Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: heel toe downshifting

vtluu Guest

Default Re: heel toe downshifting

Quote Originally Posted by EVO GRIM
    Funny I do heal/toe in my 1 ton truck now.
    I don't heel-toe in my truck, 'cuz it's an automatic... But I do left-foot-brake. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by evo_dadi
    lol i use the left side of my right foot to brake then blip the gas with the right side of my foot.i cant even imagine doing it the usual way
    That's the method I learned from the Skip Barber book "Going Faster."

here you go
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...3&page=4&pp=15
    scroll down to #54(fixed) for my complete how to.

If you don't care about braking, just stop at step 1.

rev matching is a very good idea.
    '08 Redline Street AWD Buttonwillow 2nd Miller 2nd
    Sponsored by: GST Motorsports | Lee Myles Transmissons of Oakland
    '07 Formula Russell Scholarship Recipient
    NASA TTB #42 2007 Norcal Champion

It's post #54

Quote Originally Posted by heeltoer
    HOW TO practice heel toe.

WARNING, always use caution when using these techinques, practice without other cars around and always drive within your limits.

1. learn to rev match
    This if the first step to learning heeltoeing. The idea is that you want to be able to downshift without causing the car to jerk. Its easiest to practice this at less than highway speeds, move to highway speeds when you are comfortable, preferably with no or light traffic. Say you are comfortably crusing in 4th gear, downshift to 3rd!
    clutch-in, apply dab of gas, shift, clutch-out
    Don't bother with the brake at this point just concentrate on clutch and rev matching using the gas. You will know u got it right when u are you are able to make the downshift one smooth and quick proceedure. shoot for less than 1 sec from clutch in to clutch out, road racers will be able to do this in about .5 to .7 sec (depending on car) everytime all day long.
    Debugging:
    If after you let out the clutch your car
    ***seems to leap forward***
    you are applying too much gas, less gas next time and/or let out the clutch later, and try shifting slower
    ***slows down ***
    will feel like u applied the brake
    you are applying too little gas, more gas and/or let out the clutch earlier, and try shifting quicker

2. learn to brake with only part of your foot on brake pedal
    This is an intermediate step but still important. Practice putting part of your foot on the brake pedal and press down the brake, try this without the car running at first. Don't press the gas. learn where the gas pedal is in relation to your brake pedal, be able to feel the brake gas pedal when applying constant pressure to brakes. This is the best time to learn what part of the foot you can use to blip. Be it the side of your foot or your heel. I have found using the left side of your foot for the brake and the right side for the gas is the best and what most people use. The heel part of heeltoeing was because cars back in the day (and some now) have their gas spaced too far apart. Your evo and any proper sports car should have this right.

3. Putting it Together
    Ok you know the basics, you can find the proper foot position from earlier in the thread now time to put it together. Its always a good idea to make a few dry runs before trying it with your clutch and transmission involved. Look straight ahead and aim to do this without loosing concentration on whatever is out the windshield.
    REMEMBER: while applying constant brake, clutch-in, shift + blip, clutch out, smoothly off brake.
    The above debugging rules about your car lerching forward or braking still apply. Remember to put constant pressure on the brake pedal throughout the braking, see step#2.

I instruct for NASA and I encourage folks to practice this before their first event. That said, always find a safe place to do this, you should be able to see where the off ramp leads to. highway off ramps are the best, preferably with no traffic. No need to drive at the limit to practice this. Cruising towards the offramp at highway speeds still demands heeltoeing to get into the right gear. The folks that claim this only applies to at the limit driving have not developed the fine modulation required for their brakes and rev matching. If you can do this consistently and comfortably at the offramp at non death defying speeds you are much better prepared for the track and street. The difference at the track is harder and longer braking.

Also remember that this kinda thing can take time, in fact I learn something new everytime I heel toe, on or off the track. Being able to do this confidantly and consistently is something that will take practice, don't let a mis shift discourage you.

ok so im dyslexic when it comes to quoting my own writing, sigh, please give my advice a chance though

Quote Originally Posted by heeltoer
    here you go
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...3&page=4&pp=15
    scroll down to #45 for my complete how to.

If you don't care about braking, just stop at step 1.

rev matching is a very good idea.

:lol:

Thanks for the awesome writeup!

vtluu Guest

I learned by practicing when pulling up to stops/red lights. It's actually harder to rev-match at lower RPMs, so when it came time to doing it at the track, I found it a bit easier.

I can't even heel/toe very good on my evo on the street w/ my current front pads (RRE PF 95.7s) cuz they have too much initial bite. At the track, I can do it all day long smoothly. I prefer pads w/ progressive pedal feel cuz it makes it easier to do heel/toe downshifts.

I didn't heel toe on the street until just recently, just to get some practice. But I can't really heel-toe -- I have to cheat and use the side of my foot. That's what the guys at Russell Racing had recommended for me since I can't swing my heel out very easily. (I'm a stiff old man)

Using the side of your foot is actually not "cheating." In fact for most modern cars (and those formula cars at russell) thats the perferred method of blipping the throttle. Read my origional post for some history regarding the name.

It might look cool in Initial D but the heel part only applies to older cars that didn't have the pedal spacing right.

Quote Originally Posted by Matz
    I didn't heel toe on the street until just recently, just to get some practice. But I can't really heel-toe -- I have to cheat and use the side of my foot. That's what the guys at Russell Racing had recommended for me since I can't swing my heel out very easily. (I'm a stiff old man)