PDA

View Full Version : TBE Setup.. Mainly HFC setups though.

MaxKanisha
09-23-2007, 01:38 PM
I just wanted to know your guys' TBE setup (Concerning those with a HFC only). I want to know if you guys passed smog, and also, if you got pulled over, did they check for your cat? Do the cops know the difference between the stock cat and a HFC?

I was thinking about going with the Buschur TBE w/Bullet Muffler.. Anyone else running this setup?

RREVOVIII
09-23-2007, 02:00 PM
i would get the Rally Cat instead of a High Flow Cat.

chrisw
09-23-2007, 02:38 PM

there is no way in hell you are going to pass the smog with a rally cat. With a HFC you have a chance. I would just go with one of the tweaked works cats, or find a new CAT before going to the smog check.

RREVOVIII
09-23-2007, 02:51 PM

there is no way in hell you are going to pass the smog with a rally cat. With a HFC you have a chance. I would just go with one of the tweaked works cats, or find a new CAT before going to the smog check.
i never said that you can pass a smog on a Rally Cat, i was talking performance wise. :D

Travisivart190
09-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Why don't you just slap a Cat in before you get smogged. Smogging is the least of my worries currently, and if you're extremely concerned about cops, I wouldn't hesitate using a test pipe. I've had cops sitting next to me at lights, and behind me, and they haven't noticed it at all. Just don't drive like a complete dick, and I'm sure you'll be ok. I have a Helix Downpipe, Helix Cat delete, HKS Carbon Ti Cat-back. Hope this helps ya a bit.
Travis

Positron
09-23-2007, 03:37 PM
A smog shop will not pass your car if they see aftermarket cat of any sort.

chrisw
09-23-2007, 04:35 PM
A smog shop that gives a shit will not pass your car if they see aftermarket cat of any sort.

fixed it for ya.

dl_EVO
09-24-2007, 01:16 PM
^ LOL +1

ronpanama
09-24-2007, 01:23 PM
If the smog shop sees anything modified before the cat it wont pass the visual
anyways. Go with a rally cat and when its time to get smogged put your stock
cat or a hfc on and hope for the best.

awdaddict
09-24-2007, 01:27 PM

+1
if you are too lazy to swap cats
and if you are too concern about cops,
then you shouldn't run anything besides the stock cat.

MaxKanisha
09-24-2007, 03:39 PM

+1

Yeah thats the thing, I was gonna keep the stock TBE and switch out when its time to smog. Would that be my best bet? But how many people actually got checked to see if they had a cat or not? Because I'm contemplating whether I should use a TP or HFC.

awdaddict
09-24-2007, 03:41 PM
I think the experience cops would able to tell by the smell?!
I mean the typical case is fixit ticket, a worse scenario would be state ref.
Either way, you'll fork out a lil extra time to put ur car back to stock and get it signed off.

Travisivart190
09-24-2007, 03:44 PM

+1

Yeah thats the thing, I was gonna keep the stock TBE and switch out when its time to smog. Would that be my best bet? But how many people actually got checked to see if they had a cat or not? Because I'm contemplating whether I should use a TP or HFC.

That's what I'm doing. I figure that it'll take up a bit of space in my garage for some time, but otherwise I can bolt it back on in time for a smog check. Depending on your catback exhaust system, you may not even need to buy a resonated test pipe. My HKS Carbon Ti is quiet enough to where it produces less noise than a friend's Tanabe Concept G Blue with a Rally cat.

MaxKanisha
09-24-2007, 04:31 PM
I think the experience cops would able to tell by the smell?!
I mean the typical case is fixit ticket, a worse scenario would be state ref.
Either way, you'll fork out a lil extra time to put ur car back to stock and get it signed off.

Really? For no cat? I heard that they straight up put your car on a flatbed..

That's what I'm doing. I figure that it'll take up a bit of space in my garage for some time, but otherwise I can bolt it back on in time for a smog check. Depending on your catback exhaust system, you may not even need to buy a resonated test pipe. My HKS Carbon Ti is quiet enough to where it produces less noise than a friend's Tanabe Concept G Blue with a Rally cat.

Hmmm, what are you running? A HFC?

bssybeep
09-24-2007, 07:09 PM
"I was thinking about going with the Buschur TBE w/Bullet Muffler.. Anyone else running this setup?"

That's what I'm planning to run, with HFC. I figure when it's finally time for smog (6yrs) it will be sufficiently grimy underneath to pass any visual. I suspect the majority of smog check gas stations will only care if a cat is in place (any cat).

typhoon 28
09-24-2007, 10:56 PM
"I was thinking about going with the Buschur TBE w/Bullet Muffler.. Anyone else running this setup?"

That's what I'm planning to run, with HFC. I figure when it's finally time for smog (6yrs) it will be sufficiently grimy underneath to pass any visual. I suspect the majority of smog check gas stations will only care if a cat is in place (any cat).

I bought my car used w/ the buschur 3''tbe, but it has the magnaflow silencer instead of the bullet. It's quieter then the bullet, & if if ya don't wanna attract attention to yo' self, I'd go the quieter but still high performance route (& it may sound "cool" w/ louder muff, but you will end up w/ a headache on daily drives alot). hope that makes sense.