Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driving Schools

Default Re: Driving Schools

Quote Originally Posted by PANGES
    hmm... u just brought back a really old thread, but this sounds fun... maybe I'll try to make the next event at thunder hill.
    Come to the NCRC one next weekend! I started a thread on it.

When I was a teenager i lived by Bob Bondurant, (3 houses down) his driving school was at Sears Point. one afternoon he changed my life and maybe saved it, by giving me a hot lap in a Datsun 510Â* teaching me THE EXPERT DRIVER that basically i knew 0.Â* So with that i recommend almost any of the schools. And after u go Thur the school u will have many friends that are EXPERT DRIVERS without going to school, but u will know what they really are.

^^^ Yeah, I thought I was a decent driver until I got on track.

I also learned that attending a driving school once doesn't mean that you're instantly qualified to do a track day with intermediate level drivers.

Hell, I'm thinking about dropping back down to novice if I ever do Infineon. I need someone in the passenger seat yelling "stay on the gas!" every time I go around turn 8. Come to think of it, so do you, Matz!

The track surface at Infineon is real slick in the morning, especially during the fall and winter. Since the track is right next to a body of water, it takes a bit longer to warm up. So be extra cautious during your morning sessions. Most of the track has very little run-off, so there's definitely not much room for error.

Quote Originally Posted by wzcx
    Hell, I'm thinking about dropping back down to novice if I ever do Infineon. I need someone in the passenger seat yelling "stay on the gas!" every time I go around turn 8. Come to think of it, so do you, Matz!
    I *think* my problem was that I was at full boost entering turn 8, when I probably should have been at a constant speed. Turn 8 was the last place I would ever expect to have wrecked... hehe

hehe.. I think Turn 8 is the corner most guys wreck at since it has the most skid marks on the pavement that mark the trajectory cars took going into the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSAE
    hehe.. I think Turn 8 is the corner most guys wreck at since it has the most skid marks on the pavement that mark the trajectory cars took going into the wall.
    hahah... seriously? I would have thought that most people would eat it on turn 7 because they were going too fast after the carousel and straight.

There's enough run-off around Turn 7 to save most drivers.Â* It's actually one of the few turns at Infineon that I'm not afraid to push my car to the limits around.Â*

Whereas there's little room for error at Turn 8.Â* Most people lose control the same way you and Tam did.Â* Enter the turn too fast, lift, and have the rear end come around.Â* Because the turn-in point of Turn 8 is off-camber, lifting enough at the wrong spot will get the rear to come around.Â* Having almost no run-off at 8a also doesn't help either.