVO can run in, listing which popular mods are allowed in which class. It should answer the most common question, but it does not replace the official rule book, which contains the full details for all the points mentioned here, plus many more rules. There is also a number of links to additional valuable resources at the end of this post.

[size=16px]Classes[/size]

Which class you are running in is decided by the car model you drive, plus a category depending on the modifications you make to your car. With increasing levels of modifications, a logical progression is from Stock category (cars with no or minimal modifications) over Street Touring, Street Prepared to Street Modified. There are categories beyond Street Modified (Prepared, Modified) that are not within the scope of this document.

The possible classes for a EVO are:
    • Stock: AS
    • Street Touring: (STU) *new supplemental class
    • Street Prepared: BSP
    • Street Modified: SM
    • X Prepared: XP
    • F Prepared: FP

One essential principle is common to all the rules: If a modification is not explicitly authorized by the rules, it is not allowed, no matter how trivial it seems.

[size=16px]Stock Rules (AS)[/size]

The following modifications are allowed in stock class:
    • Port installed options: rear spoiler, diff protector, armrest extension (specifically allowed in February '03 FasTrack, the general rules allow factory options only).
    • Appearance, comfort and convenience options, e. g. gauges, alarms, turbo timers, shift knobs.
    • Removal of spare tire, tools and jack.
    • Harness (seat belts cannot be removed).
    • Any DOT approved tires (see rules for restrictions), including R-compounds, of any size (no modification of fender well).
    • Wheels (stock size only, offset within 0.25" of stock).
    • Wheel spacers (resulting offset within 0.25" of stock).
    • Lug nuts.
    • Brake pads, speed bleeders.
    • Shocks that maintain stock ride height, can be adjustable. See rule book for details!
    • Front sway bar.
    • Different alignment using factory adjustments (no camber bolts, must be within factory specifications).
    • Spark plugs.
    • Air filter element can be removed or replaced.
    • Cat-back exhaust.[/list:u]

[size=16px]ESP Rules[/size]

All modifications from the Stock rules are allowed. In addition, we can apply update/backdate rules (only if you run a DSM)

Modifications not allowed. don't even try these mods in ESP or your protest bait.
      • Absolutely no changes are allowed to the turbo or any system that regulates boost (electronic or mechanical). Increased boost levels from the allowed modifications is allowed.
      • No blow off valves, period. they regulate the boost levels.[/list:u]
        Modifications allowed:
        • Remove air condition.
        • Pedal covers.
        • Any seat that is fully upholstered seating.
        • Removal of factory emblems (debadging).
        • Rolling of inside fender lip.
        • Fenders and bumpers may be cut to accomidate larger wheels.
        • Addition of body kits.
        • Replace rear wing and bumper covers.
        • Wheels of any diameter, any width
        • Cross drilled and/or slotted brake rotors that are of a similar construction (no 2 peice rotors).
        • Brake lines, e. g. stainless steel.
        • Air ducts for brakes. (provided none of the body structure is modified)
        • Shocks (fewer restrictions than stock). No electronic adjustment, like Tein EDFC!
        • Springs (can be height adjustable, e. g. coilovers).
        • Any suspension bushings, except for metal.
        • Adjustable camber plates (caster adjustment allowed).
        • Camber bolts.
        • Rear sway bar, mounts, end links
        • Strut bars (not triangulated, unless it's from the factory).
        • Battery, relocation of battery (to trunk).
        • Air Intake.
        • Headers.
        • Any piggyback ECU that intercepts fuel and ignition trim levels ONLY. Any piggyback ECU that cannot be setup with this configuration is illegal.
        • Short-throw shifter.
        • Crankshaft and accessory pulleys.
        • Engine mounts (non-metallic).
        • Roll cages may be added (must be a 6 point unit with 2 optional braces) No braces may pass through the front firewall.
        • Fuel cells may be used, but may not have a capacity of more than 20% of the orignial gas tank.
        • The wiring harness may not be modified. If you remove emissions equipment and sensors, the wiring for those sensor must remain.
        • Emisisons equipment may be removed in part or as a whole.
        • intake mods are unrestricted.
        • Intercooler mods are unrestricted. (you cannot cut or remove the body structure to accomidate that massive front IC you want)
        • Exhaust mods (including the manifold) are unrestricted, but must exit the EVO behind the passenger compartment.
        • fuel lines and fuel pumps are unrestricted.
        • Any metallic flywheel and clutch assembly may be used. Any non metalic clutch friction material may be used (this included multi plate disks) You cannot change the clutch type from a pull type to push type.
        • Any limited slip diff is allowed (all three of them)
        • Any engine mounts may be used provided that they attach to the factory location with no modification required. The amount of metel may not be increased in proportion to the stock unit.[/list:u]
          NOTE: The EVO is not elligible for STS or STX, but it is important to learn the differences between these classes. STU offers an alternative to the Street prepared route. The EVO is under review for the 2004 season and may be bumped from ESP.

[size=16px]STS Rules[/size]

All modifications from the Stock rules are allowed, except for:
          • Tires only up to 225 width, and at least 140 tread wear rating.[/list:u]
            In addition, the following modifications are allowed:
            • Remove air condition.
            • Pedal covers.
            • Seat (fully upholstered seating surface, must weight at least 15 lbs).
            • Rolling of inside fender lip.
            • Addition of body kits.
            • Replace rear wing and bumper covers.
            • Wheels up to 7.5" width, any diameter
            • Cross drilled and/or slotted brake rotors (standard size).
            • Brake lines, e. g. stainless steel.
            • Air ducts for brakes.
            • Shocks (fewer restrictions than stock). No electronic adjustment, like Tein EDFC!
            • Springs (can be height adjustable, e. g. coilovers).
            • Any suspension bushings, except for metal.
            • Adjustable camber plates (caster adjustment allowed).
            • Camber bolts.
            • Rear sway bar, mounts, end links
            • Strut bars (not triangulated).
            • Battery, relocation of battery (to trunk).
            • Air Intake.
            • Headers.
            • Reprogrammed ECU or piggyback that controls ignition and fuel by modifying inputs to ECU.
            • Short-throw shifter.
            • Crankshaft and accessory pulleys.
            • Engine mounts (non-metallic).[/list:u]
              [size=16px]STX Rules[/size]

All modifications from the STS rules are allowed. In addition, the following modifications are allowed:
              • Tires up to 245 width.
              • Wheels up to 8.0" width.
              • Brake rotors (diameter equal or larger than factory, ferrous or aluminum alloy).
              • Brake calipers (original attachment point).
              • Disabled ABS (not removed).
              • Adjustable front control arms (only if no front camber plates or camber bolts are used). Must have non-metallic bushings, spherical bearings are not allowed.
              • Adjustable rear lateral links (only if no rear camber plates or camber bolts are used). Must have non-metallic bushings, spherical bearings are not allowed.
              • Uppipe (can be catless).
              • Turbo-back exhaust. Must contain at least one (high-flow) cat placed not more than 6" after the original exit of the last factory cat.
              • ECU reprogramming. Map must have unaltered factory boost maps.
              • Piggyback, see STS. No changes to boost control are permitted. Examples of allowed devices: whatme Unichip, Cobb Unichip without Boost Control Unit, Apexi S-AFC. Examples of illegal devices: TurboXS Unichip (controls boost), UTEC (acts as a standalone for timing control).[/list:u]
                [size=16px]STU Rules[/size]

All modifications from the STX rules are allowed. In addition, the following modifications are allowed:
                • Wheels of any width (tire width still limited to 245 for AWD vehicles).[/list:u]
                  [size=16px]Street Prepared Rules (DSP/ESP)[/size]

All modifications from the STU rules are allowed, except for:
                  • Body kits (only front and rear spoiler allowed).
                  • Non-standard brake rotors and calipers.
                  • Front control arms and rear lateral links.[/list:u]
                    In addition, the following modifications are allowed:
                    • Some updating/backdating with parts from different model years, see rule book for details.
                    • Modification (e. g. rolling, cutting) of fenders for tire clearance. Adding of fender flares.
                    • Seat (fully upholstered seating surface).
                    • Remove seatbelt for replacement with harness that meets safety restrictions.
                    • Any steering wheel.
                    • Front spoiler.
                    • Rear spoiler.
                    • Removal of radio/stereo.
                    • Any DOT approved tires (see rules for restrictions), including R-compounds, of any size.
                    • Wheels of any size and offset.
                    • Cross drilled and/or slotted brake rotors (ferrous, standard size, no two-piece).
                    • Brake cylinder.
                    • Fuel injectors and pump.
                    • Intercooler (including hoses).
                    • Intake water injection.
                    • Turbo-back exhaust (no cats required).
                    • Clutch (metal).
                    • Flywheel (metal).
                    • Shifter and shift linkage, e. g. short throw shifter.
                    • Differentials.
                    • Standalone engine management for non-turbo car (?).
                    • Port matching (see rule book).[/list:u]
                      [size=16px]Street Modified[/size]

Consult the rule book for details of the Street Modified rules. Street Modified inherits all allowances from Street Touring and Street Prepared. The following does not attempt to list all additional modifications that are legal in this class, it just lists a few popular mods that are common in Street Modified, but not allowed in Stock, Street Touring or Street Prepared:
                      • Certain replaced body parts: e. g. carbon fiber hood, fenders.
                      • Larger hood scoop, hood scoop splitter.
                      • Removed rear seats.
                      • Suspension control arms, lateral and trailing links.
                      • Metal bushings, subframe bushings.
                      • Different/updated turbo.
                      • Blow-off valve.
                      • Intercooler water spray (?).
                      • Any kind of boost control (MBC, EBC).
                      • Any other changes to boost control, like the popular resistor mod.
                      • Engine management systems that modify boost, e. g. Unichip with boost control unit, as sold by TurboXS and Cobb, UTEC, or reflashed ECU with altered boost maps.
                      • Standalone engine management.
                      • Internal engine modifications.
                      • Engine transplant with different Subaru engine.
                      • Different/updated transmission.
                      • Steering rack.[/list:u]
                        [size=16px]Beyond Street Modified[/size]

Consult the rule book for Prepared and Modified categories. The following list is just a reminder of a few popular mods that are not allowed in Stock, Street Touring, Street Prepared or Street Modified, they will put you into Prepared/Modified classes where you will be competing with race cars:
                        • Replaced body parts not allowed in SM: e. g. trunk lid, STi bumper beams (?).
                        • Weight reduction not explicitly allowed in SM: e. g. gutted interior, removed heater, wipers, lights.
                        • Tires that are not DOT approved (racing slicks).
                        • Braces other than strut tower braces: triangulated braces (V-braces), lower arm braces.[/list:u]
                          [size=16px]Not Allowed In Any Class[/size]

The following are not allowed in any class:
                          • Nitrous (bottles not allowed on event sites for safety reasons).[/list:u]
                            [size=16px]Uncertain Mods[/size]

No clear rules are currently available for the following popular mods:
                            • Ground wire mod.[/list:u]
                              [size=16px]Common Questions[/size]
                              • Why is my XYZ mod illegal? I ran with it all year, and tech never said anything!
                                Tech inspection is only responsible for checking if your car is safe. Properly classing your car is your own responsibility. Unless somebody files a protest, nobody will check if you have illegal mods for your class. Even if nobody ever protests, many people think that running with illegal mods is unfair and shows a lack of respect for your fellow competitors. [/list:u]
                                [size=16px]Additional Resources[/size]

FasTrack (official SCCA publication containing latest rule changes)
                                Solo II information on SCCA web site
                                Detailed rules on moutons.org (partly outdated)
                                Rules in table form (seems to have a few mistakes)
                                SCCA Forums (message boards)
                                Solo2.org (message boards)
                                SCCA San Francisco regional website
                                Many thanks go to the TheWRX, KC, TTrhoppe, and many others off nabisco for their contributions to this thread.

[edit] this sticky was so totally out of date.... go up to the site http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=61
                                to get the latest on the rules since with this car they always change. :roll:
    Code:
    sub<br />b{[@b=(abs||No,bottle.”s”x!!++$_,of,beer),on,the,wall]}print<br />“@{+b},\n@b,\nTake one down, pass it around,\n@{+b}.\n”<br />for-pop||-99..-1

Any ideas when STU will be implemented in SFR Solo2? Sounds like the class I would like to run in so I don't have to go out and get new rims and tires.

-Adrian

We ran STU at the last event. you need to be a member to participate. I have updated the thread to include the SCCA's website.
    Code:
    sub<br />b{[@b=(abs||No,bottle.”s”x!!++$_,of,beer),on,the,wall]}print<br />“@{+b},\n@b,\nTake one down, pass it around,\n@{+b}.\n”<br />for-pop||-99..-1

vtluu Guest

Also note that the SFR-SCCA already runs an indexed Street Tire class, so you can also run ST-AS or ST-ESP (obviously the latter, since ih it has a lower index (PAX) number) (or ST-SM if you have more mods).

Additionally, Novice classes (AS-N, ESP-N) are limited to street tires.

vtluu Guest

New 2006 Solo II rulebook is up: http://scca.com/_filelibrary/File/2006_solo_rules.pdf

Notable changes that apply to the Evo:
    - Evo moved from E Street Prepared to B Street Prepared;
    - Boost control changes now allowed in Street Prepared (but no BOV changes).

The rules make no mention of the Evo 9; I have no reason to believe it will be classed differently than the 8. It will probably be listed on the same line as the 8 as well, allowing update/backdates in SP and SM classes.

Default Re: Autocross Rules and how they apply to the EVO

i'm gunna list my mods, and hopefully somone can tell me what class (if any) im allowed into. I read thru it but it seemed almost like each of my mods would disqualify me from different classes.* I'd like to try low speed autocross b4 i try a Track...

Current mods:

TBE(stock cat/stock o2 housing)
    Greddy profec B II boost controller
    TTP Reflash
    JDM MR BOV
    Walbro FP
    BMC drop in filter

In the trunk(hopefully in soon):

HKS 272's
    Cam gears
    720cc Injectors
    ECU+
    Zeitronix O2
    GM map sensor

thanks, and if im missing a mod i'll add it soon

I don't think any of this matters if you're not trying to get points. You can do practice autocrosses like the one last weekend with the GGLC, and it's still loads of fun. Otherwise, I think you're with me in Street Modified, and I know I'd get my ass handed to me in that class. That's one thing that sucks about modding the car before thinking about what it's going to be used for... I'm in the same boat.

so cool thanks.

also, i would not be trying to beat the other people(i can't imagine how bad i'll look my first few times) but just to improve on my previous times. If i improve i'd be happy as hell. I want to get comfortable controlling my car under much more extrem conditions than what i can try on a open road ya know...

Quote Originally Posted by AreSTG
    so cool thanks.

also, i would not be trying to beat the other people(i can't imagine how bad i'll look my first few times) but just to improve on my previous times. If i improve i'd be happy as hell. I want to get comfortable controlling my car under much more extrem conditions than what i can try on a open road ya know...
    You'll definitely improve quickly! You should have seen my first run last weekend -- I was all over the place and doing all sorts of bad stuff. With in-car instruction and pointers from the Evo guys, I was chopping seconds off of my times with every consecutive run. As you go to more autoxs, your times will likely improve less dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by AreSTG
    i'm gunna list my mods, and hopefully somone can tell me what class (if any) im allowed into. I read thru it but it seemed almost like each of my mods would disqualify me from different classes. I'd like to try low speed autocross b4 i try a Track...

Current mods:

TBE(stock cat/stock o2 housing)
    Greddy profec B II boost controller
    TTP Reflash
    JDM MR BOV
    Walbro FP
    BMC drop in filter

In the trunk(hopefully in soon):

HKS 272's
    Cam gears
    720cc Injectors
    ECU+
    Zeitronix O2
    GM map sensor

thanks, and if im missing a mod i'll add it soon
    you are in Street Mod. It's kind of silly, but the JDM MR BOV puts you out of BSP. But that is really a minor point. After you install the cam gears you are definately in Street Mod.
    Code: