PDA

View Full Version : will I pass a state ref smog if I........

JDMgrafiteMR
10-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Question:

Given that the state ref dont check underneath the car will I passs smog with everything stock except for my DP? Im running the WORKS DP and planning on switching my cat and cat-back for the stock cat and cat-back. Everything under the hood is back to stock except for lower I/C piping (Which shouldnt matter right?Also running the fuel pump).

I have an appt w/ the ref today and I couldnt find my dp so I went to court to ask for an extention on my fix it ticket. But if I am unable to locate a stock exhaust WILL I PASS WITH AN AFTERMARKET DP?

Kings Fan
10-15-2007, 11:09 AM
I thought downpipes were legal as long as you have a cat?

JDMgrafiteMR
10-15-2007, 11:14 AM
as far as I know any aftermarket modification before the cat is illegal. but i wanna know if i'll pass smog with a aftrmrkt dp

chrisw
10-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I thought downpipes were legal as long as you have a cat?

technically nothing before the cat can be replaced.

DJMic0
10-15-2007, 11:31 AM
I believe everything should be fine as long as you have the stock cat.

Evo9R
10-15-2007, 12:18 PM
you should be ok

mr05evo
10-15-2007, 01:46 PM
You should be okay as far as the sniffer goes.

stockEVO8
10-15-2007, 04:25 PM
hey if u dont pass...i have my stock dp if u wanna borrow

JDMgrafiteMR
10-15-2007, 04:38 PM
thx stockevo8. i can just grab it from you if i need to. you work right next to me. i pass by your car everytime i skate home. stupid cops hide out at that corner. i got 2 state ref ticket in 2 days by 2 diff cops in that same area back to back.

stockEVO8
10-15-2007, 08:11 PM
thx stockevo8. i can just grab it from you if i need to. you work right next to me. i pass by your car everytime i skate home. stupid cops hide out at that corner. i got 2 state ref ticket in 2 days by 2 diff cops in that same area back to back.

aite jus let me kno...

wow 2 state ref tickets huh...where was this exactly

turboevo8
10-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I Believe an aftermarket DP will not pass. If he doesn't notice it, you will pass the tail pipe. If you have an old MSD or something with A CARB# on it and can stick a sticker on the hood or fire wall, you might just be able to point at it and say the DP has a carb #. I also have a stock dp if you need it.

Sfkn2
10-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I think you'll be fine.

steevo8
10-15-2007, 10:06 PM
In CA they could fail you for replacing even a bolt on your exhaust system. No part of the emissions (which includes exhaust) can be altered unless carb approved with that said its a toss up wheather or not they will see it or not.

DJMic0
10-16-2007, 09:55 AM
There was actually a thread in which someone started a few months back, that he passed smog with "X" amount of mods. A few of those mods were cams, cam gears, down pipe and an exhaust. He said that he had to install back his OEM cat to pass it though. So this is my reason to believe that you would be ok.

dl_EVO
10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
it depends on the ref

some refs don't give a crap.

Sfkn2
10-16-2007, 10:20 AM
In CA they could fail you for replacing even a bolt on your exhaust system. No part of the emissions (which includes exhaust) can be altered unless carb approved with that said its a toss up wheather or not they will see it or not.

That's not true. The rules contradict itself, as one may not modify their exhaust, yet they can "replace" it with an aftermarket exhaust that does not exceed 95 decibels.

EVOSteve7
10-16-2007, 12:26 PM
i agree
if you cant "technically" replace any thing before the CAT then why is my DC sports header CARB legal in my Honda?

DJMic0
10-16-2007, 03:01 PM
^^^ that right there my friend is called logical and critical thinking. It helps me get through college... MULTIPLE CHOICE Test FTMFW.

DJMic0
10-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Here, I took a break from my essay to help you find this link

http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=18124.0

"awdaddict" changed his whole exhaust system back to stock except his perrin 3 inch DP. HFC to stock and Greddy TI CBE to stock CBE.

Bobby McFerrin bitches... Don't worry, be happy.

JDMgrafiteMR
10-17-2007, 06:01 PM

aite jus let me kno...

both on tully and capitol. 1 got me on the side of the mercedes dealership and the other got me on the pumpkin patch side

stockEVO8
10-17-2007, 07:47 PM

aite jus let me kno...

both on tully and capitol. 1 got me on the side of the mercedes dealership and the other got me on the pumpkin patch side

wow i work at the MB dealer

DeaDenD
10-17-2007, 08:10 PM
i passed ref with my 3in perrin dp, stock cat and 3in esperlir exhaust. so i think youll be ok. as long ass you have a stock cat and under the hood looks stock . if you don't pass, there just going to tell you to go home and fix the problem and come back.

R-Ev0LuTi0N
10-18-2007, 09:27 PM
so then I should be ok as well..my date with the state ref is tomorrow..I have similar mods as you deadend..i just switched my testpipe with my stock cat...you've brought high hopes of me passing..lol...yes!

Sfkn2
10-18-2007, 09:29 PM
^^ Good luck.

R-Ev0LuTi0N
10-18-2007, 09:44 PM
^^ thanx, im gonna need it.

Mister_Pants
10-18-2007, 09:52 PM
I Believe an aftermarket DP will not pass. If he doesn't notice it, you will pass the tail pipe. If you have an old MSD or something with A CARB# on it and can stick a sticker on the hood or fire wall, you might just be able to point at it and say the DP has a carb #. I also have a stock dp if you need it.

This is terrible advice if your going to the Ref. If you've got a ref that's hard nosed enough to notice your DP isn't stock then trying to prove him wrong by providing a phony CARB number will only make things worse. If/when he/she runs the number and finds out that it's for something else you'll only end up in more hot water.

DJMic0
10-18-2007, 10:22 PM
well, good luck... but come back and tell us about your experience to help us clear the fog so we really know what is going on. Wow, this is so like mythbuster but NCE style.

DoggDicker
10-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Your best bet is to go back to stock, is it a PITA yes, but at least the ref can't say "you got a CARB sticka for that _____(fill in that part that you didn't change here)?
I guess the question is...Do you feel lucky...well do ya???
G/l dude...

DD

EuGeNiLe
10-20-2007, 10:42 AM
There is a general rule of thumb when you get smacked a state ref appointment, go back to stock or stay home. Most of these places ARE hard nosed nazi style attitude. That is why all of us with modded cars dread getting pulled over and getting sent to the state ref.

If you have a lot of mods, taking time off to put it back to stock, depending on how much mods, its just not worth the effort, esp. for those of us who actually work on our own cars :) you get lazy

good luck

slimdatwelve209
10-20-2007, 11:11 AM
you can always pay the full fine if you dont wanna bother with the state ref...
if u have the money

R-Ev0LuTi0N
10-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Ok guys heres the deal...I passed the test, but before I went to the state ref, heres what I did...I removed my test pipe and put the stock cat on, left the downpipe, and my exhaust as is. went to the ref and failed at 103 db. SO he told me to just put a silencer on and so I did and passed with 91.4 db.

DJMic0
10-22-2007, 01:59 PM
good stuff..

EuGeNiLe
10-24-2007, 12:34 AM
^^ Wow I want to know what state ref you went to that wasn't so bitchy about a full turboback and even recommending putting on your silencer.

DoggDicker
10-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Awesome...congrats on getting that hassle out of the way...

DD

Sfkn2
10-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Grats!

mr-evo81
10-24-2007, 10:34 AM
thats killer news. another issue with pigs outa the way. i cant stand those damn oinker puercos.

megatron
10-24-2007, 06:12 PM
okay one more question because I'm going to do the legit thing this time and visit the state ref. did they check underneath the hood? because I know the last time I went they did because I got slapped with both a modified exhaust AND intake violation. I'm worried that my stock air box won't clear my aftermarket intercooler pipes and I really don't want to put my stock I/C pipes back on. but otherwise I went back to complete stock exhaust and I must admit that I'm really enjoying the quietness. I don't have to worry about jack shit now that my stock exhaust is so quiet, and I actually get to mash down the streets now without being heard.

megatron
10-24-2007, 06:15 PM
And in response to the original topic of this thread, the state ref will NOT get on there knees and check underneath the car. You should be able to pass with the downpipe, unless you do fail the sound check or smog. Otherwise they will definitely not see or even notice your downpipe.

stockEVO8
10-24-2007, 06:15 PM
okay one more question because I'm going to do the legit thing this time and visit the state ref. did they check underneath the hood? because I know the last time I went they did because I got slapped with both a modified exhaust AND intake violation. I'm worried that my stock air box won't clear my aftermarket intercooler pipes and I really don't want to put my stock I/C pipes back on. but otherwise I went back to complete stock exhaust and I must admit that I'm really enjoying the quietness. I don't have to worry about jack shit now that my stock exhaust is so quiet, and I actually get to mash down the streets now without being heard.

they check for everything and if its not stock it needs to have a carb #

JDMgrafiteMR
10-25-2007, 09:40 AM
i just got my stock cat and exhaust back on...i have to admit its super quiet...
but the bolt on the cat was rusted so only one bolt would screw on the other one doesnt. i can hear my exhaust sound come out of my exhaust and some noise coming out the gasket of my cat. you think they will notice?

Positron
10-25-2007, 09:47 AM
They are gonna notice yes.

JDMgrafiteMR
10-25-2007, 11:01 AM
great! :x :x :x :x :x :xgotta go find some way to get it to go on and oh yea my 2nd o2 sensor isnt connected to the pipe so exhaust is also coming out of that hole

Positron
10-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah, get those issues fixed before you go to State Ref. Are you going to the one at Evergreen college? they are assholes. They make up BS excuses like car to low or almost closing time to make you come back and make another appointment.

JDMgrafiteMR
10-25-2007, 02:37 PM
hmmm... i never really had any trouble at evergreen. i been there 3 times already. i mean the guy is a geek and has a bad sense of humor but other then that he seems to be ok most time. hahaha he also seems clueless about cars too.