PDA

View Full Version : Test drove the Evo X...

ZK
05-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I test drove it last weekend. Here's my opinion on the Evo X from an Evo 8 owner. I was only able to drive it a short distance so I wasn't really able to push it on any corners. I did get to go on a highway on-ramp though. So I won't comment on the handling/performance.

The power comes on lower about 2K rpm the boost builds and it starts pulling. Power dies about 5K rpm and it just revs and doesn't go anywhere. Power feels about the same as the older Evos. Nothing has changed much besides the more progressive powerband. The engine sounded like a sewing machine and it was the loudest thing in the car - I am not really impressed. The ride is pretty compliant - softer than the Evo 8's stock suspension.

The interior needs some help! Instead of the cheap silver colored plastic and some shiny black stuff - put in some nice stuff. Consumers aren't stupid - just because it has navigation and climate control doesn't make it nice. The DESIGN of everything is a little better but build quality is still similar. I drove over a rumble strip and the dash rattled - come on, they can do better than that. The seating position is awkward too. No matter how I adjusted it, the steering wheel felt too far away, my knees hit the steering column with the wheel tilted all the way up and the seats felt too far away from the dash even fully upright. Maybe I need to adjust the way I sit in the car.

The car has a lot of potential and it is a good deal... It is a better daily driver than the previous Evo. The new "refinement" is in all the gadgets (navi, keyless entry/start, climate control, LED readout screen etc) they've added - not in material or build quality. I doubt any normal (non-enthusiast) consumer is going to buy the car because it just feels cheap. I am still considering it but where I was certain it was a better car - now I question whether it is worth the extra cost. I don't feel it is a better car than the older Evos. If I get it - it would be because I like the style because the content is the same.

nebolic
05-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I test drove it last weekend. Here's my opinion on the Evo X from an Evo 8 owner. I was only able to drive it a short distance so I wasn't really able to push it on any corners. I did get to go on a highway on-ramp though. So I won't comment on the handling/performance.

The power comes on lower about 2K rpm the boost builds and it starts pulling. Power dies about 5K rpm and it just revs and doesn't go anywhere. Power feels about the same as the older Evos. Nothing has changed much besides the more progressive powerband. The engine sounded like a sewing machine and it was the loudest thing in the car - I am not really impressed. The ride is pretty compliant - softer than the Evo 8's stock suspension.

The interior needs some help! Instead of the cheap silver colored plastic and some shiny black stuff - put in some nice stuff. Consumers aren't stupid - just because it has navigation and climate control doesn't make it nice. The DESIGN of everything is a little better but build quality is still similar. I drove over a rumble strip and the dash rattled - come on, they can do better than that. The seating position is awkward too. No matter how I adjusted it, the steering wheel felt too far away, my knees hit the steering column with the wheel tilted all the way up and the seats felt too far away from the dash even fully upright. Maybe I need to adjust the way I sit in the car.

The car has a lot of potential and it is a good deal... It is a better daily driver than the previous Evo. The new "refinement" is in all the gadgets (navi, keyless entry/start, climate control, LED readout screen etc) they've added - not in material or build quality. I doubt any normal (non-enthusiast) consumer is going to buy the car because it just feels cheap. I am still considering it but where I was certain it was a better car - now I question whether it is worth the extra cost. I don't feel it is a better car than the older Evos. If I get it - it would be because I like the style because the content is the same.

you should test it going on a freeway on-ramp or something to kick the SAWC in. When I'm in town, take my X for a hard spin and you can tell the difference.

but yes agree that it is more palatable as a daily driver.

nebo

awdaddict
05-16-2008, 02:15 PM
rumble strip..
if you went to Serramonte Mitsu, that means you either exited at Mission or you went up to Hwy35 via Hwy1.

I don't think the X strikes me. :|

DirectorSe7en
05-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I think what you listed are mostly issues that can be fixed in the next years installment. The '09 X should get some minor fixes here and there for things like dash rattle, etc....

But as for interior, well, if Mitsu re-released the X after 2 years of R&D and a history of bitching about the interior, and still made it cheap, I don't think it'll ever change. :?

The MR's Leather+Suede and Sound Deadening is the closest you'll get to luxury in an X IMO.

ZK
05-16-2008, 02:50 PM
rumble strip..
if you went to Serramonte Mitsu, that means you either exited at Mission or you went up to Hwy35 via Hwy1.

I don't think the X strikes me. :|

It was right outside the dealership, you go down the road outside Serramonte Mitsubishi to the right headed down the hill towards Kohls. One of those strips with a bunch of the lane marker-like things.

But as for interior, well, if Mitsu re-released the X after 2 years of R&D and a history of bitching about the interior, and still made it cheap, I don't think it'll ever change. :?

The MR's Leather+Suede and Sound Deadening is the closest you'll get to luxury in an X IMO.

I'm not looking for luxury - I was hoping it was better than say a Honda Civic or Corolla... and it isn't. Overall I think the car is "okay", it just didn't "wow" me. If you're looking for an Evo, it is still an Evo... but if you have an Evo and looking for someting a little different - it isn't.

Unowned
05-16-2008, 02:59 PM
If you're looking for an Evo, it is still an Evo... but if you have an Evo and looking for someting a little different - it isn't.

You're absolutely correct, it's not different than an Evo. What is different it is clearly 10x safer than Evos of old with potential of power and handling of modified old Evos.

You still have to try the party peice which is really tossing it around hard like limits hard, so you can't count it out just yet.

the biggest thing that impresses me is the SAWC in very wet conditions. It's much more fun to drive in the Wet than my Evo 8.

steevo8
05-16-2008, 03:01 PM
will it still get extreamly sideways in the wet like the viii will?

smack
05-16-2008, 03:03 PM
i drove one a while back as well and the one thing i didn't like(personal preference) which unfortunately isn't that easy to correct is the steering rack rate.
the steering just felt too slow to me. i know some of that you can get back with bushings and such but the real problem is inherent in the rack itself.

i would be interested to drive one on the track though just to see how much all the electronic hand holding gets in the way. who knows maybe i would be pleasantly surprised. :)

nebolic
05-16-2008, 03:03 PM
AWD drift FTW

nebo

Unowned
05-16-2008, 03:04 PM
will it still get extreamly sideways in the wet like the viii will?

Turn off ASC and you can get it sideways yes. It will take longer than evos of old due to more fancy Awd aids, but it will get drifto counter steer action if that's what you want.

you should test it going on a freeway on-ramp or something to kick the SAWC in. When I'm in town, take my X for a hard spin and you can tell the difference.

but yes agree that it is more palatable as a daily driver.

nebo

Nebo why don't you rent a skid pad for us all just to play with your Evo X!

steevo8
05-16-2008, 03:10 PM
YES me like el drifto :D

ZK
05-16-2008, 03:16 PM
You still have to try the party peice which is really tossing it around hard like limits hard, so you can't count it out just yet.

the biggest thing that impresses me is the SAWC in very wet conditions. It's much more fun to drive in the Wet than my Evo 8.

Eh, that's something you can't really do on a new car test drive. I'd need to drive it on a track to do that...

awdaddict
05-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Isn't a skid pad is like $100 a day?

Sorry, that'll be per person.

I know Skidpad should be $1000 per day

Unowned
05-16-2008, 03:19 PM

Where is a local one we can hit up?

DirectorSe7en
05-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Eh, that's something you can't really do on a new car test drive. I'd need to drive it on a track to do that...

Just hand him a George Washington and tell him you'll "Be right back". 8)

awdaddict
05-16-2008, 03:21 PM

Sorry, that'll be per person.

I know Skidpad should be $1000 per day

LoL, self owned before edit could be made.

Um.. 500-1000 per day.
I know Drifty Pretty rent it out sometimes at Buttonwillow

steevo8
05-16-2008, 03:21 PM
?? $100 for a whole day? I doubt it but if it is I'm down to sponsor the event :D

awdaddict
05-16-2008, 03:27 PM
?? $100 for a whole day? I doubt it but if it is I'm down to sponsor the event :D

I missed 1 zero.

http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/track_rental_rates.htm

Skid Pad $500/day $500/day

Unowned
05-16-2008, 03:48 PM
that's not bad, nothing closer to rent out? heck even the De Anza parking lot would be fine

earlyapex aka jack ass
05-16-2008, 04:12 PM
"skid pad" at alameda base is free-thirty until you get kicked out. ;)

JDMevoBOOST
05-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Considering how much "refinement" the CT9A body style got from 2001-2006....i don't think you can expect later models to be any better in the fit&finish department......The 06 evo is just as rattly as an 03. It was a complaint for 3 years here in the US and they did nothing to fix it.

I think later generations of evos will follow suit....new wheels....new bumper....new accessories....new trim levels maybe....different performance features....but the one place mitsu is willing to skimp on is the interior and it shows.

awdaddict
05-16-2008, 04:48 PM

:lol:

really?
The only time I go near there is for the July 4th fireworks.

smack
05-16-2008, 05:11 PM

do they only kick you out if they catch you or do they actually right you some sort of ticket. isn't it still fed property?
usually they don't find the humor in stuff like that.

awdaddict
05-16-2008, 05:13 PM

do they only kick you out if they catch you or do they actually right you some sort of ticket. isn't it still fed property?
usually they don't find the humor in stuff like that.

seriously... I heard trespasser gets more years than murderer (recent yahoo news about ammo/metal scavenger)

steevo8
05-16-2008, 05:29 PM
I hit some wheelies there before and they just asked us to please leave. :?

earlyapex aka jack ass
05-16-2008, 06:38 PM
It's public property I believe. I used to do pulls there a bunch when I first moved to Alameda, only went on sundays.

Doing donuts might be a different story.

steevo8
05-16-2008, 07:35 PM
nce side shows woot woot!

dohcvtec
05-16-2008, 11:43 PM
I've taken my father in laws SRT-10 truck out there a few times with him. Good for some pulls. :D

Boostd4
05-18-2008, 01:35 PM
I think most present and past Evo 8/9 owners have the same reaction (and bias, because I know I did) to the X. The bottom line is that it's just the next "Evolution". ZK, I think you'll find that it is a different car when you get to beat it up a little...that's what ended up selling me. I'm not trying to sway you at all...just pointing out that you'll get the full experience when you take a hard turn.

Other than that...honestly it feels a lot like my 8. This whole issue of additional weight seems to be on the top of most people's list when considering the X. To me it feels very similar if not better than my stock 8. But...the amount of resistance and criticism that the X is getting is natural of any new model. I'm sure in 2 years this 8/9 vs. X thing will be well forgotten...just ask the RSX guys.

leaveit2bevo
05-18-2008, 01:53 PM
not to mention anyone who just dropped 32k on a car is going to naturally think its better.

Boostd4
05-18-2008, 11:58 PM
not to mention anyone who just dropped 32k on a car is going to naturally think its better.

Although this can and may be true, I didn't really add the things I missed about my 8, but it's a bit of a moot point.Â* I still get that feeling of "man that Evo is badass" when I see a nice 8 or 9.Â* I love both cars for different reasons and I'm actually planning to get another 8 or 9 once my financial situation allows me to do so.

Unowned
05-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Although this can and may be true, I didn't really add the things I missed about my 8, but it's a bit of a moot point. I still get that feeling of "man that Evo is badass" when I see a nice 8 or 9. I love both cars for different reasons and I'm actually planning to get another 8 or 9 once my financial situation allows me to do so.

Race Car only version?

SpeedElement
05-20-2008, 12:45 AM
buy my EVO ;)

Boostd4
05-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Although this can and may be true, I didn't really add the things I missed about my 8, but it's a bit of a moot point. I still get that feeling of "man that Evo is badass" when I see a nice 8 or 9. I love both cars for different reasons and I'm actually planning to get another 8 or 9 once my financial situation allows me to do so.

Race Car only version?

Yes sir, hopefully Cal will sell me his when I'm ready.

$$Wino$$
05-27-2008, 12:49 PM
I had an VIII, I bought an X. I'd agree that the VIII feels a little faster, but I haven't done the reflash yet....although I'd be surprised if the X ever felt faster than my VIII without some mods...The handling is definitely different...but I could see how people would like the VIII or IX better

DirectorSe7en
05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Stock for stock I'm sure it feels slower, but all you need is an exhaust and you'll be making more power then an VIII with a TBE+Tune. AMS already proved that. 8)

$$Wino$$
05-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah I'm not doubting I can make it faster than a stock VIII...obviously I like the X better or I'd still have my VIII

DirectorSe7en
05-27-2008, 01:43 PM
pwnt. :(

$$Wino$$
05-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Other thing I like better about the X...this might not apply to some of you but I'm pretty tall....The seat on the VIII doesn't quite go back far enough for me to be as comfortable as I can be in the X...my hip would get sore in the VIII if I drove it far enough...Not anymore

ZK
05-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Other thing I like better about the X...this might not apply to some of you but I'm pretty tall....The seat on the VIII doesn't quite go back far enough for me to be as comfortable as I can be in the X...my hip would get sore in the VIII if I drove it far enough...Not anymore

I felt the Evo X's steering wheel was a bit far away and the steering column had no adjustment. I almost feel I need a steering wheel spacer to push the wheel closer to feel in place on the seat.

superman37r1
05-28-2008, 10:57 AM
I felt the same way and I am short and already sit close to the steering wheel...

I felt the Evo X's steering wheel was a bit far away and the steering column had no adjustment. I almost feel I need a steering wheel spacer to push the wheel closer to feel in place on the seat.