Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Synchro screwed?

Default Re: Synchro screwed?

yea I've been a mistu guy for a while now having dsms and such and all i can say is the mitsu trans just don't shift like other cars. even when they shift good they are still hard to get into gear
    [img]

KareBearPowa Guest

Seems like the 9 5spds are much smoother, the last three 9's I have dyno tuned have felt really nice and smooth, even better then my 6spd.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinOne05
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkSAE
    Try bleeding your clutch and adjusting the pedal if necessary. It sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging when you're trying to shift.
    If it was the clutch then it would grind in all gears. Sounds like a synchro.
    Not true. A hydraulic problem or clutch problem can mask itself and be more prominent in certain gears or whenever it feels like it.
    05 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR - 3&quot; TBE with Cat. Stock boost control system. 260whp / 260 lb-ft torque<br />92 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD

Quote Originally Posted by turbotiger
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkSAE
    Try bleeding your clutch and adjusting the pedal if necessary. It sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging when you're trying to shift.
    If it was the clutch then it would grind in all gears. Sounds like a synchro.
    Not true. A hydraulic problem or clutch problem can mask itself and be more prominent in certain gears or whenever it feels like it.
    Give one example of where a leak in the system whether internally or externally, or a clutch pedal adjustment problem would cause ONLY shifting into fourth, whether from 5th or 3rd problematic.
    435/371 @ GST E-85

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyApex
    Seems like the 9 5spds are much smoother, the last three 9's I have dyno tuned have felt really nice and smooth, even better then my 6spd.
    Ahhh.* You likey?

Thats 'cause they added the teflon coated linkage (previously only avail. with the 6spd) standard on all the IX's.* I noticed a dramatic difference between the two too.

IX 5spd > VIII 6spd??????????

KareBearPowa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lqdchkn
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlyApex
    Ahhh. You likey?

Thats 'cause they added the teflon coated linkage (previously only avail. with the 6spd) standard on all the IX's. I noticed a dramatic difference between the two too.

IX 5spd > VIII 6spd??????????
    Yea but even the gearbox is better. It doesn't feel like a mitsu clunky transmission anymore.

the first three gears in our tranys are triple sycro'd right? that maybe why its not felt so much in the first three, but I don'
    t think its a clutch prob.
    on my last clutch (which I abused the shit out of) when I changed it out the shifting got 10 time better for the first 100 mile at least. but that was because the new machined flywheel surface wasn't sticking to the disc yet. after a while they start to stick a little after they develope a wear pattern. not so much stick but not release as cleanly as when the fly wheel/pressure plate is new this is normal

this new clutch 20K miles hasn't bean launched on or anything like the first clutch was, (I stopped street racing) the clutch is cherry its just the sycros for me I'm afraid
    [img]

Give one example of where a leak in the system whether internally or externally, or a clutch pedal adjustment problem would cause ONLY shifting into fourth, whether from 5th or 3rd problematic.
    A misadjusted clutch pedal, with not enough freeplay, can cause the hydraulics not to come back fully after a couple of pumps on the pedal. Leave the clutch pedal alone, and the hydraulics will slowly come back to it's normal position.

A clutch not fully disengaging can be easier to shift into higher gears due to the fact that the rpm's are closer together, thus less speed difference between gears, and less work the synchros have to do, or less resistance the synchros have before speeds match.
    05 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR - 3&quot; TBE with Cat. Stock boost control system. 260whp / 260 lb-ft torque<br />92 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD

hmm I always thought the pressure plate returned the slave cyl, and the clutch pedal spring returned the pedal the rest of the way. an over adjusted clutch make the disc slip and underadjusted make the syncros wear
    [img]

Quote Originally Posted by turbotiger
    A misadjusted clutch pedal, with not enough freeplay, can cause the hydraulics not to come back fully after a couple of pumps on the pedal. Leave the clutch pedal alone, and the hydraulics will slowly come back to it's normal position.

A clutch not fully disengaging can be easier to shift into higher gears due to the fact that the rpm's are closer together, thus less speed difference between gears, and less work the synchros have to do, or less resistance the synchros have before speeds match.
    I think you've drifted off problem we're addressing which is grinding when shifting to 4th.

In your first example if there is not enough freeplay then the slave might not fully disengage the clutch which could cause the clutch to slip if it is extreme enough.

In your second example you describe a situation where the symptoms would be grinding in 1st or 2nd and less grinding in 4th.
    435/371 @ GST E-85