Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tires for autocross??

Default Re: Tires for autocross??

will all season tires affect autoX performance? hell yes.
    How much will it matter? If you are in a street tire class and want to be anywhere competative, you will need one of the aforementioned Max Performance summer tires.

Another one to add to the list:
    Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R, these are now at the top of the pile as far as performnce tires from bridgestone. The S03 is being phased out.
    The falkens are still probably your best bang for buck (unless you can find the others on a special).
    Whats been said about wet weather driving is correct: slow down. In fact even if you have all season tires, slow down!
    '08 Redline Street AWD Buttonwillow 2nd Miller 2nd
    Sponsored by: GST Motorsports | Lee Myles Transmissons of Oakland
    '07 Formula Russell Scholarship Recipient
    NASA TTB #42 2007 Norcal Champion

Most street max performance summer tires will outperform M&S All season tires in the wet, due to M&S's compromise for snow performance.

However, I am not talking about street tires made for racing, however they do a good job with enough tread.

If you're going to autox, you need the max performance summer tires to stay competitive.
    05 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR - 3&quot; TBE with Cat. Stock boost control system. 260whp / 260 lb-ft torque<br />92 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD

okay,Â* so I think I know the answerÂ* based off that last reply....Â* all you pros please chime in

First track event, T-Hill - driving school Thursday,Â* Â*its supposed to rain..

Falken 615's 245/40/18 inch ....Â* Â* ORÂ* Â* Â* Â*Goodyear Traction T/a M&S 235/45/17

... the goodyears seem to have a pretty soft sidewall
    Evolution IX MR
    Eunos NA
    Cube S

Go with the Falkens. Unless there's standing water (tracks usually have decent drainage so puddles don't form except in really heavy rain) you'll be fine.
    Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. &quot;Tam&quot<br />Vital Motorsports<br />eXtreme Performance<br />Sponsored by WORKS

Quote Originally Posted by inYubaSha
    okay, so I think I know the answer based off that last reply.... all you pros please chime in

First track event, T-Hill - driving school Thursday, its supposed to rain..

Falken 615's 245/40/18 inch .... OR Goodyear Traction T/a M&S 235/45/17

Quote Originally Posted by vtluu
    Go with the Falkens. Unless there's standing water (tracks usually have decent drainage so puddles don't form except in really heavy rain) you'll be fine.
    This thread is almost a year old now guys. Pretty sure Ed bought tires already.

Quote Originally Posted by inYubaSha
    okay, so I think I know the answer based off that last reply.... all you pros please chime in

First track event, T-Hill - driving school Thursday, its supposed to rain..

Falken 615's 245/40/18 inch .... OR Goodyear Traction T/a M&S 235/45/17

I drove on my 245/45/17 RT615's in the wet at T-hill back in Dec. They have decent grip in the wet and the break away characteristics are very predictable. When you lose traction, it'll feel progressive.

cool, thanks Tam, Mark. sorry 'bout reviving this old thread, but it has good info on it
    Evolution IX MR
    Eunos NA
    Cube S

not to mention, you didn't get flamed for not searching