PDA

View Full Version : How To/DIY: Oil Change

EvolvedDSM
08-16-2004, 03:04 PM
What you'll need: Â*Filter, 5 quarts of oil, 17mm socket/wrench, drain bucket.
What also comes in handy: Funnel, crush washer, torque wrench(es), oil filter wrench or other tool, brake parts cleaner or other solvent, paper towels or rag, gloves.

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album142/TheGoods.jpg

First, raise the front end of the car either with ramps, jack and stands, or a lift and secure it. Â*(It's possible to do this without raising the car up, but only complicates the whole procedure.) Â*It's best if the engine is a little warm. Â*It doesn't have to be full operating temperature, but warm enough that the gauge is on the move up.

Once the car and drain pan are in place, you'll be able to locate the drain plug and filter (picture taken from behind passenger front wheel):
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album142/DrainFilter.jpg

Remove the oil cap. Â*Using the 17mm socket or closed-end wrench, loosen the drain plug (circled above) while keeping track of the crush washer . Â*The oil will start seeping out as you start removing the bolt and will flow rather heavily as soon as the plug is out. Â*Next, remove the oil filter (red dot above next to oil pan). Â*It may be a bit tight and a removal tool comes in handy. Â*Once it's loose, some oil may drip around the edges. Â*When unscrewed, dump contents into drain pan. Â*Continue to allow oil to drain from oil pan and filter assembly until it only drips occasionally. Â*Clean up around the two locations to remove any old oil.

The filter (shown with tool in place):
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album142/FilterTool.jpg

Remove any plastic sheeting that may be attached to the new filter. Â*Fill the filter about 3/4 of the way with new oil and allow it to seep in (this may need to be repeated once or twice). Â*Coat the filter O-ring with oil as well as its threads. Â*Install the new filter being careful you do not cross-thread it. Â*It should go on very easily until it begins to touch the filter housing. Â*At that point either tighten it 1/2-3/4 of a turn or torque to 124 +/-18 in-lbs (about 11 +/- 1 ft-lbs).

Slide the new crush washer onto the bolt orientated as shown:
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album142/DrainPlugGasket.jpg

Place drain bolt back into pan and tighten to 29 +/- 3 ft-lbs. Â*Clean up any oil surrounding the two areas.

Add four quarts of oil via the oil cap. Â*Replace cap, start the engine and check for leaks. Â*If all is well, return vehicle to level position. Â*Once the engine is off, check the oil level. Â*You'll probably need to add about 1/2-3/4 of another quart to reach the MAX line on the dipstick.

MarkSAE
08-16-2004, 03:34 PM
I find 4 quarts not be enough. I need to fill up at least 4.75 qts to get the oil level in the between the indicators on the dipstick.

Nice writeup BTW.

EVO GRIM
08-16-2004, 07:39 PM
I need to start doing my own. I took the evo in to the local mechanic, after I had bought the oil and the filter, he still charged me $50 to change it and rotate the tires. Gets expensive.

Boostd4
08-16-2004, 09:10 PM
By far the cheapest place for Mobil 1 that I have found is Wal Mart. 5qt jug is 20.99 and you can put your used oil in it when you're done...works great.

warpspeed
08-16-2004, 10:11 PM
I get my Mobil 1 for $2.48 a quart. Oh btw, PepBoys sell Royal Purple if anybody wants to know or already know. :)

EvolvedDSM
08-16-2004, 10:26 PM
I find 4 quarts not be enough. I need to fill up at least 4.75 qts to get the oil level in the between the indicators on the dipstick.

Nice writeup BTW.

Four quarts is not enough, but it's enough to keep things in check as you drive the car off the ramps and onto level ground. If you keep the front elevated, you're likely to over/underfill ;) I usually end up using right around 4.75 myself.

TSi_2_EVO
08-16-2004, 10:31 PM
has anyone else noticed how tight the oil filter gets or is it just me? haha and how do you take off the old crush washer?

Evo8andahalf
08-16-2004, 11:08 PM
just wondering..im about to hit 2500 miles..should i change my oil now or wait for more miles if so how many? i heard that for brand new cars you should change the oil at 1000 cause of the break in period to get rid of all the shavings from the parts..and what about for future oil changes? how often should i change?

EvolvedDSM
08-17-2004, 08:08 AM
The old crush washer usually comes off the drain plug with the help of a small screwdriver. I think getting the first one off is the worst because it's been painted after installation.

The manual state oil changes should come every 5000 miles (3750 miles under "severe" driving conditions). A number of people still can't get away from the 3000-mile interval ;) It's not a bad idea to change the first one early. I've done this on every other new car I've bought, but didn't this time.

MarkSAE
08-17-2004, 09:21 AM
I did my first oil change at 1500 miles. Second one at 4500. Next one will be at 8500 and then every 4k miles. I mostly commute w/ my car, so my driving conditions aren't too extreme. Just a lot of stop and go traffic.

CollinsT
08-19-2004, 02:00 AM
I get my Mobil 1 for $2.48 a quart. Oh btw, PepBoys sell Royal Purple if anybody wants to know or already know. :)Royal Purple is some good stuff, I have it in my tranny, transfer case, and rear dif. I am going to put it in the engine as soon as I need a oil change

Eclipse
01-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Any problem with just unplugging the wire on the oil temp sensor? And using an open ended wrench? Is the sensor delicate?

I have a P/N difference with a 05

New filter MD356000

lqdchkn
01-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Why are you doing this?

vtluu
01-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Why are you doing this?
Why is who doing what? :?

lqdchkn
01-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Any problem with just unplugging the wire on the oil temp sensor? And using an open ended wrench? Is the sensor delicate?

I have a P/N difference with a 05

New filter MD356000

This

vtluu
01-17-2005, 04:11 PM
The oil temp sensor replaces the drain plug, so to undo the drain plug you need to take off the wire first (well I guess you could twist it 'round and 'round but that's bad idea). I have a VDO temp sensor (a.k.a. oil temp sender) with a spade-type terminal so the wire comes right off and I can use a wrench or socket to undo the sender/plug.

BTW, part MD356000 is the old part number, the new one is MZ690116. But part number notwithstanding, they're the same part.

DnB_design
01-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Nice write-up....right now I get my done at SEARS for $44.45.

vtluu
01-17-2005, 05:31 PM
That's not too bad assuming everything's included. The oil will run about $25, the filter and crush washer another $5 (yes I know you can--and I do--get both cheaper), so you're paying about $15 for the oil change itself. Depends what the time/hassle is worth to you... I do it because I know I'll do it right and use the right parts and materials.

Eclipse
01-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Why are you doing this?

Because I think that 5k miles is too far to go for the first change. The oil temp sensor is the drain plug. So if you want to change your oil you have to remove the sensor.

The sensor can spin within the plug so it won't have to be unplugged but for the sake of longevity I did it anyway.

We figured out the part number problem. My VIN isn't on CAPS yet so we went from the filter number on the car. All EVO filters are the number seen in the pic.

airforce1
07-01-2007, 05:23 PM
subscribed

Darwinator
07-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Yes the oil temp sensor is mated to the drain plug, so i just loosen and unscrew it to allow the oil to come out.

lqdchkn
07-01-2007, 08:15 PM
subscribed

Yes the oil temp sensor is mated to the drain plug, so i just loosen and unscrew it to allow the oil to come out.

^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No1 has posted in here for 2 years good luck with the subscription.

PANGES
07-02-2007, 02:10 AM
Damn... I wish I had that pic Tam always uses... :(

trinydex
10-08-2007, 10:39 AM
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=22443.new#new