Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires for autocross??

Default Tires for autocross??

I'm buying some new wheels for my evo and now im in the market for some tires as well. The tire size is 235/40/18, I was thinkin of going with a high performance all season, would that affect traction in an auto-x event?? Im sure the extreme summer tires (advans etc) would be better but I really want something for wet roads as well. Any auto-xers care to chime in....
    -Ed<br /><br />CareBear Tune, Tanabe 2.75 DP , RRE Rally Cat, Vishnu Catback, Works Ride Springs, Hallman MBC <br />RRE 2900lb No-name Clutch &amp; Flywheel, ARC Induction Box, HPF LICP, Fuel pump &amp; Injectors 303WHP/303WTQ<br /><br />[quote author=methods4 link=topic=22671.msg356580#msg356580 date=1193250411]<br />No kidding.&nbsp; I mean who gives up their Evo for a krautmobile?<br />[/quote]

Default Re: Tires for autocross??

Quote Originally Posted by BigEd925
    I'm buying some new wheels for my evo and now im in the market for some tires as well. The tire size is 235/40/18, I was thinkin of going with a high performance all season, would that affect traction in an auto-x event?? Im sure the extreme summer tires (advans etc) would be better but I really want something for wet roads as well. Any auto-xers care to chime in....
    A lot of guys have recommeded Falken RT615s, which is what I'm going to put on and try out someday.

I checked those out but they dont come in 235/40/18
    -Ed<br /><br />CareBear Tune, Tanabe 2.75 DP , RRE Rally Cat, Vishnu Catback, Works Ride Springs, Hallman MBC <br />RRE 2900lb No-name Clutch &amp; Flywheel, ARC Induction Box, HPF LICP, Fuel pump &amp; Injectors 303WHP/303WTQ<br /><br />[quote author=methods4 link=topic=22671.msg356580#msg356580 date=1193250411]<br />No kidding.&nbsp; I mean who gives up their Evo for a krautmobile?<br />[/quote]

There are a lot of tires that perform well in the wet yet are max performance tires. All seasons are generally M&S rated for mud and snow.

Tires like the Bridgestone S-03 is great all around and offer lots of grip, good wet traction and are not all season.
    Car Detailing Enthusiast

if u want all season performance....do NOT get the azenis!! (atleast what ive experienced with the 215's tell me that u shouldnt) and do not get fuzions...maybe some michellin pilots??

vtluu Guest

Azenises work just fine on wet roads. A lot of people don't seem to understand the difference between "wet" and "standing water". Most max performance summer tires won't be great for standing water due to the large tread blocks. I drove my Evo through the "record" rainfalls of January '05 on 1/3-tread Falken RT215s. Did they hydroplane easily? Heck yeah. Was it a major problem? Not really. Unless you're the type who insists on driving 80 mph regardless of conditions, it's not really an issue when you're on the road: slow down in heavy rainfall and the tires will work just fine. I've run my Miata all winter on Falken RT615s and they've worked decently well in standing water--as long as I respect their performance limits in that situation (again, by slowing down as needed).

If you place autocross street tire performance as a priority, there really are no better tires to get than the Falken RT615s, Hankook RS2 Z212s, or Yokohama Advan Neovas. For performance in "other" conditions, you can easily drive around those limitations when you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by craziazzmofo66
    if u want all season performance....do NOT get the azenis!! (atleast what ive experienced with the 215's tell me that u shouldnt) and do not get fuzions...maybe some michellin pilots??
    +1 on the Fuzions. I'll never buy those tires after crashing Evo #1 with those on the track (of course I was driving too fast, though).

Quote Originally Posted by vtluu
    If you place autocross street tire performance as a priority, there really are no better tires to get than the Falken RT615s, Hankook RS2 Z212s, or Yokohama Advan Neovas. For performance in "other" conditions, you can easily drive around those limitations when you need to.
    in comparison to the stock a046 advans, how is the wear and road noise of the three above mentioned tires?

I just bought new rims and got 255/40/17 Falken Azenis rt-615s mounted and the road noise is very close to stock and the handleing is awesome. Havnt been out to the track or auto-x with them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEd925
    I just bought new rims and got 255/40/17 Falken Azenis rt-615s mounted and the road noise is very close to stock and the handleing is awesome. Havnt been out to the track or auto-x with them yet.
    run them down first for a few hundred miles before you do some hard driving on it.theyre useless when new since youll be just killing the tires sliding all over the place