Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: grinding coming from wheels while braking

Default grinding coming from wheels while braking

so there is this random grinding coming from my front right and rear right wheel well that will happen a couple times right before i come to a stop. i just replaced my brake pads and i inspected them again today and everything looks fine. also i never touched the rear brakes so they shouldnt be acting up either. one thing i did notice is that the caliper looks dangerously close to the rim of the rotor which is getting kind of tall. if you are not sure what i am talking about i mean when your rotors get worn down they dont wear on the very outside perimeter of the rotor and there is a little ridge on the outside. anyways the grinding always goes away after making the sound a couple times so its hard to diagnose.

i went to a track day a couple weeks ago and i noticed it after that if that helps.

is this something that happends when the rotors get too worn? the rotor isn't majory warped or i would feel it in the steering wheel or e brake...
    hks 264 cams<br />hks carbon ti CB<br />hks DP<br />vishnu cam adjustable cam gears<br />UR test pipe<br />walbro fuel pump<br />vishnu x-flash<br />defi BF oil temp/boost/egt<br />cusco rear sway<br />ferrodo ds2500 pads<br />MR vortex generator<br />evo VII tails<br />Rota torques 18x8 wrapped in falken azenis rt615<br />alpine deck with kicker comp vr 12&quot; sub

Default Re: grinding coming from wheels while braking

Are the rotors scored in any way? Could be possible that maybe sand or something else is in your brake calipers.
    I keep an inch and a half guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. It's not whiz-bang tactical, but one smack in the grape and it's coloring books for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk
    Are the rotors scored in any way? Could be possible that maybe sand or something else is in your brake calipers.
    nope, nothing out of the ordinary. where would there be sand in my calipers??
    hks 264 cams<br />hks carbon ti CB<br />hks DP<br />vishnu cam adjustable cam gears<br />UR test pipe<br />walbro fuel pump<br />vishnu x-flash<br />defi BF oil temp/boost/egt<br />cusco rear sway<br />ferrodo ds2500 pads<br />MR vortex generator<br />evo VII tails<br />Rota torques 18x8 wrapped in falken azenis rt615<br />alpine deck with kicker comp vr 12&quot; sub

Quote Originally Posted by midEVO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk
    nope, nothing out of the ordinary. where would there be sand in my calipers??
    Ok, I noticed you said you hear this noise after your trackday. Could be a result of pad deposit on the rotor.
    I keep an inch and a half guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. It's not whiz-bang tactical, but one smack in the grape and it's coloring books for Christmas.

KareBearPowa Guest

Yea it might be the pads shifting every so slightly and now that you have track wear on the rotors/pads you have grooves. My pads make noise when I am not on them. It just means I'm cool.

yeah but the thing is that this grinding sound is fucking nasty. it only makes a couple grinds right before i stop but it sounds majorly fucked up for a second... do you guys think i need my rotors turned?

KareBearPowa Guest

Sounds to me like your pads finally got bed in correctly.

Go out and bed them in like they were new.
    05 Evo 8 - 333 whp / 318wtq - Tanabe DP, TP, Modified 3&quot; noir cat back, GM boost solenoid, Walboro FP, RC 1000cc injectors, E-85

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyApex
    Sounds to me like your pads finally got bed in correctly.
    i bed them in twice before the track day AND then if they didnt get bed in before shouldnt they have been bed in during?

basically what i should be asking, is it okay to have a higher area on the outside edge of your rotor? i really think that is the cause and if i got my rotors turned just a tad this would go away...

That is normal.

Go out, and try to bed them again. It sounds like you just have some pad depsoit on the rotor.
    05 Evo 8 - 333 whp / 318wtq - Tanabe DP, TP, Modified 3&quot; noir cat back, GM boost solenoid, Walboro FP, RC 1000cc injectors, E-85