Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Code for Exhausts

1. Default Vehicle Code for Exhausts

Can anyone post something from the vehicle code or anywhere else about exhausts to help us when getting pulled over if a cop says "any modified exhaust is illegal"?

Quote Originally Posted by SoutherCrane
    Getting onto Rengstorff, I was followed by a police officer. She pulled me over on Middlefield. When she pulled me over she said that I didn't have a front plate, but from her view point when parked she was un-able to see my front plate, but she saw it after I told her I did have it on. Also she said she was going to ticket me for a modified exhaust, but i notified her that it was below the dB threshold for noise level, and told her how it was tested at our meet. She said that any modified exhaust is illegal, but she didn't ticket me for anything. She was cool about the whole thing.
    Nujabes - Modal Soul<br /><br />

vtluu Guest

Default Vehicle Code for Exhausts

3. Default Vehicle Code for Exhausts

Quote Originally Posted by vtluu
    Thanks Tam, I knew you had posted it somewhere, but I couldn't find it. guess I didn't search hard enough because I forgot to do a search for "Vehicle Code" :lol:

vtluu Guest

No prob.

VC 27151 states:
    Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
    So it doesn't mean that any modded/aftermarket exhaust system is necessarily illegal, but that it's illegal to have one that violates the 95 dbA noise limit. But the law doesn't provide the individual any way to "certify" in advance that their exhaust is compliant (legal), you have to get a fix-it ticket for an illegal exhaust, then go to a referree station to get it tested (and hopefully get an official note that the exhaust is compliant).

And also, why the same limit doesn't apply to motorcycles (hence all the loud Harleys) is beyond me. What a bunch of f**ked up laws. :roll:

5. Default Vehicle Code for Exhausts

Quote Originally Posted by vtluu
    And also, why the same limit doesn't apply to motorcycles (hence all the loud Harleys) is beyond me. What a bunch of f**ked up laws. :roll:
    I don't think motorcycles have any laws, that's why you never see them pulled over....... :lol:

Also, modifying anything from the cat forward is not legal.
    Banned.

7. Default Vehicle Code for Exhausts

Will one of the mods Sticky this post? This is good information for us to have readily available.

done

The easiest solution is to make the Evo 6001 pounds. Then you can run any exhaust you want.

thanks for the info , imagine showing a cop a print of this went you get pulled over (if your exhaust is with in 95db ) from 5ft away. i wonder what can they say once you read the modify exhaust code to them :? :?
    In the words of Ceaser:Veni, Vidi, Vici...

431whp 390tq e85 go green!!!! WOT special...

Socalevo.net