Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: launching

Quote Originally Posted by Audi2ptzero View Post
    Pat i was giving you a hard time, I know what a 2 step is seeing that my stand alone comes with it. I used to use it 2 years ago but I am able to launch just as hard without it and without putting as much stress on the tranmission.

Video a few years old of me launching with anti-lag at Sac Raceway http://centralvalleyspeed.com/forum/....4_12x_web.wmv

BTW it isnt exactly consistant, if the track surface changes it will change how effective the 2 step works. Not something you can change on the fly as you are staging. So if the conditions change so that there is even more traction you end up bogging the car since the rpms/power wont be enough to get the car out of the hole with a little tire spin. This would mean having to slip the clutch and there is nothing like bogging a launch when winning the race is on the line. Most of the time the 2 step is mainly used to help the reaction time when launching during racing, that is why the prostock cars use it. It isn't like they need to spool up a turbo seeing that they are NA.
    Mike i know you didn't mean anything by it no worries i don't take things too serious but i don't know why i get this wierd feeling from some of the comments you post(i'll just leave it at that)?

Let's not make this a pissing match as i have GREAT respect for you and your car and although i'm not the end-all-be-all drag racer i do understand my limitations but also can "read between the lines".

So back OT were you able to get any info incrementally on that last outting or did the car just shut off each time due to the hard launch(es)?

Got any new videos of it?

Quote Originally Posted by PAT@FFTEC View Post
    Mike i know you didn't mean anything by it no worries i don't take things too serious but i don't know why i get this wierd feeling from some of the comments you post(i'll just leave it at that)?

Let's not make this a pissing match as i have GREAT respect for you and your car and although i'm not the end-all-be-all drag racer i do understand my limitations but also can "read between the lines".

So back OT were you able to get any info incrementally on that last outting or did the car just shut off each time due to the hard launch(es)?

Got any new videos of it?
    No I wasn't. The car cut out on the 2nd run during the launch, the 1st run was just a shake down and the car was still breaking up at full boost. I did get a AFR log during that run and the car was still running a bit rich. I did end up turning the fuel pressure down seeing that it was way too high at nearly 70psi(with the vac line on), I also turned down the boost. The car felt very strong during the launch even with the boost turned down and I did not feel it it break-up at the top so it might have been good for the rest of the run but hard to say since 1st gear doesnt have as much load as 3rd-4th gear which is where the AFR will get a bit richer.

I need to get the car back on a dyno and see if the issue goes away if I get the AFR down to 12:1. I think mid 11's might just be too rich for 110 octane and pushing 37psi. I didn't have this issue before upgrading the pumps and I was pushing 37psi hitting 12.5-12.7:1 going lean because the pressure was dropping quickly.

I was along at the track so I wasnt able to get any video of my runs. Plus I was too busy trying to deal with the car issue so I didnt have time to setup the camera inside the car.

Hey BTW the 2 smiley faces you post just looks like 1 is pulling the other ones finger. LOL My other post was just all in fun, whats the point of being serious all the time and drag racing is just something l have fun doing.
    Last edited by Audi2ptzero; 05-07-2009 at 11:30 AM.

how do you get that "thunk" from the rear diff? Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't, but when I do I feel the car is going faster. Not that the 'thunk' is a good thing, but do you guys release the clutch fully when shifting from 1st to 2nd? Trying to get my 1st to 2nd gear pulls better

Quote Originally Posted by krisdlm View Post
    how do you get that "thunk" from the rear diff? Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't, but when I do I feel the car is going faster. Not that the 'thunk' is a good thing, but do you guys release the clutch fully when shifting from 1st to 2nd? Trying to get my 1st to 2nd gear pulls better
    i get that sound too when i shift early than what i should be....
    2003 Evolution VIII

Quote Originally Posted by krisdlm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RREVOVIII View Post
    i get that sound too when i shift early than what i should be....
    The clunk/thud you hear is often from drivetrain slack and/or the diff housing moving on shifts......this is common also in cars like the 03/04 Mustang Cobras w/ IRS.

It is common for people to switch to an upgraded diff housing bushing to eliminate this but it does come with some added noise/vibration as things become more rigid.