PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear about the Clutch Recall>

kataklyzm
06-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Neither have I. i hope all of you that have had the clutch fail will take the time to fill out the form on the NHTSA website. i am hoping enough complaints will get mitsubishi to get their $hit together..

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

vtluu
06-19-2004, 10:06 PM
I've seen threads and surveys on EvoM and I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with the stock clutch. Fact of the matter is it's not made for launching or drag racing. I expect mine to fail in the not-too-distant future but it'll be because I drove the snot out of it. For example I finished off the OEM tires after 6000 miles or so but that was because I drove the crap out of them at autocross; I don't blame the manufacturer for that. The clutch is a wear item. Beat on it and it will wear faster. Drive it like a normal daily-driver streetcar and it will last a long time. I have no love for Mitsubishi Motors but until I see any evidence of a real manufacturing or design defect with the clutch, I'll have to respectfully disagree with your view.

kataklyzm
06-19-2004, 10:32 PM
well, i never launched, or autoX, maybe a few straight line full throttles, but i tried to baby it as much as i could, and it still wore out in 6k miles... thats pretty bad IMO, i was expecting at least 10k the way i drive. i constantly launched and did burnouts in my civic and the engine gave out before the clutch did. it just doesnt seem right that a less than 6 month old car that isn't abused has a clutch fail so soon

vtluu
06-19-2004, 10:53 PM
I agree that in your case something was definitely wrong; I've launched a few times, made a bunch of "oopsies" resulting in a bit of clutch smoke, and the clutch is still holding up after 10k miles. I guess the question is if you just got a defective "Friday afternoon" part, or if there's something systematically wrong with Evo clutches.

kataklyzm
06-20-2004, 10:07 AM
well, whatever it is, if it failed under pretty normal driving conditions, i still think it should be covered under warranty. if i launched my car with 5k rpm clutch drops, i would understand it failing. but 6k miles is waaaaay too soon for the clutch

webguy330i
06-30-2004, 09:53 AM
21k miles and my stock clutch is still kickin it like the day I bought the car. 2 autox events, dorifto in the snow like whoa, a slipped launch here and there, oh and I let Jan drive it (j/p dude hehe) and it's still fine.

I can't decide if it's a general user error (driver) or system failure (mitsu).

kataklyzm
06-30-2004, 09:29 PM
well, i got mine replaced under warranty, and it looks like there was a faulty spring on the pressure plate. i dunno exactly what it does, but i also had a whole lot of hotspots and the center of the clutch was blued. maybe it didnt engage/disengage the clutch right away?

vtluu
06-30-2004, 09:49 PM
well, i got mine replaced under warranty, and it looks like there was a faulty spring on the pressure plate. i dunno exactly what it does, but i also had a whole lot of hotspots and the center of the clutch was blued. maybe it didnt engage/disengage the clutch right away?
Well the faulty spring could have (and did) caused a lot of problems. Of course the restrictor pill in the clutch line causes the clutch engagement to be not as crisp/sharp as some people would like... resutling in a fair bit of slippage (causing friction, causing heat, causing clutch smoke, glazing and flywheel hotspots) when you're launching the car. I replaced my clutch line with a stainless steel one hoping it would improve the engagement but I can't say it's been all that noticeable; I may take out the restrictor pill next, or maybe bore it out just a bit.