Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: heel toe downshifting

Default Re: heel toe downshifting

Quote Originally Posted by heeltoer
    Using the side of your foot is actually not "cheating." In fact for most modern cars (and those formula cars at russell) thats the perferred method of blipping the throttle. Read my origional post for some history regarding the name.

It might look cool in Initial D but the heel part only applies to older cars that didn't have the pedal spacing right.

Quote Originally Posted by Matz
    I didn't heel toe on the street until just recently, just to get some practice. But I can't really heel-toe -- I have to cheat and use the side of my foot. That's what the guys at Russell Racing had recommended for me since I can't swing my heel out very easily. (I'm a stiff old fart)
    +1 werd

vtluu Guest

Dunno, I find I can blip the throttle more precisely by jabbing my heel than by rolling my foot. Also, I've found some cars definitely require it--so I might as well use the technique that works in all cars.

Whatever works I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ek9_evo9
    is it specifically used to rev match the engine during downshifting to avoid damaging the tranny?
    it's also beneficial to your brakes.

there's a good write-up from modified mag months ago by their race writer and instructor, completely forgot his name. i gotta dig thru the past issues. good luck. check out the dpgcc videosite. i think i saw one there. sorry if i'm not much of a help.

-clyde
    __________________________________________________ __________________<br /><br />&quot;token honda guy&quot; since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by 03ephatch
    it's also beneficial to your brakes.
    I would be very wary of using rev matching and /or heeltoe downshifting as a method to slow your car. Your brakes are for slowing your car, your transmission is for changing gears the two do not mix well. If you use downshifting to slow your car, it will reduce the life of your clutch/flywheel/synchros/gears.
    See origional post about heeltoe downshifting, specifically the debugging section. If you feel like your car is lurching back or forward, then the technique is most likely incorrect.
    '08 Redline Street AWD Buttonwillow 2nd Miller 2nd
    Sponsored by: GST Motorsports | Lee Myles Transmissons of Oakland
    '07 Formula Russell Scholarship Recipient
    NASA TTB #42 2007 Norcal Champion

Thread from the Dead but i'm curious...So to someone that doesn't know what heel to toe is, it would just sound like a miss shift right?

6. Default Re: heel toe downshifting

yeah you can say that
    400whp/384tq - E85 - stock turbo
    334whp/317tq - 91oct - stock turbo

Sponsored by www.speedelement.com / www.rallyinnovations.com / www.bajadesigns.com / www.sportsracingfuel.com / www.gruppe-s.com / www.vexmotorsports.com / www.detailaddict.com
    Tuned by Bryan@GST Motorsports
    Proud supporter of www.gstmotorsports.com / www.xperformance.com

that or they would think youre revving at them

sounds like a rev up before a turn. If you keep up you'll also hear it go vroooooooooommm PSH! GONE!
    -Ryan
    WW Lancer Evolution IX

Heel toe thru 2 gears does sound like you are revving at some body.
    - Rob

WLD a.k.a. Wilson LOL Disease - there's currently no cure for this.

Learn from your mistake: Start off with spin-outs then power slides.

Nm...