Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia: three years already

Default Nostalgia: three years already

Since my registration expires today it means of course that I bought the Evo exactly (more or less) three years ago.

I guess it's fair to say both the car and driver have come a long way in three years. When I bought the Evo I'd never owned a manual-tranny car before. I'd learned to drive stick the week before. I'd only ever autocrossed--once.

Three years later the Evo is a gutted, rollcage and fire system-equipped, full-on track car. I've filed for PNO (planned non-operation) and am letting the registration lapse since it can't really be driven on the street anyway. As for me, well I now have over 60 autocrosses, 30 track days, and a handful of rallycrosses and time trials under my belt. I instruct with some clubs and am a couple weeks away from getting my wheel-to-wheel racing license.

Let's hope the next three years will prove as exciting.
    Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. &quot;Tam&quot<br />Vital Motorsports<br />eXtreme Performance<br />Sponsored by WORKS

Default Re: Nostalgia: three years already

Very cool..

Happy 3 year anniversary!

So where you and your evo going to be doing to celebrate? A little dinner and dancing?

Nice man, Happy 3 Years! Wow, couldnt even drive manual till a week before? When I bought my GS-T in 99 I couldn't drive it off the lot and it sat for about 2 weeks till I taught myself how to drive it. I'd a never guessed with all the track time under your belt. Heres to many more, cheers!
    <br />http://www.myspace.com/potluckradiostation<br />www.speedelement.com

:lol: I'll celebrate with a shower of sparks--welding in a bracket for the fire system pull handle this week. Might also weld in some new jack points underneath the car, too.

Also need to call up SpeedElement or Gruppe-S and get the EcuFlash programmed up for the new turbo. Nothing says celebration like horsepower!
    Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. &quot;Tam&quot<br />Vital Motorsports<br />eXtreme Performance<br />Sponsored by WORKS

congrats on the anniversary! good luck with the license too
    carebear tuned and track junkie.

Do you think If you had not retired the car from street driving you would have been over it by now? My three years coming up in may.. tough decisions ahead I guess. Selling the evo is definately a financial hit as you cannot buy back something of equal performance without spending alot of money...plus I think I would always miss the car. Im thinking about finishing off my final 3 payments and storing her too.

Congrats.. In 3 months mine will be 3years old as well. Only had 9 trackdays so far & my daily driver. Still very happy. Until timing belt & clutch needs to be replaced (ouch).. :lol:

Not sure exactly what you mean about being "over" the Evo, but after all the autocrossing and track days that I've done, I've found new respect and appreciation for other cars. And I've learned that a car doesn't necessarily have to be fast to be fun to drive. Truth be told if I could get a reasonable amount of money for the Evo I'd sell it and race-prep my Miata which I think would be as much fun to drive, and considerably cheaper to run.

I think once you get into racing you have to get away--to some degree--from emotional attachment to any specific car. My car is a piece of sports equipment. It's a bit more expensive than a tennis racket or a golf club, but I accept that I may have to throw it away some day should it become irreparrably damaged at the track.

congrats. my car will be 2 yrs in 1 month. the evo is also my 1st stick car, and so far so good....haha. now i just need to find time off to track the car.
    Custom Tuned at Full Function by Sean - 325 whp/307 wtq @ 23 psi on pump gas

HPDE Days:
    Buttonwillow: 1
    Infineon: 0
    Laguna Seca: 0
    Thunderhill: 3

1999 Honda Prelude Non-SH - DD
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX SE - Garage Queen

you pretty much answered my question. I always also speaking of specifically of driving impressions of *the car on the street modified after such a long ownership.. Worst thing ever for me is being *lost in some strange place while driving a modded 03.. driving these cars is great as long as you know where your going : )

Something I have put alot of thought into recently at first..theis the affordablity of smaller cars for autox... The evo seems like its really cheap but and then it starts absoring money at a very fast rate.. to many moving parts that can break.. plus its heavier then some smaller cars which causes wear faster. (although I have 75K on the odo with no real factory problems)

Its nice having a car that is functional and practical while at the same time being fast..but you like you said, but im leaning more towards having a dedicated sports car and then a car for everythign else.

One other thing I have learned.. and im sure many others will too. If you cannot picture your self keeping this car for pretty much forever..dont start goign crazy on mods unless you have money to just throw away... pay the car off first!

Right now the only car I would get out of the evo for is a lotus. * used elises/exiges are very affordable.. seems like they have very poor resell value.. as a result. Elises with under 7K miles are selling in the 33-37 range and exiges are selling in the low 40s. These cars are pretty much a steal at this price plus 30mpg? DAMN! The different in gas savings alone compared to say a v8 sports car could yield another 4 banger daily driver...toyota engine / tranny reliability as well.. *

Iv been commuting 55 miles a day round trip for the past year or so..which will be reduced to 6 miles a day next month after our company move... much more time to take care of the cars now!