PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know and play Dungeons and Dragons?

toasty
08-17-2004, 10:02 AM
I know it is a geek thing, but has anyone here on the boards play it or know about it. I hate to be the one who only plays it and know it here. :huh:

I know that in the past post I have posted stupid stuff, but I am trying to make this more exciting subjects to talk about. :chatter:

Anyone? :computer:

JanSolo
08-17-2004, 10:35 AM
I used to when I was a kid, but now I just play Neverwinter Nights. :D Video games are cooler than traditional pen and paper RPGs. ;)

Susurrus
08-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Old Skool gamer here... 2nd Ed was the last time I played. I like NWN too, but none of my old gamer buddies like it, so they all get together and play 3rd Ed now.

Ahh the days... :lol:

Sus

toasty
08-17-2004, 01:29 PM
I also am playing 3rd edition, but NWN is great for soloing and LAN parties, but actually playing the DnD gaming session are good, because you get to know new people, or just hang out with your friends while think about going on an adventure hunting monsters and saving the world.

Basically letting you imagination go wild, especially the DM. (a wild world the DM can create)

I like the whole interaction on just getting together with people and being geeks for the night.
Usually happens on a Saturday night . :crazyeyes:

chrisw
08-17-2004, 01:33 PM
man... havn't thought about D&D for ages... Used to play back in college. Start on a friday afternoon, We would quite literally play straight through 'till Sunday.

toasty
08-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Damn, you guys were hardcore, through till Sunday, Wow.
:werd:
What no sleep?

Evo442
08-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Damn - now thats a blast from the past. We used to play in high school, 20+ hours at a time! I think I still have my lead figurines etc somewhere...

toasty
08-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Maybe maybe we can start up an adventure someday.

JanSolo
08-17-2004, 11:39 PM
I played a couple other TSR games, admittedly: Boot Hill, Top Secret and Star Frontiers. Why limit yourself to one genre of dork games? ;)

chrisw
08-18-2004, 07:39 AM
Damn, you guys were hardcore, through till Sunday, Wow.
:werd:
What no sleep?

sleep? nah, more coffee...

toasty
08-18-2004, 11:01 AM
how about redbulls and coke-cola?
JanSolo, Limit is not the thing, it is time , who has time to read every other TSR game out there. Dont get me wrong, but I like to try other games too.
What other games do most of you guys play? I still like DnD, but I occassionally play Vampire.

I like vampire better, because it is less restrictive and can do almost anything in the sanerio.

JanSolo
08-18-2004, 11:14 AM
I tried tons of RPGs when I was a kid. Harn (by Columbia Games), Champions, GURP, Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, TMNT (turtle power!), Robotech, Car Wars, Demonsword and a lot of the TSR games.

By far, my favorite was Harn (http://www.columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/allharnitems.cfg). It was the most complicated at times but also the most realistic.

vtluu
08-18-2004, 12:34 PM
I played AD&D 2nd Ed., a bit of AD&D 1st Ed. at club meets and tournaments, Star Wars, a bit of Warhammer 2000, and TORG (I never really understood that game). Star Wars was my favourite mainly because we had a really good DM and the game mechanics were simple and easy to learn.

I have a number of problems with AD&D: game mechanics can be burdensome ("I need 4 D12s, can I borrow 2 from someone?" "Hmm, lemme see, what's my saving throw against cold-based paralysis attacks?"), combat is super-slow ("You and your party find yourselves ambushed by 37 hobgoblins!" :groan:), and 2nd Ed. had all these stupid "optional" rules and rulebooks (which became increasingly obvious as a blatant ploy by TSR to sell more rulebooks) that made refereeing something of a legal battle at times.

I'd hoped NWN multiplayer could streamline the game mechanics while allowing for a DM to run the game with the flexibility that the paper game allowed, but apparently the game doesn't allow the DM to control things nearly as much as needed... or so I've heard.

toasty
08-18-2004, 03:25 PM
I thing that DnD 3rd edition and 3.5, are still based mainly on battling. Mostly I think it is mainly based off of the DM who created the sanerio, I mean the campaign.

If someone start a NorcalEVO.net NWN, I like to join and see how far we get as a team.

Do you guys think that will be a great idea?
Please, I bored at night after work and I dont have my EVO yet, so I cannot cruise around .

A NorCalEVO.net game night.

kataklyzm
08-18-2004, 04:59 PM
i used to play, but i was always more into battletech...
cuz fighting robots are freaking cool

JanSolo
08-18-2004, 05:41 PM
i used to play, but i was always more into battletech...
cuz fighting robots are freaking cool

Oops! Played that one too. They had the mechs right out of Robotech, er Macross.

kataklyzm
08-18-2004, 10:36 PM
haha yeah i heard they got sued for jacking some of the designs (the marauder, warhammer and LAMs ) i dont know what the macross equivalents were, but i still have toms of miniatures...maybe i should hit up ebay lol

toasty
08-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Maybe someone should start up a campaign so we can start playing something during the week for maybe about 4 hours a session.

I like to learn a new game, even if it is old to people, new to me because I dont play much of anything else.

doce_pt2
08-24-2004, 06:52 PM
I used to play it a loooong time back, in Elementary school. The cartoon series was awesome. Movie hella SUCKED !!

:twisted:

toasty
08-24-2004, 09:30 PM
YUP TO THE MOVIES.
I still play DnD with my friends, I am starting in my own campaign with my friend involving oriental adventure,which includes ninja, samuris, and shugenja and other stuff from L5R.

doce_pt2
08-31-2004, 01:20 PM
It had to happen sooner or later but here it is. D & D online !!

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_dndonline.html

:axe:

toasty
08-31-2004, 01:34 PM
yeah, but i think it will be like FFXI online, or maybe more confusing.

WRXTodd
08-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Some friends and I are running the first exp. of NWN Shadows of Undertide right now, there are 4 of us. We still play D&D 3rd edition, we are in between campaigns right now due to work schedules. Am i the only one that played RIFTS? It is the only pen and paper i havent seen mentioned

JanSolo
08-31-2004, 04:50 PM
I never played RIFTS, though my friends did.

Damn.. I forgot I used to play Traveller as well. Yep, I was a dorky kid.

garrick70
08-31-2004, 07:18 PM
For me it was Warhammer and Warhammer 40K. Not really an RPG, but we did roll dice.

JanSolo
08-31-2004, 10:36 PM
For me it was Warhammer and Warhammer 40K. Not really an RPG, but we did roll dice.

Now there is that massively multiplayer game based on Warhammer coming out.

Susurrus
09-01-2004, 12:27 PM
DnD, ADnD, Rifts, Gurps, Palladium, Battletech... My friends and I played them all! Then the computer became more common and all we play PnP style was DnD.

Strange that we liked all the old "Gold Box" games so much, Baldurs Gate etc, but none of them want to play NWN?

Sus <---Dorky Jock (isn't that an oxymoron?)

toasty
09-01-2004, 01:48 PM
why dont we have some kind of gathering and start one of these DnD thing or one of the pen and paper rpg?
If that is too difficult , maybe computer and try NWN on someone's server.

Just any idea that I like to throw around out here.

:read:

garrick70
09-01-2004, 05:44 PM

Now there is that massively multiplayer game based on Warhammer coming out.

Yeah, They will also be releasing a Starcraft type game called Dawn of War based around the 40k universe.