Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Code for Exhausts

1. Default Vehicle Code for Exhausts

Y'all might want to bookmark this link for any future CA vehicle code questions:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/ca...odesection=veh

Default Vehicle Code for Exhausts

Run a quiet xhaust is my solution. My buddy put the Buscher full system on his '03 car and it sounds like a pack of bumblebees. Anyone know what the 400hp FQ Evo in UK uses for factory DP? Its gotta be bigger AND legal (sorta) cause it will carry a Mitsu part#...Just a thought?
    '05 WW RS. Works TR340+HFC, 275/35/18's, springs, IX rear, black wing, ralliarmour's, bushed-steel line short shift, both worthless 2.5mph crash beams gone, lowered seat, Defi HUD, 3130 lbs. TO DO not in order: 2 piece shaft, rotors, clean my air filter, get a raise at work, see a tuner in Hayward about my timing getting pulled

Ahh..found it

'Owen developments' is the factory DP..Anyone wanna get a price so we can get it reffereed and exempted along w/ the cats???

Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ400 parts list:

Custom built Garrett GT Dual Ball bearing Turbocharger
    Owen Developments custom manufactured cast Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold and Exhaust Elbow
    Omega Forged Pistons
    HKS Forged Con Rods
    HKS 680cc Injectors
    Zytec ITP116 High Pressure Fuel Pump
    HKS 1.6 mm Steel Head Gasket
    Motec M800 OEM ECU
    HKS Iridium Spark Plugs
    Jan Speed High Flow Sports Cat
    Alcon competition derived 240 mm high clamp mode, heavy duty clutch complete with Cera-metallic 6 paddle sprung centred drive plate
    HKS High Strength Head and Big End Bolts
    Alcon Mono6 Brake Kit incorporating Monobloc 6 pot road caliper with 343 mm curved vein Disc on a Aluminium mounting bell assembly with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
    Ralliart Aero Mirrors
    Carbon Fibre Front Lip Spoiler
    Carbon Fibre "Sharks Tooth" Rear Vortex Generator
    PIAA High Performance Light and Wiper Upgrade
    Gloss Black Team Dynamics Lightweight Alloy Wheels
    Driver Training Course
    '05 WW RS. Works TR340+HFC, 275/35/18's, springs, IX rear, black wing, ralliarmour's, bushed-steel line short shift, both worthless 2.5mph crash beams gone, lowered seat, Defi HUD, 3130 lbs. TO DO not in order: 2 piece shaft, rotors, clean my air filter, get a raise at work, see a tuner in Hayward about my timing getting pulled

I have been on this site for a while, and this is the first time Ive noticed this thread (just happens to be after i got off of work at 4am).
    As peace officer employed here in the great state of california, I feel a need to respond. Luckily for me, most of the posts have it right... but I will attempt to clear up any misconceptions.
    I do not work for CHP, so I cannot state if the 60 dollar surcharge w/fix-it tickets is true, in my town it is 9 bucks if a fix-it is corrected. I'm one of the traffic officers in my city, so ive been to court several times on exhaust tickets. By the way, i have even talked to some members from this forum (roevo comes to mind) who can vouch that Im not your typical cop.
    Back on point... refer to the beginning of the post for a defintion of vc 27151. The (b) section refers to 95 dba limit. BUT the (a) section refers to being in accordance with 27150 and the vehicle may not exceed noise limits of vc 27200.
    27150 vc states simply that every vehicle be equipped with an adequate muffler... to prevent any excessive or unusual noise
    27200 vc establishes that common rule of noise audible from an exhaust over 50 feet away.

An officer may cite you for 27151(a) (which is a different section than 27151b). He does not have to prove any decibal point, all he needs is probable cause (you probably have a exhaust in violation of the section) that your exhaust exceeds any of the standards. Simply put, that your exhaust is modified from the factory exhaust and has excessive noise audible over 50 feet (4 carlengths) or over 95 dba. It can be one or both to ticket.
    The proof that it does not exceed the standard falls on the owner of the vehicle. If ticketed (and unwilling or unable to put on the stock exhaust) you must go to a "referee" who will put a decibal meter next to your exhaust while its revved above 3k. If its below 95 dba, you will get a certificate which states so. Give to court and keep in car for future contacts with the local police.

That is the vc section, and how it is usually interperted (trust me, every police dept. is different... and traffic court judges are just as bad). Alot also depends on the officer, time of day (or night), local muncipal laws (which can be more restrictive than state law) etc... I typically do NOT give out these tickets, just because of the vagueness of the section. But i will if some 16 year old kid slaps on a APC pepboy tin can just for the noise :roll:
    Hopefully this helps, if anyone has any (serious) questions that they dont want to post regarding police matters, pm me... i will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Quote Originally Posted by evo743
    The proof that it does not exceed the standard falls on the owner of the vehicle. If ticketed (and unwilling or unable to put on the stock exhaust) you must go to a "referee" who will put a decibal meter next to your exhaust while its revved above 3k. If its below 95 dba, you will get a certificate which states so. Give to court and keep in car for future contacts with the local police.
    Thank you for this post. Just out of curiosity, is it possible to be proactive and go to the referee first, and keep the paperwork in the car? Or will the officer say that one could have simply changed the exhaust after being passed with a different setup? If someone goes to a referee (w/o a fix-it ticket), and the ref finds the car in violation, what happens? Apologies in advance if this question has already been asked.

vtluu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matz
    Just out of curiosity, is it possible to be proactive and go to the referee first, and keep the paperwork in the car?
    You could achieve effectively the same thing by sitting in front of a police station and revving as loudly as possible until someone gave you a fix-it ticket. That's what I call being proactive! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by vtluu
    You could achieve effectively the same thing by sitting in front of a police station and revving as loudly as possible until someone gave you a fix-it ticket. That's what I call being proactive! :lol:
    Wanna join me? :lol:

Yeah... you can go to the referee prior to getting cited. The notice should describe the type of exhaust and when it was done. It's actually a good idea to go anyway, that way when you get pulled over, just show the officer the document.
    If you dont pass, they will give you a paper saying you are not under the 95 dba limit, thankyoucomeagain. Anyway, its up to you. The checks arent free. If you seriously think your exhaust is under and you keep getting hassled, then do it. If you never have a problem w/ cops, then i wouldnt.

And yes, revving your engine in front of police dept. is the quickest way to get a ticket. :lol:

i agree that the vc is vague. and has loop holes. i personal think the vc for the exhaust is for any exhaust that has been modified to make it louder. ie drilling holes unbolting it, ect ect. every police officer has his/her own interpetation of the law. when they see " modify exhaust system" they seem to think you cant modify the stock exhaust. if that were the case midas would be out of the muffler business.

Carlo
    [quote author=cloud link=topic=11764.msg157213#msg157213 date=1155075350]<br />well i like it deep....lol <br />[/quote]<br /><br />i better hope thats a real girl....or <br />

You have to remember too that even though you go to the ref. and get your aftermarket exhaust written off and he/she say that it's within the decibel levels, a different officer can give you a ticket for your exhaust again. They can be a d*ck and say, "how do I know that this is the same exhaust that was tested? You could have changed it."
    My girlfriend asked me: "It's either me or the car!".............Boy I miss her cooking.