Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: snow and your Evo sticky?

Default Re: snow and your Evo sticky?

its finally snowing....=)

So I'm up here in Tahoe (posting via dial up) with the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S 225/45/17 on the stockers, and have to say traction is less than optimal. I'm getting ABS to activate w/out trying, and by that I mean from 25-30mph very easy on the brakes, ABS activates right as I press the pedal. My brake pads may be contributing to this, I have the Project Mu B spec pads that RRE sells for the street, I'm wondering if initial bite is too aggressive, but even just driving down the road the car moves all over the place. So far I'm less than impressed with these tires in the snow, who ever thinks these are fine must drive like an absolute grandma....

Anyhow, I tried lowering the air pressures. They went up from 31 cold to 36 cold up here, not sure if its due to altitude or weather or a combination of both. I lowered them back down to 31 cold, and that seemed to help some. Surfing around I read some suggestions to dropping the sir pressures to 20psi or so.

My question is, has anyone tired dropping tire pressures to help with grip? Think its a valid idea? I'd probably not goto 20 but I'm thinking like 25 cold to see if that helps.

Any input/suggestions welcomed, thanks!

-Jason
    - Jason

94 Sentra
    03 Santa Cruz Blur
    06 Some Other Car

Have you seen my girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by EV0LL View Post
    So I'm up here in Tahoe (posting via dial up) with the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S 225/45/17 on the stockers, and have to say traction is less than optimal. I'm getting ABS to activate w/out trying, and by that I mean from 25-30mph very easy on the brakes, ABS activates right as I press the pedal. My brake pads may be contributing to this, I have the Project Mu B spec pads that RRE sells for the street, I'm wondering if initial bite is too aggressive, but even just driving down the road the car moves all over the place. So far I'm less than impressed with these tires in the snow, who ever thinks these are fine must drive like an absolute grandma....
    Sounds like the tires as I run my track pads (PMU Max 900) with -3 camber in the front and have to really get on the brakes to engage ABS in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by EV0LL View Post

Anyhow, I tried lowering the air pressures. They went up from 31 cold to 36 cold up here, not sure if its due to altitude or weather or a combination of both. I lowered them back down to 31 cold, and that seemed to help some. Surfing around I read some suggestions to dropping the sir pressures to 20psi or so.

My question is, has anyone tired dropping tire pressures to help with grip? Think its a valid idea? I'd probably not goto 20 but I'm thinking like 25 cold to see if that helps.

Any input/suggestions welcomed, thanks!

-Jason
    Dropping tire pressure works. Just don't forget to add pressure before you start flying down on the dry. The air in your tire was from sea level. As you are now at 7,000 ft there is less pressure on the outside of the tire allowing the tire to expand more to equal the pressure up here.
    I saw a grey MR up by Boulder last night when I was out. Was that you? Anyways, back on subject. It's real slick out right now with the cold temps. I'm having troubles with my abs also. I took out the fuse last night. It was better, but you have to pay attention. I'm also having brake problems. Seems after blasting around the Heavenly parking lots(closed course, of course) in deep snow my brakes quit working. Could stop twice as quick by just the e-brake. I think the pistons in the calipers are freezing! If I drag the brakes for awhile to get some heat in them it gets better. This was before I pulled the fuse.
    When your braking, keep it in gear and downshift. I'll pm you my # if you want to see how tires are suppose to work.

EVOLL,
    after checking out the tread design of your tires on tirerack, that is definately part/most of your issue. A M&S designation is really a joke. It is just a rain tire. For a manufacture to get a M&S designation they only have to have something like 20% more grooves. There is no standard like they have to get better traction. A snowflake(winter) tire does have to get 110% better traction than a standardized tire. I have tried 225's on my stock rims and they were barely even better than the stock Advans.

Quote Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
    EVOLL,
    after checking out the tread design of your tires on tirerack, that is definately part/most of your issue. A M&S designation is really a joke. It is just a rain tire. For a manufacture to get a M&S designation they only have to have something like 20% more grooves. There is no standard like they have to get better traction. A snowflake(winter) tire does have to get 110% better traction than a standardized tire. I have tried 225's on my stock rims and they were barely even better than the stock Advans.
    What snow tire do you recommend?
    METHOD 4 MOTOR SPORTS
    415-882-1626

Jeff,

Thanks for the input, I left Tahoe Friday night after a great day of skiing on fresh powder at Homewood. I ended up dropping the pressures 6psi all the way around and that seemed to help some. I agree, I think these tires are the kind of "barely qualifies" as M+S tires. I guess I should have known something was up after being somewhat impressed by their dry handling after a brief canyon run, lol.

On packed down snow and plowed roads with some snow,ice, sand on em, they did ok tho, I'm back alive with the car in one piece so that should say something. As an all season tire they work pretty good. I think for regular winter use, nothing much is gained by the smaller size tho, since most of what I've read on the net seems to indicate you actually want a taller sidewall more than anything, and a 235/45 or 245/45 gives you that.

Some pics:

Last edited by EV0LL; 12-30-2008 at 11:15 PM.
    - Jason

94 Sentra
    03 Santa Cruz Blur
    06 Some Other Car

Have you seen my girlfriend?

I take my ABS fuse out. Gives me better braking control. Understanding how a car acts in snow and learning how to drive that goes a long way. I lived in Truckee almost four years and never had snow tires.