PDA

View Full Version : Popping the hood/trunk

UCLAevoIX
07-01-2007, 03:00 PM
I thought it was your choice on whether or not to pop the hood/trunk, and, unless you voluntarily did it or handed over the keys, you could leave it all closed.Â* Isn't there some right that protects you from a cop that asks you to open up your car?

Not that it matters much now, because I'm stock, but I don't like cops pushing their limits and violating their own procedures.

uhoh_evo
07-01-2007, 03:35 PM
From what I remember there was something about it that we should do. But as far as what I THINK, they can't force you to pop your hood, but it'll make them harass you even more. Like "failure to cooperate" er something. And if you are completely stock, their reason to pull you over has to have something that may lead them to believe you have mods. Like they can't pull you over for faulty taillight then proceed to inspect your car.

All again what I think

Unowned
07-01-2007, 03:52 PM
there is nothing to protect you against how a cop can enforce the laws.

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Basically you're stuck doing what they say but you can bring them to court if you wish to press charges on the account of harassment. The court will be slanted toward the cop's favor but that's about as much you can do.

There was a new law passed that stated that all an officer needs to search your car is a suspicion and that is covered under the safety of the majority (you MAY have mods thus you MIGHT speed and in doing said speeding you're LIKELY to kill someone or yourself). I think it was due cause? /shrug.

Cliffnotes: You gotta do it. No if ands or buts because they'll just impound the car and check it there. And if you're stock you're gonna foot a big fact impound lot bill for trying to pick a fight. :? I hate it when my dad's right...

I haven't gotten pulled in teh Evo but this is what I understand from everyone elses encounters and what I've heard on the news.

redevil9mr
07-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Just try to be polite and make the jobs easier for the police officers and they will make your life easier. Just cooperate with them and make them very calm.

dl_EVO
07-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Trunk and Cabin you need a warrant/consent/probably cause with arrest. UNLESS there is something illegal in PLAIN view of the police officer which then would allow him to search the vehicle.

Hood: You must open..no choice on that one.

This is information I received from my friend who is a detective for the SFPD.

ReSin
07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
I think that's crap...what law or vehicle code gives them the right to pop your hood. I don't understand how. I can understand if you were drinking and driving...had a big bud sitting on the dash, some fingers hanging out of the trunk...but if your exhaust is not stock/ or is...that gives them probably cause why...oh yeah...you drive an import and that makes you a street racer...whatever. I'm going to ask my buddy who's an Oakland PD on this. I think our rights are being violated. Time to do some research...

Dennis

ReSin
07-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Alright...read the post on "got a ticket to the state ref". Understand a little more, but why all of the sudden increase in citations. I've seen more stock kaas street racing than modified ones...or is CARB giving out bonus' on the most tickets written for violations. It's time to get the hell out of Dodge...one more year.

Dennis

UCLAevoIX
07-02-2007, 06:18 PM
I think that's crap...what law or vehicle code gives them the right to pop your hood. I don't understand how. I can understand if you were drinking and driving...had a big bud sitting on the dash, some fingers hanging out of the trunk...but if your exhaust is not stock/ or is...that gives them probably cause why...oh yeah...you drive an import and that makes you a street racer...whatever. I'm going to ask my buddy who's an Oakland PD on this. I think our rights are being violated. Time to do some research...

Dennis

exactly. obviously if a cop pulls me over and asks for it, i'll try to be as polite and accommodating as possible, but it still frustrates me that the principle of it all is because we're being profiled. probable cause because mitsu made a beastly car straight from the factory?

dl_EVO
07-02-2007, 06:35 PM
You have fast and furious trilogy to thank for our harassment.

Modifying your car wasn't a problem before, but street racing was. Now both is a huge problem in the police officers eyes.

These types of vehicles have been around since the days of prohibition.

warpspeed
07-03-2007, 11:55 AM
As far as I know, they have to have a reason to pull you over (tinted front windows,no front plates etc.) for them to tell you to pop your hood.

ReSin
07-03-2007, 12:37 PM
My front plate is going back on today...plus I was getting annoyed about it vibrating against the windsheild anyways.

Dennis

SilverStreak
07-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Pretty much been said before, if you get pulled over...you might as well bend over at the same time.

What sucks about this is, the moment you do allow your car for inspection, you waive any constiutional right to search and seizure (supposedly). So if they go under your hood, they don't have to stop there.

The only loophole there is, iirc, is that you can try to sucker the cop into doing it for you. I remember reading a while back about a honda owner getting pulled over and "inspected".

Heres the catch, when the officer asked to pop the hood, the owner opened his door and motioned toward the lever. The officer popped the hood. The same with the trunk.

He took it to court and the judge threw out the case because there was no verbal consent to the search. Basically, thats the only supposed loophole we have. you have to give verbal consent and authorization, if you can sucker the cop into doing it for you, you have a way out.

I tried this out one time, but the cop refused to do it himself. I opened the door and pointed to the lever, he told me to do it. Then I stayed in the car while he walked to the front, but he told me to get out and do it. I had nothing on the car at the time that was illegal, so there was no ticket, but I had to try.

mtsevovii
07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
or we need to find a place to fab covers like this :lol:

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/magazine/images/2006LexusIS350V6Engine01.jpg

awdaddict
07-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Pretty much been said before, if you get pulled over...you might as well bend over at the same time.

What sucks about this is, the moment you do allow your car for inspection, you waive any constiutional right to search and seizure (supposedly). So if they go under your hood, they don't have to stop there.

The only loophole there is, iirc, is that you can try to sucker the cop into doing it for you. I remember reading a while back about a honda owner getting pulled over and "inspected".

Heres the catch, when the officer asked to pop the hood, the owner opened his door and motioned toward the lever. The officer popped the hood. The same with the trunk.

He took it to court and the judge threw out the case because there was no verbal consent to the search. Basically, thats the only supposed loophole we have. you have to give verbal consent and authorization, if you can sucker the cop into doing it for you, you have a way out.

I tried this out one time, but the cop refused to do it himself. I opened the door and pointed to the lever, he told me to do it. Then I stayed in the car while he walked to the front, but he told me to get out and do it. I had nothing on the car at the time that was illegal, so there was no ticket, but I had to try.

ooo... slick...

or we need to find a place to fab covers like this :lol:

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/magazine/images/2006LexusIS350V6Engine01.jpg

haha... we need Engine cover that reads "4Banger" instead of "V6"

Unowned
07-03-2007, 02:36 PM

If this is the case cops cannot still force you to pop your hood, telling you to pop your hood is not verbal consent

uhoh_evo
07-03-2007, 02:47 PM
It's like the whole idea of if a cop comes knockin on your door. They can't search the home er even enter it if you don't open the door. If you do they walk right in and do their business. It's implied consent. That really is all that they proly need.

But I still d/k what they could charge you w/ er what they would do if you just preservere and say no. I'm again assuming "failure to cooperate". But what are the penalties of that?

uhoh_evo
07-03-2007, 02:49 PM
It's like the whole idea of if a cop comes knockin on your door. They can't search the home er even enter it if you don't open the door. If you do they walk right in and do their business. It's implied consent. That really is all that they proly need.

But I still d/k what they could charge you w/ er what they would do if you just preservere and say no. I'm again assuming "failure to cooperate". But what are the penalties of that?

uhoh_evo
07-03-2007, 02:52 PM

awdaddict
07-03-2007, 02:52 PM

hold you there on the spot til they get the warrant?! :?

uhoh_evo
07-03-2007, 02:54 PM
HaHa. Oh yea

mtsevovii
07-03-2007, 02:57 PM

hold you there on the spot til they get the warrant?! :?

:lol: yep. its just a phone call away.

SilverStreak
07-03-2007, 03:04 PM

Best case scenario I've heard: Â*Cop realizes it's a waste of time and lets you go with a warning.

Worst case scenario: Â*They sit you on the curb with cuffs embarassing you as traffic drives by. Â*They get all their buddies to come over to make it look like a big bust. Â*While you wait for hours, they get ahold of a search warrant. Â*
When they obtain it, they bring in the search dogs as well to make it look like an even bigger bust. Â*They rip everything out of your car, throw it onto the street curb. Â*While the dogs are searching your car, they do their "business" in it. Â*The cops then write you up for every little thing they can find. Â*i.e unsafe tires, illegal bulbs, improper liscense plate mounting, blah blah blah blah blah. Â*

Then laugh, tell you not to f-ck with them and leave you on the curb, with your car filled with dog crap and in a ton of pieces. Â*

uhoh_evo
07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Psh... That all? =oT

PANGES
07-03-2007, 04:04 PM

Best case scenario I've heard: Cop realizes it's a waste of time and lets you go with a warning.

Worst case scenario: They sit you on the curb with cuffs embarassing you as traffic drives by. They get all their buddies to come over to make it look like a big bust. While you wait for hours, they get ahold of a search warrant.
When they obtain it, they bring in the search dogs as well to make it look like an even bigger bust. They rip everything out of your car, throw it onto the street curb. While the dogs are searching your car, they do their "business" in it. The cops then write you up for every little thing they can find. i.e unsafe tires, illegal bulbs, improper liscense plate mounting, blah blah blah blah blah.

Then laugh, tell you not to f-ck with them and leave you on the curb, with your car filled with dog crap and in a ton of pieces.

Is this first hand experience? :D

SilverStreak
07-03-2007, 04:16 PM
LOL...thank god...no.

Back when the first FnF came out and the big crackdowns started occurring, there were tons of threads of cops going crazy.

There were even a bulletins going around to inspect modified cars for having / transporting illegal and stolen electronics.

In FnF2, there were bulletins that imported cars were transporting drugs.

In FnF3, cops made it a point to patrol multi-level parking garages.

So in general, if you ask for crazy stories, you get some.

UCLAevoIX
07-04-2007, 04:02 PM
In FnF3, cops made it a point to patrol multi-level parking garages.

lol. great way to keep the streets safe.....

06MitsuEvoSe
07-08-2007, 02:05 PM
I let a cop pop my hood the other day just so he wouldn't push harder on trying to give me a speeding ticket. It was the same day I threw my bov and drop-in on the car. I thought he might look past the only illegal part on the car, but it was the first thing he went for!

Eric_SJ
04-05-2008, 12:43 AM
California Vehicle Code 2806:

Any regularly employed and salaried police officer or deputy sheriff, or any reserve police officer or reserve deputy sheriff listed in Section 830.6 of the Penal Code, having reasonable cause to believe that any vehicle or combination of vehicles is not equipped as required by this code or is in any unsafe condition as to endanger any person, may require the driver to stop and submit the vehicle or combination of vehicles to an inspection and those tests as may be appropriate to determine the safety to persons and compliance with the code.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d02/vc2806.htm

JERRY
04-24-2008, 12:13 PM
It's 100% true. If you are pulled over for the smallest thing, they have the option of a justified search of the vehicle. I was recently driving my girlfriend's car to pick up a friend. She does not have a front plate. It was about 2:30 in the afternoon on Saturday. I was pulled over for no front plate, and the officer asked me to step out of the car for a SOBRIETY TEST. I complied since I only had two beers like 3 hours before hand. Then he asked me to open the trunk and pop the hood, so I did, and then searched the back seats. He asked who's shoes were in the truck (my girlfriend's heels from a meeting the week before) and I said they were mine. He laughed, I showed him the registration with my girlfriend's name, and he didn't even cite me for the missing front plate.

I later asked an officer friend of mine about this, and he told me that basically the police officers can justify a search or sobriety testing based on any form of violation, burnt out bulbs, no front plate, anything.... but in theory, if your car is 100% violation-free, and you drive within legal limits, you will never be stopped. If the car complies with all laws from the outside, and it's well within the 93dB limit, you should have no problem with mods.

Jerry

SilverStreak
04-24-2008, 12:54 PM
and it's well within the 93dB limit, you should have no problem with mods.

The catch being that the 93-95db limit is up to the officer's discretion. I was pulled over in my old civic with paper from the manu. stating my exhaust was legal, w/no moving violation brought up against me, and no illegal visual modifications...my car was still searched.

I think the socalevo boards say that when you get pulled over, and they ask you to pop the hood: Just bend over and try to relax.

AreSTG
04-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Cliffnotes: You gotta do it. No if ands or buts because they'll just impound the car and check it there. And if you're stock you're gonna foot a big fact impound lot bill for trying to pick a fight. :? I hate it when my dad's right...

I haven't gotten pulled in teh Evo but this is what I understand from everyone elses encounters and what I've heard on the news.

that's what i've heard since getting to CA too. Funny how in the east coast states i've been pulled over in they need a fucking warrent to search your car. unless you leave something in sight like a hypodermic needle.

4g63t
05-01-2008, 09:06 PM
California Vehicle Code 2806:

Any regularly employed and salaried police officer or deputy sheriff, or any reserve police officer or reserve deputy sheriff listed in Section 830.6 of the Penal Code, having reasonable cause to believe that any vehicle or combination of vehicles is not equipped as required by this code or is in any unsafe condition as to endanger any person, may require the driver to stop and submit the vehicle or combination of vehicles to an inspection and those tests as may be appropriate to determine the safety to persons and compliance with the code.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d02/vc2806.htm

Hahaha......... I don't see how the exhaust, front license plate, tinted windows etc could possibly be perceived as items that may endanger people?
93db limit.. Why don't they do something about those Ferraris? Oh they're running on V12 engines. So if I had a v12 engine on my Evo will that makes me legal to have such exhaust system?... oh wait. I can't cause the aftermarket parts would violate the law (endangering and putting people's safety in jeopardy). Well.. I'm not trying to be sarcastic here but fellow mate do you see how funny things work?

If other states can do it why not California? Btw there have been few articles out about ex-cops talking about the existence of quotas and the loopholes on how they go about doing it without violating the law. There are a few of them who are willing to step out and be witness for the accusations.

Instead of pulling people over for tinted windows, no front license plates, aftermarket exhausts etc.. why don't they spend more time and resources on catching the real bad guys? The funnier thing is that we're paying taxes to sustain the operation of those so call "law enforcement" officers and they're hitting back to us. How many us actually feel intimidated or petrified when seeing cops around even we've not done anything that violates the law? Shouldn't we feel safe and protected with them around since they're out there to protect us?

I really hope that there are cops that could actually step up and say something.. & I do respect those who've done so.

Just my 0.02 (sorry for the long thread guys)
Good day =)

Underated4g64
06-07-2008, 01:19 PM
just tell them you dont consent to a search and ask if your free to leave... its all in the wording. if they tell you know your are not free to leave, then you are being detained. people have gotten cases thrown out for unnecessarily long detentions. the trick is being polite even tho your being fukd with. also search warrants have to be approved by a judge what judge is going to grant a warrant to search a car because the owner doesn't have a front license plate or because they have a modified exhaust which the officer hasnt tested to see if it within the legal limits lol

police use scare tactics plain and simple the more people that let them get away with it the more they are going to abuse the power they have.

also dont ever admit to anything when the cops ask you "do you know why i pulled you over?" just say no. if they have to ask that means they dont have enough evidence to perform a search themselves

PANGES
06-09-2008, 09:26 AM
boo

Lurk
06-09-2008, 10:15 PM
just tell them you dont consent to a search and ask if your free to leave... its all in the wording. if they tell you know your are not free to leave, then you are being detained. people have gotten cases thrown out for unnecessarily long detentions. the trick is being polite even tho your being fukd with. also search warrants have to be approved by a judge what judge is going to grant a warrant to search a car because the owner doesn't have a front license plate or because they have a modified exhaust which the officer hasnt tested to see if it within the legal limits lol

police use scare tactics plain and simple the more people that let them get away with it the more they are going to abuse the power they have.

also dont ever admit to anything when the cops ask you "do you know why i pulled you over?" just say no. if they have to ask that means they dont have enough evidence to perform a search themselves

QFT