PDA

View Full Version : K&N drop-in filter

warpspeed
01-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Hello guys. I just got my ImportTuner mag. and it had a section of tuning the Evo. There was on part that kinda got me thinking. It was the filter. well to sum it up, they said that they loss power when they put in the filter and recommended to tweak the ecu which was the way to go on the Evo. After reading it I did noticed a little loss but the one that got me was my mileage. After putting the filter, my mileage went downhill but then when I put back the stock filter, the car ran better and my mileage is back up. Has anyone outhere had the same situation? :D

JanSolo
01-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Hmm.. well everyone's favorite guy Dynoflash/Al/Evoitis1 said they are good. Maybe we should ask Shiv and see what his final verdict is on them.

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 07:44 PM
how come it posted twice and now i can't delete it?

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Hello guys. I just got my ImportTuner mag. and it had a section of tuning the Evo. There was on part that kinda got me thinking. It was the filter. well to sum it up, they said that they loss power when they put in the filter and recommended to tweak the ecu which was the way to go on the Evo. After reading it I did noticed a little loss but the one that got me was my mileage. After putting the filter, my mileage went downhill but then when I put back the stock filter, the car ran better and my mileage is back up. Has anyone outhere had the same situation? :D

well, i think i lost about 5-7 on the low end and gained back about 2-3 hp on the high end lolz..

absolute crap...i heard the performance on the HKS and K&N drop in filters are identical...bah

evo_dadi
01-13-2004, 08:14 PM
i noticed that with my gas consumption :( i might put my stock filter for now also.i guess the drop in really opens the stock airbox's airflow so its running too rich.

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 08:48 PM
i noticed that with my gas consumption :( i might put my stock filter for now also.i guess the drop in really opens the stock airbox's airflow so its running too rich.

prolly, so does this mean getting the xflash will correct this problem? hehe

nebolic
01-13-2004, 10:15 PM
i dont know what the mags are talking about but i've been getting a little better mileage and i feel the car run better with my k&n panel, btw thats the only mod i have. and i've compared the two. in stock trim i would get around 220 max before i had to fill up (empty light on) and with the k&n panel, i'm getting ~240 miles before empty light turns on. I know its not a very good benchmark comparison, but thats what i've been getting. Also I have not change the way i drive. I boost and step on it liberally before and after the drop in panel. I think that reading on too much articles and not trying it for yourself you might lose out. given the fact that every evo off the showroom floor varies due to production... it might be that they tested on one evo that was bad? not sure. and the stupdiest way i can look at is that since our car runs rich from factory, using a high flow panel filter would give it more air, thus making it run leaner... so better performing, in any case that analogy is not any scientific data but just the stupidest way i can look at it.

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 11:54 PM
Hmm.. well everyone's favorite guy Dynoflash/Al/Evoitis1 said they are good. Maybe we should ask Shiv and see what his final verdict is on them.

lolz...they guy with multiple personalities?

JanSolo
01-14-2004, 12:13 AM

lolz...they guy with multiple personalities?

Yeah! One of his personalities is all over EvolutionForums now.

howiEVO8
01-14-2004, 12:59 AM
oh hey lookie i had a typo bah...mean to say with the instead with they errrr....

anywho...i've heard a lot of bad things about that guy...but its a good thing he got exposed and caught cuz I as a consumer wouldn't wanna get fux0red by crooks like that...hehe

chris
01-14-2004, 04:47 PM
just put in my KN drop in yesterday. not bad i felt little performance. ima see if i can get more mpg. usually at 220 when the light goes on. but i try to not hit boost a lot. see if i can beat my record. i don't feel any lost or anything but maybe mpg? or is it cuz i become lead foot sometimes? ill let you guys know about that later

howiEVO8
01-14-2004, 08:21 PM
220 seems about right, but then again im surprised i even get that...cuz i like to let loose on the full open throttle...hehe

BluEvo
01-27-2004, 02:02 PM
warpspeed,

did your k&n filter sound any different that the stock? just curious?

T

warpspeed
01-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Can't really tell about the sound because it's just a drop in filter. Also my RMR exhaust doesn't help any. Like I said before when I read the new Import Tuner Mag. that they lost a little power by putting a filter. So I am planning on getting all the bolt ons I want on the car and have Shiv Xflash my ecu.

Noel

howiEVO8
01-27-2004, 03:56 PM
warpspeed,

did your k&n filter sound any different that the stock? just curious?

T

well i've got the HKS high flow drop in and yes, you can hear the spool...its a lil bit more noticeable.

BluEvo
01-27-2004, 04:13 PM
thanks for the input.