PDA

View Full Version : D'oh! (how to remove broken oil temp sender?)

vtluu
07-03-2004, 06:27 PM
So I tried putting in an oil temp sender in the unused port right next to the oil filter. Got the 8mm allen (hex) key and after a bit of tugging, got the plug loose and unscrewed.

But when I was screwing in the oil temp sender, I applied more torque than it could handle (even though it was still turning pretty easily and I had the torque wrench dialed in at 30 lb-ft, about the same as for the oil drain plug) and the head of the sender broke off. :oops: Picture the oil temp sender as a hollow bolt (closed on the end)--basically I broke off the head of the bolt. Now it's stuck there, pretty tight and I need to get it out (and put the plug back in).

There is a bit (maybe 2mm) of the threaded part exposed (the break was fairly clean) so I tried dremelling a slot into it but couldn't make the slot deep enough to really get a tool in there. The hole (hollow part of the bolt) is about 5-6 mm (1/5") in diameter.

I'm not too worried about it leaking, because the part that's still intact is one piece of brass and closed at the end, and in there pretty tight. But I'll eventually want to get it out--sooner rather than later--and put the original plug or a new sender back in.

How should I get it out? Should I:
- Use something like a screw extractor or rethreader?
- Weld (liquid-weld or real weld?) something into the hole that will allow me to apply enough torque to undo the bolt?
- Try something else I haven't thought of yet?

Help!

EvolvedDSM
07-03-2004, 07:16 PM
I'd lean more towards the extractor. If there's enough of the hollow area left, you should be able to use an EZ-out or the like to remove it

I think 30 is way too much (as you obviously found out). I want to say not more than 15-20 ft-lbs, but I'm still consulting my resources. Much more than that and you run the risk of cracking the housing (which is not fun to replace).

vtluu
07-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks Jamie, I'll go buy some extractor bits from Harbor Freight on Monday. Re: torque, I think you might be right (well obviously you are); 30 is for the factory oil drain plug which is solid steel. Oil temp senders are hollow brass and considerably more fragile. Actually I didn't know they were hollow until I broke one.

Things are okay for now, I drove the car to get groceries and there doesn't appear to be any oil leak. No autocrossing for me tomorrow though. :cry:

NgohOiNei
07-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Screw extractor.

vtluu
07-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone, a screw extractor and some cold spray (upside-down compressed air duster) (to cool the bolt and make it easier to extract) did the job in minutes. (Not counting the time to drain the oil or the trip to Harbor Freight.)

It's amazing how easy a task can be once you have the right tools.