PDA

View Full Version : Mitsu scouts voiding warranties?!?

crapsstickman
06-14-2004, 01:58 PM
:shock:

Hey everyone, I just got this through the grapevine. Might be a rumor, or not, I don't know. If you read this post below you'll see what I'm talkin about.

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=1786feae852cca6f44addc0ee72bf7ff&threadid=88094

The talk is that Mitsu has been sending scouts out to local tracks for the sole purpose of voiding the warranties of the people racin'. I'm not sure if this is true, or not. But I believe the warrenties are not covered by mitsu themselves, but by other warranty companies.

What do you think? Is it a rumor, or the real thing. Just wanna get the word out to watch your back when your out there!

vtluu
06-14-2004, 02:32 PM
I've heard that rumor many times. I've read one first-hand account where it actually did happen. So clearly it has happened before, but that doesn't necessarily mean the practice is widespread. As for myself I didn't have any problems with that the last time I needed warranty service (5th gear synchro). (They'd have a pretty damned hard time arguing that autocross could damage my 5th gear synchro seeing as I usually don't even see 3rd.)

chrisw
06-14-2004, 04:58 PM
yeah, if you check on the evolution board, there are several threads on this issue.

I am a bit annoyed by this, but from my own experiance with my DSM, nothing has really changed.

tam@xperformance
05-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Bringing this thread back from the dead; looks like this practice still continues. From a racing mailing list I'm on:

Speaking of Evo's, at the last NASA event at Infineon I recognized a guy from the CCA Car Control Clinic. Very tall black guy with a supercharged Artic Silver E36 M3. I don't think he was there driving, just watching. I say hello and we are watching a race and he mentions he works for Mitsubishi and is taking down VIN numbers of the cars in the paddock. I guess he then enters them in their system and no more engine warranty. I know this was a hot topic on the web for a while but this just seems lame. Sure, if the software has been changed and boost increased that is reasonable but basically he said they don't have to
warranty even a stock engine for track driving.

So, my recommendation to those guys with street Evos, cover your VINS and remove your plates at the track.

Dbadged9
05-25-2007, 10:39 AM
take off plates and cover vins b4 u track

lncrevoviii
05-25-2007, 10:44 AM
f*ckin Mitsu you cheap POS.
Only if Evos were made by Toyota.

Toyota Warranty and staff FTMFWMFs

crctslt
05-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Back in the day Mitsu was known for having employees scout message boards as well. :o

I assume they still have people trolling around gathering information and voiding warranties.

This all bring up a point of interest for me. Are there any places on the car outside of the vin tag on the dash that can be used for I.D. purposes? As an example, on my 2g Eclipse all the window glass has the VIN etched into it.

tam@xperformance
05-25-2007, 11:05 AM
All the body panels from the factory will have labels with the VIN on them for theft deterrence purposes.

crctslt
05-25-2007, 12:24 PM
I have seen the stickers on the body panels. I should be more specific. Are there any places that are marked that are easily inspected that vehicle owners might choose to obscure?

O3EVO
05-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Without video proof they can't void your warranty.Â* There is nothing in the contract saying you can't be at a race facility.Â* They don't want you racing, but just because you are there doesn't mean you are doing anything.Â* They can't prove that you were on the track and racing.Â* You might have to fight it a little, but in the end you will get the warranty approved.

Take off your plates, and cover the VIN on the dash.Â* If someone opens your door at an event, that considered attempted burglary if you want to pursue it.Â* Keep and eye on your car at all times if possible...

And if you don't get it warrantied, that's why companies like AMS build stroker motors, and companies like GST and SpeedElement install them.Â* It's a one time fix, then you don't have to worry about it again