Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: snow and your Evo sticky?

Default snow and your Evo sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by evo_dadi
    wow talk about snug fit :shock:
    that is snug. oke:

There are also front calipers from the Evo VIII RS
    the ones that used at the gravel rally Group N cars.

Gravel tires are 15inch , the suspension is about 10K Euros

RS model has at stock fit 15inch

<br />www.evoclub.gr - Lancer Evolution Club of Greece

Well, the season looks to be over. So far I've tried coil-overs with different spring rates, played with the ride height and rake, and disconnecting the rear sway-bar. Any changes made too much oversteer.
    Best set-up so far is still 16x5 rims w/ws-50 tires. Stock suspension with a rear diffuser. Diffuser keeps the snow from packing in under the bumper and sacking out the rear.

Didn't someone ask about tires that worked well in the snow and also year round? When I was in detroit I had the Continental ExtremeContacts. The snow performance was amazing for a high performance tire and they weren't bad in the summer either. Those would be my recommendation...

Default Re: snow and your Evo sticky?

Ok for those that don't live in Tahoe and only need part time winter performance tires the Pirelli Nero M+S (225/45 on stockers) is a pretty good choice.

Been up there in all manner of snow/ice conditions and the performance is pretty good for a non studded tire. Comparable tires include blizzaks. Another plus is that they make very little noise during regular highway cruising and just makes the care that more civilized. After debating swithing over to a summer tire and/or getting another set of tires for summer tires, Ive deceided to keep the pirellis during the summer. These tires are perfectly servicable for regular driving and the occasional canyon run. I do have another set of wheels for the track but dedicated summer non-R tires aren't really necessary unless doing autoX.

Ive spoken with 2 other evo owners who have reported similar experiences. Highly recommend if you plan to take tahoe trips this coming season.

hope this helps,
    -heeltoer
    '08 Redline Street AWD Buttonwillow 2nd Miller 2nd
    Sponsored by: GST Motorsports | Lee Myles Transmissons of Oakland
    '07 Formula Russell Scholarship Recipient
    NASA TTB #42 2007 Norcal Champion

6. Default Re: snow and your Evo sticky?

those tires have some pretty bad ratings for snow/ice on tirerack.
    400whp/384tq - E85 - stock turbo
    334whp/317tq - 91oct - stock turbo

Sponsored by www.speedelement.com / www.rallyinnovations.com / www.bajadesigns.com / www.sportsracingfuel.com / www.gruppe-s.com / www.vexmotorsports.com / www.detailaddict.com
    Tuned by Bryan@GST Motorsports
    Proud supporter of www.gstmotorsports.com / www.xperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by MtsEvoIX
    those tires have some pretty bad ratings for snow/ice on tirerack.
    You are right, its a comparison between strangers on a tire seller forum or strangers on an evo owners forum.

Lets insert some expert opinion:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/kumho_ecsta_asx.jsp
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...emeContact.jsp

in both reviews the Pirelli came out on top with the best average score.

Notice the competition its running against, its not designed to compete directly against a dedicated snow tire. On the other hand ive used blizzaks before and for someone that has run those noisy one season lasting tires (< 10K miles), the pirellis are a very good compromise between ultimate winter performance and noise/summer performance/value.
    '08 Redline Street AWD Buttonwillow 2nd Miller 2nd
    Sponsored by: GST Motorsports | Lee Myles Transmissons of Oakland
    '07 Formula Russell Scholarship Recipient
    NASA TTB #42 2007 Norcal Champion

Heeltoer is making very good points. You have to pay attention to just what Evo owners think. Blizzak ws-50's on my F-150 supercrew worked great with very little noise and no noticeable side wall flex. On my evo their noisy and have very annoying sidewall flex when it's dry. So bad that I either change rims or drive something else.

KareBearPowa Guest

DOHCVTEC uses those tires on his evo in the winter too and seems to like them. They don't look like they would work well by looking at them but he says the work great.

The contiextremes are good all around tires as well. I used them when I had my WRX.

i mentioned this once before but since this is a sticky i'll say it again in less words.

If you are running the advans or something to the same effect and you are gunna be driving in serius snow, then cables will make the car drive reallllly well. I drove in tahoe this last winter on cables (all 4 wheels) and i had NO problem driving thru snow that was as high as the top of my intercooler. Granted that's powder, not sloppy wet heavy snow like in teh east coast, but its still deep.

Stopping is never easy in snow/ice but its not bad. But cables will make slicks dig in ya know?

worth noting however is, make sure you hook them on tight and well. Tight cuz it'll be easier to go faster, and well cuz, if the parts that connect are flinging around(due to centrifical force) then your wheel well and maybe the outside of teh car may take a helluva beating. Two of my wheel wells took a beating cuz i was lazy putting them on in the slush.

Also worth noteing, if you have cables on and the sun melts the snow of the roads, ur r totally screwed in a normal ride and keeping up with traffic. But in horrible weather the chains can't be beat. I-80 was closed when i went up and i was having no trouble going uphill in donner pass.