PDA

View Full Version : Edmunds Tests the '09 Lancer Ralliart

DirectorSe7en
06-11-2008, 11:09 PM
They Could Have Called It an Evo
With all the Evolution-grade hardware on the 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, we doubt anyone would get angry if the company appended "Evo" to its name. More important, the Ralliart is a nicely resolved machine in its own right. It's not as polished as the Evo X, but you can have nearly as much fun with it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/08_mitsubishi_lancer_ralliart_act_f.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/08_mitsubishi_lancer_ralliart_eng_5.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/08_mitsubishi_lancer_ralliart_fint_.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/08_mitsubishi_lancer_ralliart_seats.jpg

The Ralliart is also more entertaining than just about any of its direct competitors. Even so, we suspect its impressive plate of technology could make it significantly more expensive than a comparably equipped WRX or Mazdaspeed 3. Given the $38K price tag on an Evo MR with the twin-clutch box, we wouldn't be surprised if the 2009 Lancer Ralliart ends up with a price tag near $30,000.

And that might mean that some of you will still be looking at used Evos......

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/08_mitsubishi_lancer_ralliart_r34_5.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/08_mitsubishi_lancer_ralliart_shift.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/08_mitsubishi_lancer_ralliart_ip_50.jpg

Read Full Review Here;
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=127026?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 #2

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-11-2008, 11:31 PM
30k?

why in the world...

steevo8
06-11-2008, 11:32 PM
30k?

why in the world...

Seriously!

DirectorSe7en
06-12-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm 100% positive that they wont MSRP at $30k. It'd either kill Evo GSR sales, or be suicide for the RA since only a few grand more gets you the full on Evo.

My guess is;

$26k Base
Â* Â*+$2,000 Nav & Tech package
Â* Â*+$2,000 Recaros & HID's Package

This way makes most sense to me. I think Edmunds meant with all the parts in there it's alot of value and worth $30k?

SouthernCrane
06-12-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm 100% positive that they wont MSRP at $30k. It'd either kill Evo GSR sales, or be suicide for the RA since only a few grand more gets you the full on Evo.

My guess is;

$26k Base
Â* Â*+$2,000 Nav & Tech package
Â* Â*+$2,000 Recaros & HID's Package

This way makes most sense to me. I think Edmunds meant with all the parts in there it's alot of value and worth $30k?

yeah, that seems more reasonable........and if it was 26K a hell of bargain still IMO.

i would get the plain jane ralliart (no packages), throw on an evo intercooler, have GST or SpeedElement tune the hell out of it, coilovers/swaybar, and new shoes, and be done with it..............or just keep my 03 :-)

superfleajq
06-12-2008, 09:49 AM
even for 26k, I would think most enthusiasts would be looking to purchasing available Evo VIIIs and IXs, since used ones would be that amount or less once the RA hits.

Nice to know that the engine in the RA is the exact same as the Evo X though. Man, what potential! Think of all the Evo X guys dumping their turbos to upgrade, then the RA guys will swoop up the X turbos for cheap ;)

06-12-2008, 11:06 AM
aint 26k for this RA cost more then regular WRX or MS3? any one will rock a EVO9 at 26k then this detune evoX.

leaveit2bevo
06-12-2008, 01:01 PM
aint 26k for this RA cost more then regular WRX or MS3? any one will rock a EVO9 at 26k then this detune evoX.

ya I agree I see used evo sales killing the RA sales, except for people who just dont know any better and want a new car.

dabaysevo
06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
^There will be that type of person. Some people just don't like used cars, because of unknown abuse. My parents are those type of people.

JDMevoBOOST
06-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Same here I dont really mess with any used performance car.....

nebolic
06-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Same here I dont really mess with any used performance car.....

+1

nebo

DirectorSe7en
06-13-2008, 02:06 PM
I think this is more geared towards Lancer owners who want Evo's but can't quite afford it.

The reason I say that is because on Lancer Forums all the rage is wanting an Evo, and the 1 car they always mention is the '09 Ralliart. It's cheaper then an Evo, just a little more then their Lancer and they get a factory turbo.

I think these are going to fly off the shelves if MSRP is around $25-26k, or if it doesn't pass $30k fully loaded.

Unowned
06-13-2008, 07:51 PM
nice, can't wait to see the first person to rebadge it as an Evo

dl_EVO
06-14-2008, 05:57 PM
In a couple of years after the RA drops in price, I see many teenagers buying them. This means that you should see EVO X's getting stolen and stripped more and more.

Not only RA owners are you going to have to worry about, but SRT4 Caliber and any other car that gets the 4B11T

bricel24
06-14-2008, 06:07 PM
interesting review, though the 30k price tag kills it, if ever it's true

dl_EVO
06-14-2008, 06:10 PM
If it is $30K. I don't see a point in the car..

It's supposed to be a toned down EVO. But if it's only a couple of grand less, who the hell is going to want it.

nightwalker
06-14-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm excited about the evo IX drivetrain part. It makes me think that a 4B11 swap into a CT9A chassis would be do-able

uhoh_evo
06-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Even mentioning that the price tag might be around 30k discourages me. Thinking I'd have to be prepared to spend 30k for everything I want is whack. Should price it lower to really COMPETE w/ the subie and mazda.

Kinda reminds me of overly priced exotics for that price range. Yea, product A may have more but why get that when for much less you can get product B at a greater deal. If they want to increase sales they should competitively price it and go for "sell more at slightly less" than "sell less for slightly more". After the Lancer RA gets established as a tuner car can it raise the price.

DirectorSe7en
06-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Well said. How much are the new WRX's?

Matz
06-15-2008, 11:03 PM
^There will be that type of person. Some people just don't like used cars, because of unknown abuse. My parents are those type of people.

Or the fact that the RA will have way more amenities... I have wished for navi in my Evo, or bluetooth, or cruise control from time to time.

DirectorSe7en
06-15-2008, 11:20 PM
^ [ahem] Evo X [ahem]

AWDrift
06-16-2008, 02:08 AM
you could easily install a navi, cruise control, and find some way to make your car bluetooth compatible for wayyy cheaper than an X lol.

chrisw
06-16-2008, 07:46 AM
With the current low value of the dollar, I wouldn't be surprized at a $30k price tag

uhoh_evo
06-16-2008, 09:22 AM
D/k how much new WRX's goin for. Curious too

willitas34
06-17-2008, 01:02 AM
In a couple of years after the RA drops in price, I see many teenagers buying them. This means that you should see EVO X's getting stolen and stripped more and more.

Not only RA owners are you going to have to worry about, but SRT4 Caliber and any other car that gets the 4B11T

+1

Evo8urv8
06-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Well said. How much are the new WRX's?

D/k how much new WRX's goin for. Curious too

4 door = Starting @ $24,350
5 door = Starting @ $24,850

AWDrift
06-17-2008, 03:21 AM
^ the 4 door rex looks like a corolla S with a hood scoop. i absolutely love the hatch on the new imprezas :)

DirectorSe7en
06-17-2008, 09:15 AM
You thinking about making it your new car?

4 door = Starting @ $24,350
5 door = Starting @ $24,850

I'm pretty sure Mitsu will either beat or match that price with their MSRP. But they'll get you with the packages at $2k each.

JKav
06-21-2008, 05:01 PM
The 30k price is a guesstimate. The actual base price is a bit lower.

DirectorSe7en
06-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Obviously.

Base will be around $25k, and $30k should be fully loaded. At least that makes most sense.

uhoh_evo
06-21-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't like how they have the items packaged out. They did a clever job at makin me want some of each package.

JKav
06-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Base will be right at (or right near) 27k

DirectorSe7en
06-21-2008, 07:00 PM
^How would that make sense.

$27k base
$2,000 for Nav+Tech
$2,000 for Recaros, HID's, SIRIUS

That's $31 not including tax. At that point, why not consider a GSR?

xbox4414
06-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Because it has the SST. In most cars that has an automatic transmission as an option the transmission is $2k more. So figure if it did come in a 5sp it would be around $25k. So you are paying for that SST....What if I couldn't afford a MR but wanted Mitsu AWD with an automatic tranny?

DirectorSe7en
06-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Trust me, the more you call it an Automatic the more you dilute your mind as to how incredible this tranny is. Take an MR for a spin and then I'll hear your opinions on what it is or isnt.

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Trust me, the more you call it an Automatic the more you dilute your mind as to how incredible this tranny is. Take an MR for a spin and then I'll hear your opinions on what it is or isnt.

Have you driven one yet?

DirectorSe7en
06-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Actually yes, drove the MR yesterday.

I can't explain how amazing it is. It's an Automatic in the sense that you aren't shifting, but that's where calling it Auto ends. The MR downshifts and up-shifts perfectly on cue when either speeding up or slowing down. It's incredibly responsive, and has NO detectable delay.

I can never quite put words together to explain it, but only the ignorant would equate it's sophistication as a mere Automatic tranny. I think everyone should take it for a spin before passing judgement.

To me, this alone takes Mitsu out of it's shithole. This might be the best product they've ever put out. I guess the only issue left is how long they last, and how well the SST hold to mods.

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Yea I keep hearing great things about it.

I'm anxious to try one out. :)

Ben
06-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Actually yes, drove the MR yesterday.

I can't explain how amazing it is. It's an Automatic in the sense that you aren't shifting, but that's where calling it Auto ends. The MR downshifts and up-shifts perfectly on cue when either speeding up or slowing down. It's incredibly responsive, and has NO detectable delay.

I can never quite put words together to explain it, but only the ignorant would equate it's sophistication as a mere Automatic tranny. I think everyone should take it for a spin before passing judgement.

To me, this alone takes Mitsu out of it's shithole. This might be the best product they've ever put out. I guess the only issue left is how long they last, and how well the SST hold to mods.

So it's an automatic? If the tranny is shifting for you then I'm pretty sure it's called an automatic. Maybe I'll take one for a test drive sometime but seriously if you aren't controlling what gear you are in then it's an auto.

DirectorSe7en
06-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Ben you missed the point. What makes an Automatic an Automatic? Because you (Ben) aren't shifting? But the car still is.

The proper name for the tranmission is an automated-manual. It is a manual transmission without a clutch pedal. The shiting is controlled via computer which can come via the steering-column mounted paddles, center console mounted shifter or the software program when in "automatic" mode but it is still every bit a manual. What seperates a manual from an automatic tranmssion?? A torque converter, which this transmission does not have.

I'm anxious to try one out.

I'll bring mine around your parts one day soon and you can check it out.

Ben
06-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Ben you missed the point. What makes an Automatic an Automatic? Because you (Ben) aren't shifting? But the car still is.

The proper name for the tranmission is an automated-manual. It is a manual transmission without a clutch pedal. The shiting is controlled via computer which can come via the steering-column mounted paddles, center console mounted shifter or the software program when in "automatic" mode but it is still every bit a manual. What seperates a manual from an automatic tranmssion?? A torque converter, which this transmission does not have.

I'm anxious to try one out.

I'll bring mine around your parts one day soon and you can check it out.

So it's just the torque converter that makes it a automatic? The fact that it automatically shifts doesn't make it an automatic? If you aren't manually shifting than you aren't driving a manual.

DirectorSe7en
06-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I think your trying to fit a new type of Tranny in with the old classes. I'm saying it's not an Automatic, your saying it's not a Manual.

I think we're both right. It's neither. It's a new breed. Something of it's own class.

AreSTG
06-22-2008, 11:41 PM

I'm anxious to try one out. :)

if it's as good as a DSG it'll be really good. If it's better than it'll be really fucking awsome.

Which makes me wonder, D7, have you seen any performance comparisons between the SST and DSG. If obviously seen them say it's the same trype of technology in general, but i want some stats. DSG is awsome, but i see the one i have as it being new awsome technology in it's infancy.

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-23-2008, 12:00 AM
I drove a car with DSG and wondered what all the hype was about. Yawn.

From the reviews so far it sounds like SST is better, we'll see..

xbox4414
06-23-2008, 12:06 AM
See this is exactly why the Ralliart is so expensive...if a regular auto has an added price to a car of like $2g's then what is the added value of the SST alone? I'm sure base with a 5sp would be a lot lower. You really are getting what you pay for and if you keep saying the SST is so great then why get the GSR 5spd?

DirectorSe7en
06-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Who are you talking to? I didnt get a GSR... :?

xbox4414
06-23-2008, 12:56 AM
OMG you said why not get a GSR if the Ralliart is $31k fully loaded. I said becuase that SST is probably worth $3g's alone. Ant those not wanting a manual should opt for the Ralliart if they can't afford the MR...And you proved that point by holding the SST up on a stick saying it's no "plain automatic" so that's why you shouldn't get a GSR over a fully loaded Ralliart right? You proved my point for me but tried to disagree?

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-23-2008, 12:58 AM
I said becuase that SST is probably worth $3g's alone.

Try 6k. ;)

5spd trans is 3k, SST is 9k. Plus I am sure there are more do-dads you also need with the SST.

xbox4414
06-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Shit....so now that explains why....the Ralliart has a kick ass tranny....and D7 although u fully support the SST u are wondering why ppl don't get the GSR instead? LOL.

DirectorSe7en
06-23-2008, 09:22 AM
No. If someone had $30k and could spend it on a real Evo, or a baby version. Which do you think they would choose? The real Evo obviously. You get why I said "why not get the GSR"?

You proved my point for me but tried to disagree?

Please, don't assume I tried to disagree, I didn't understand what you meant. Anyway, If someone cannot afford an Evo, and wants more then a Lancer, then the Ralliart is the perfect choice. But if the Ralliart starts to chew into the $30k range then someone with that kind of money might start to say "Hmmm, only $3k more and I can get a real Evo".

Sure the tranny is more sophisticated in the Ralliart, but whether it's better or not varies from person to person.