Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about turbo swap...

Default Question about turbo swap...

I'm about the pull the trigger on a used IX turbo and I need to know which parts I do and don't need in order for it to bolt up to my '05 VIII. The guy I'm buying it from upgraded to a GT3076R so he's got a whole new setup. Here's the pic of what he's selling. I know I need the lines/outlet/wga but, unfortunately, I know not what they look like. :?

Instead of pretending to be some turbo expert I need some input from those in the know. The guy I'm working with just send me the following email. How I should I reply...

So I understand - you want the lines, wastegate and the compressor j-pipe. I'm going to remove the 02 housing and manifold.

Should I also remove the lines to prevent them from being damaged? I'll pack these separately. And I checked the shaft - its good as new.

Default Re: Question about turbo swap...

How are the turbos on the VIII? Was the only difference the turbo itself, and the specs of it? Bigger wheel? If you find out that the only difference is the internals of the turbo, but the lines were the same, all you would need is the turbo itself. You could use your existing, oil return, oil feed, and water lines.

Personally, if your going to be all up in there with the manifold, o2 housing, lines removed, might as well upgrade to bigger!

Quote Originally Posted by EuGeNiLe
    How are the turbos on the VIII? Was the only difference the turbo itself, and the specs of it? Bigger wheel? If you find out that the only difference is the internals of the turbo, but the lines were the same, all you would need is the turbo itself. You could use your existing, oil return, oil feed, and water lines.

Personally, if your going to be all up in there with the manifold, o2 housing, lines removed, might as well upgrade to bigger!
    The 16G IX snail has a bigger compressor housing then the 16G VIII. I'm pretty sure all the parts I need are in that pic, but I'm not sure what I don't need (besides the exhaust manifold of course).

The outlet tube for the Evo IX turbo is slightly shorter since the compressor housing is a bit bigger. You can see it in the photo, it's the black tube near the bottom of the photo. Looks like he's included pretty much everything you need. You can see the wastegate actuator just behind the outlet tube. You might want to pick up some new gaskets and washers for the oil feed and return lines. You'll need the oil return line-to-oil pan gasket (the thin metallic one) and a couple of copper washers for the oil feed line banjo bolt. You can also get a new exhaust manifold gasket though mine was in pretty good shape when I took it off, so you might be able to reuse yours.

I just swapped in a new exhaust manifold and TME turbo last weekend. Pretty straightforward install though I took my time and went overkill on replacing hardware--I replaced all the gaskets, washers, nuts, bolts, studs, even the head-to-manifold studs.

Navid has an Evo IX turbo in his Evo VIII, seems to be working pretty well for him. I'll probably switch over to an Evo IX turbo once the Evo IX shows up on NASA's Performance Touring classing chart (and I can upgrade the turbo as an update/backdate item).

Good luck...
    Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. &quot;Tam&quot<br />Vital Motorsports<br />eXtreme Performance<br />Sponsored by WORKS

Quote Originally Posted by vtluu
    The outlet tube for the Evo IX turbo is slightly shorter since the compressor housing is a bit bigger. You can see it in the photo, it's the black tube near the bottom of the photo. Looks like he's included pretty much everything you need. You can see the wastegate actuator just behind the outlet tube. You might want to pick up some new gaskets and washers for the oil feed and return lines. You'll need the oil return line-to-oil pan gasket (the thin metallic one) and a couple of copper washers for the oil feed line banjo bolt. You can also get a new exhaust manifold gasket though mine was in pretty good shape when I took it off, so you might be able to reuse yours.

Good luck...
    +1 Looks like you got all the important stuff there. At the least just make sure you have new gaskets and the oil return line. You may be able to do it with your stock line but he's prolly not going to reuse his and better safe then sorry.

port the manifold and o2 housing while you have an extra and get it jet coated also.

Tam...thanks a million dude. Seriously. I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to referring to parts as "the black thingy" or the "little bended thingy". You saved me.

I think I found the part numbers for the remaining parts I'll need from a thread on EvoM. Any idea which of these part number are for the gaskets and washers for the oil feed and return lines. Also does it look like any of these parts are for the oil return line-to-oil pan gasket, the oil feed line banjo bolt, or exhaust manifold gasket.

1 1310A171 PIPE+T.C WATER RE
    1 1310A248 PIPE+T.C WATER FE
    1 1515A057 FITTING+T.C AIR O
    1 MR281085 GASKET+T.C AIR OU
    2 MF660063 GASKET+CLUTCH M.C
    1 1225A042 TUBE+T.C OIL FEED
    4 MF660065 GASKET+COOLING WA
    2 MF660064 GASKET+A.T CASE

KareBearPowa Guest

For the IX turbo swap you need:

1. IX turbo
    2. IX turbo outlet pipe (the black pipe coming from the compressor housing)
    3. IX turbo oil and coolant hardpipe lines (the silver things in that photo.

if the oil return line (the ribbed thing in the photo), is the same length as your oil return line, do yourself a favor and DO NOT unbolt yours from your oilpan, just unbolt the top. This will save you oil pan return line leak headaches.

Get all new copper crush washers for the oil and coolant lines

4. Get new 02 housing bolts and studs. You might (will) break one getting the old ones off if you are transferring the 02 housing.

Any reason why you aren't just buying that whole thing in the photo? That would make life alot easier if you aren't porting anything as you won't have to unbolt/bolt the manifold/02 housing.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyApex
    Any reason why you aren't just buying that whole thing in the photo? That would make life alot easier if you aren't porting anything as you won't have to unbolt/bolt the manifold/02 housing.
    A couple people already had beat me to the o2 housing and manifold, oddly enough. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyApex
    do yourself a favor and DO NOT unbolt yours from your oilpan, just unbolt the top. This will save you oil pan return line leak headaches.
    O RLY? I unbolted mine from the oil pan. Unbolting it from the turbo with the turbo still in the car looked like a PITA. I replaced the gasket and torqued the bolts to spec. Guess I'll hope for the best...
    Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. &quot;Tam&quot<br />Vital Motorsports<br />eXtreme Performance<br />Sponsored by WORKS