Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: grinding coming from wheels while braking

Default Re: grinding coming from wheels while braking

Quote Originally Posted by turbotiger
    I think you're just throwing money at it without really finding out what's wrong. I really doubt the rotor is the culprit. All it has to be is straight. You probably have a clip that's either broken or shifted and is touching the rotor when you brake.

that would make sense if it was just my back rotor making the sound, my front right rotor is making the same sound just not as often and i have inspected that three times and it looks good on all sides....
    hks 264 cams<br />hks carbon ti CB<br />hks DP<br />vishnu cam adjustable cam gears<br />UR test pipe<br />walbro fuel pump<br />vishnu x-flash<br />defi BF oil temp/boost/egt<br />cusco rear sway<br />ferrodo ds2500 pads<br />MR vortex generator<br />evo VII tails<br />Rota torques 18x8 wrapped in falken azenis rt615<br />alpine deck with kicker comp vr 12&quot; sub

does any one know the min service thickness of the rotors? I looked it up at work but our computer doen't list a machine or discard spec.

I killed my front and rear pads by 20k. I can't believe you still have stock pads in the rear at 40k!!!!!!! I'll bet money its the right rear making the noise.

you "experienced" guys have never had a brake pad get low enough to have the backing plate rubb the rotor lip? not very experienced then I take it. especially when you slap another set of pads on rotors that havn't been machined, the lip just gets bigger as the pad get smaller. its very common on fixed caliper style brakes. I see it all the time
    [img]

Minimum thickess for the rotors:
    Front: 1.17"
    Rear: 0.80"

If someone drives a lot of freeway that does little braking, there should be no reason why their brakes shouldn't last. Type of usage is the key factor for brake wear, not mileage.

the rear pad was worn to shit. it was actually griding into the pad backing...

the wierd thing was that the rear right pad was fucked (the inside pad) but the rear left had more meat on it...
    hks 264 cams<br />hks carbon ti CB<br />hks DP<br />vishnu cam adjustable cam gears<br />UR test pipe<br />walbro fuel pump<br />vishnu x-flash<br />defi BF oil temp/boost/egt<br />cusco rear sway<br />ferrodo ds2500 pads<br />MR vortex generator<br />evo VII tails<br />Rota torques 18x8 wrapped in falken azenis rt615<br />alpine deck with kicker comp vr 12&quot; sub

Bingo! Problem found. Did I not tell you the inside pads wear faster than the outsides??

good, just a worn pad and not a rotor lip like some super mechanics thought.

glad to hear you didn't throw a ton of money at it.
    05 Evo 8 - 333 whp / 318wtq - Tanabe DP, TP, Modified 3&quot; noir cat back, GM boost solenoid, Walboro FP, RC 1000cc injectors, E-85

Quote Originally Posted by dohcvtec
    good, just a worn pad and not a rotor lip like some super mechanics thought.

glad to hear you didn't throw a ton of money at it.
    well i had some other problems keeping me from really driving it.

although the problem seems to be solved like i said it WAS coming from the front right as well but i cant replicate the sound anymore. maybe it was just the rear, who knows. what i do know is that i need new headlights and a bumper!