PDA

View Full Version : Why police officers ask you to pop the hood *police officers perspective*

nebolic
06-20-2008, 12:10 PM
courtesy of skiracer from socalevo.net

good read.

discuss

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73003

nebo

toasty
06-20-2008, 12:27 PM
All I can see from this is:

2804. A member of the California Highway Patrol upon reasonable
belief that any vehicle is being operated in violation of any
provisions of this code or is in such unsafe condition as to endanger
any person, may require the driver of the vehicle to stop and submit
to an inspection of the vehicle, and its equipment, license plates,
and registration card.

2806. Any regularly employed and salaried police officer or deputy
sheriff, or any reserve police officer or reserve deputy sheriff
listed in Section 830.6 of the Penal Code, having reasonable cause to
believe that any vehicle or combination of vehicles is not equipped
as required by this code or is in any unsafe condition as to endanger
any person, may require the driver to stop and submit the vehicle or
combination of vehicles to an inspection and those tests as may be
appropriate to determine the safety to persons and compliance with
the code.

"Unsafe condition" WTF is "Unsafe condition" to a cop driving by and looking.
unless a cop pulls you over for seeing an orange glow under the hood that you are unaware of, then that is good.
But popping the hood just to check if it is modded, WHY NOT GO HOODLESS and WINGLESS !!!

Blah Blah, Blah,....

awdaddict
06-20-2008, 12:42 PM
The whole message is...
we'll pull over whoever we think is illegal modifying their car.
Doesn't matter what the probable cause is.
^
they forgot to mention if you are asian or look like in their 20s/30s that will just guarantee a pull over, DWA.

The underlining theme is...
if you don't like it. Get another car.

No surprise here.

evo8dustu
06-20-2008, 12:48 PM
lol damn that is one pissed evo owner

nebolic
06-20-2008, 12:51 PM
lol damn that is one pissed evo owner

it's one of ours. or to be more correct, one of the folks in socal.

nebo

DirectorSe7en
06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Read the policemans repsonses; :lol:

"If speed is in your blood, try buying a "sleeper" vehicle - such as V6 Maxima or even an Accord or Camry."

"That's not the "bone stock" Lancer Evo. For example, in the first picture I can see a small antenna on the roof . Those small, compact antenna's are seen more on go-fast cars."

turbotiger
06-20-2008, 01:38 PM
"I'm the LEO, and I'm always right"
That's the attitude they always try to impress on the public, especially if you've being pulled over. If you ever say they're wrong, they get pissed off.

player67
06-20-2008, 01:48 PM
I want a STREET RACER PACKAGE on my evo :(

bdking57
06-20-2008, 01:49 PM
They ask me to pop the hood ....and then they are like "damn those are some sick long tube headers! can you rev it for me? thats about 115db right? oh swell, no front plate too!"

I think it mostly comes down to attitude, if he comes to the window and your already tense because you feel there is going to be some sort of issue, then hes just going to pursue that and start busting your balls. Has anyone ever been asked to pop their hood while wearing a suit and tie? probably not.

ob4
06-20-2008, 01:56 PM
i feel sad to see that some of the guys call themselves as law enforcement officer.... sounds like they are eforcing the law as they interpered. :(

DirectorSe7en
06-20-2008, 02:03 PM
sounds like they are eforcing the law as they interpered.

One cop literally posted that, that is exactly what they do.

awdaddict
06-20-2008, 02:14 PM
They ask me to pop the hood ....and then they are like "damn those are some sick long tube headers! can you rev it for me? thats about 115db right? oh swell, no front plate too!"

I think it mostly comes down to attitude, if he comes to the window and your already tense because you feel there is going to be some sort of issue, then hes just going to pursue that and start busting your balls. Has anyone ever been asked to pop their hood while wearing a suit and tie? probably not.

Um, are you Asian? Are you driving an import?
right...

Lurk
06-20-2008, 02:58 PM
I got pulled over by a cop for speeding once. Turns out he just wanted to check out the car and shoot the shit for a couple mins. I got off with no ticket or anything.

Granted, I wasn't driving the EVO at the time. ;)

mtsevovii
06-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Read the policemans repsonses; :lol:

"If speed is in your blood, try buying a "sleeper" vehicle - such as V6 Maxima or even an Accord or Camry."

"That's not the "bone stock" Lancer Evo. For example, in the first picture I can see a small antenna on the roof . Those small, compact antenna's are seen more on go-fast cars."

time to switch back to stock antenna :lol:

peter
06-20-2008, 03:48 PM
yup, that's one probable cause that'll get ya.

"you know why i pulled you over? you got that shorty antenna. you must be a racer"

whtrice
06-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Time to buy american iron. Load up a vette with loud pipes and a TT. I wanna get pulled over just so
the cop can BS with me for a few mins. Probably as he is BSin he will notice a EVO go by, " Excuse me sir....Gotta go catch me a ricer!...See ya!"

spnsprt
06-21-2008, 04:01 AM
what pisses me off is the double standards that do come with the profiling. I've never seen one of those fucks with a loud ass harley being pulled over for the 400+db those things put out. I never see benzes or ferrari's being pulled over for not having a front liscence plate. Honestly as far as the diff between searches and inspections that's basically legal semantics that give excuses for violations of our civil liberties.

I am going to go to law school. I am going to become a lawyer. And when I'm a lawyer and when I get pulled over it will be such a can of worms to deal with me because I am smart, and can be well spoken, i will be too much of a hassle to deal with.

That thread pissed me off because the cops attitudes are just we're right, that's what matters, deal with it.

DirectorSe7en
06-21-2008, 10:59 AM
^Your doing it the right way too. Educating yourself. If more of us knew the basic laws, we probably would be in a better position to deal with Cops who B.S. about what were "violating".

lncrevoviii
06-23-2008, 09:46 AM
see what Dom Toretto started. SOB. Him and his RX7.... DIAF God damn it.

dsmdeliverybo
06-24-2008, 09:17 AM
see what Dom Toretto started. SOB. Him and his RX7.... DIAF God damn it.

Hahahaha

ZK
06-24-2008, 09:31 AM
right...

The worst ones are the Asian cops. They'll pull you over and pop you for everything.

JDMevoBOOST
06-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Ehhhh.....My car fits the profile, but I just drive like a normal human being and dress like a normal human being and they leave me alone.

It seems to be the ghetto gang banger wannabe types that would get rolled on. And it's not because of the car...it's because they look shady.

awdaddict
06-24-2008, 11:46 AM
right...

The worst ones are the Asian cops. They'll pull you over and pop you for everything.

+1
I got tagged by a Asian cop on a bike at Geary.

He kept saying "I've been watching you... you should have known"

^
Am I suppose to keep an eye for his godly presents when I'm on the road? :?

ZK
06-24-2008, 12:02 PM
right...

+1
I got tagged by a Asian cop on a bike at Geary.

He kept saying "I've been watching you... you should have known"

^
Am I suppose to keep an eye for his godly presents when I'm on the road? :?

WTF? lol

I dunno, I guess they feel it's their duty to crack down on modified cars driven by other Asian people. Maybe it justifies themselves in their own eyes.

Most of these guys have a hatred of modified import cars having grown up around them and having friends/family with them. They don't want to be stereotyped with "typical" Asians.

JERRY
06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I got pulled over in Fremont by an asian cop once. He was HELLA serious when he walked up to the car. I just got laid, so I was still giddy. When he asked for my DL and proof of insurance, he was like "Are you XXXXXX's son?" "Yes, I am..." The he starts telling me about how his mom play's majong with my mom, and how he was supposed to call me about problems heÂ* was having with his car. I guess his mom told him I worked at a car shop. Next thing you know, I've been sitting there for about 30 minutes, chatting with him... and the girl I was seeing at the time drives by. That dumbass STOPS and rolls down the window, yells "Jerry, do you need a ride? Are they taking your car?" and I thought to myself "oh shit, this guy is still wirtting me a ticket"... But I still got off, he told me to slow down, and get a different exhaust, and that was about it.

I tlaked to him about this stuff later, and he told me that they did have classes on modified cars... but only for certain officers. They are trained to look for larger exhausts, have a general idea of what a BOV and turbo is, but if they have no actual car knowledge, it's all greek to them. They just pull your ass over and write you up for whatever and let the judge deal with you.

Jerry

awdaddict
06-24-2008, 12:53 PM
"Jerry, do you need a ride? Are they taking your car?"

:lol: rofl.

JERRY
06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
"Jerry, do you need a ride? Are they taking your car?"

:lol: rofl.

some girls just have absoluetely no common sense

JDMevoBOOST
06-24-2008, 01:06 PM
BAHAHA.....I got pulled over once for the plate....had a greddy ti on at the time and the guy didnt care. I think if you act like you are trying your best to be cooperative, things usually go in your favor. However, if you start acting like a smart ass (cop's pet peeve) then they will do whatever it is they can to inconvenience you just because they can.

Don't be so confrontational and you might be surprised at how they treat you.

awdaddict
06-24-2008, 01:10 PM
BAHAHA.....I got pulled over once for the plate....had a greddy ti on at the time and the guy didnt care. I think if you act like you are trying your best to be cooperative, things usually go in your favor. However, if you start acting like a smart ass (cop's pet peeve) then they will do whatever it is they can to inconvenience you just because they can.

true.

Got pulled over for speeding.
He didn't care about my Greddy Ti, or the roll bar.
I just received the ticket and drove off.

Fought the ticket thru Plead not guilty thru written declaration and won ;)

ZK
06-24-2008, 01:17 PM

true.

Got pulled over for speeding.
He didn't care about my Greddy Ti, or the roll bar.
I just received the ticket and drove off.

Fought the ticket thru Plead not guilty thru written declaration and won ;)

What did you write? What was the citation?

awdaddict
06-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Speeding.

I guess to clarify is that my case was dismissed.
So I assume that the case got thrown out. Most likely because the cop did not fill his paper work.

The summary for the letter is to challenge the calibration of his radar/laser gun since he said he got me going ## MPH in this ## MPH zone.
Also use ticketassassin's strategy to challenge the Basic Speed Law.
e.g. condition of the road/weather and the speed limit posted of the road.

nightwalker
06-25-2008, 10:22 AM
I love the poleece. They are my friends. We sing songs and hold hands.

TougeGod7
06-25-2008, 01:13 PM
yup, that's one probable cause that'll get ya.

"you know why i pulled you over? you got that shorty antenna. you must be a racer"

HAHAHAHAHAHA :D

JERRY
06-25-2008, 05:23 PM
A cop's interpritation of the law is all based on personal standards. I remember I got pulled over once for having a Greddy license plate frame, and the cop said "that only comes with parts to illegally modify your car." The funny thing was, I was driving a Honda Oddessy that was completely stock and put it on my friend's mom's van as a joke. As with group of people in the world, there's gotta be at least one idiot.

Jerry

awdaddict
06-26-2008, 01:24 PM
A cop's interpritation of the law is all based on personal standards. I remember I got pulled over once for having a Greddy license plate frame, and the cop said "that only comes with parts to illegally modify your car." The funny thing was, I was driving a Honda Oddessy that was completely stock and put it on my friend's mom's van as a joke. As with group of people in the world, there's gotta be at least one idiot.

Jerry

Cool... where can I get those license plates, Jerry?
I want to put it on my friend's Honduh! N Acuras :lol:

JERRY
06-26-2008, 01:37 PM

Jerry

Cool... where can I get those license plates, Jerry?
I want to put it on my friend's Honduh! N Acuras :lol:

Rob, I happen to have one Greddy one here if you want it... hahahaha

Jerry

ZK
06-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Speeding.

So I assume that the case got thrown out. Most likely because the cop did not fill his paper work.

The summary for the letter is to challenge the calibration of his radar/laser gun since he said he got me going ## MPH in this ## MPH zone.

I have to write a ticket but he got me on lidar with me going a certain mph. He even showed me the reading on his gun. Also, it is a ticket for violating the "maximum speed law" - not a violation of the "basic speed law". I can't argue this.

Ticket Assasin is no help in this case. I have a cvc 22349(a). 65 mph is a MAX speed, not prima facie. Speed zone surveys dont apply for freeway speeds, only if the speed is lowered to less than the MAX speed for that given roadway. I think the only thing I can argue is his lidar calibration ... pretty weak argument.

Then again, I have not received anything in the mail yet and it's been 2 months... maybe he forgot to file it? :lol: I guess I still got to show up in court on the date on my ticket.

awdaddict
06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Speeding.

I have to write a ticket but he got me on lidar with me going a certain mph. He even showed me the reading on his gun. Also, it is a ticket for violating the "maximum speed law" - not a violation of the "basic speed law". I can't argue this.

Ticket Assasin is no help in this case. I have a cvc 22349(a). 65 mph is a MAX speed, not prima facie. Speed zone surveys dont apply for freeway speeds, only if the speed is lowered to less than the MAX speed for that given roadway. I think the only thing I can argue is his lidar calibration ... pretty weak argument.

Then again, I have not received anything in the mail yet and it's been 2 months... maybe he forgot to file it? :lol: I guess I still got to show up in court on the date on my ticket.

Phil, check the website. There should be a URL on the back of the ticket telling you that you can check for your violation online.

I think for me it showed up on the system 10days before the court deadline, but I was pretty sure that it's going to come thru. So I already prepared my statement and sent it out the day after I saw it on the system.
The courtesy notice came like within 5days of the court date.

I suggest you do the same. Have everything ready.
Btw, you can try to pay $25 and see if he has any advice for your particular violation.

JERRY
06-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Speeding.

Be careful, the notice in the mail is a courtesy, not manditory. I totally forgot about a ticket once, and ended up with a bench warrant. Once that happens, it's a pain in the ass to clear up.

Jerry

ZK
06-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Phil, check the website. There should be a URL on the back of the ticket telling you that you can check for your violation online.

I think for me it showed up on the system 10days before the court deadline, but I was pretty sure that it's going to come thru. So I already prepared my statement and sent it out the day after I saw it on the system.
The courtesy notice came like within 5days of the court date.

I suggest you do the same. Have everything ready.
Btw, you can try to pay $25 and see if he has any advice for your particular violation.

Yeah, I'll check the web site for the ticket. My statement will be pretty brief... I'll have to hope he doesn't write back. Otherwise I guess I can show up in court and hope he doesn't show.

ZK
06-26-2008, 02:15 PM
It pisses me off though, I'm minding my own business driving at 7am, almost no cars on the road Saturday on I-80 near Fairfield. Come over a crest on the highway and there he is with the gun pointed... I was right next to a mini-van going about the same speed. We both hit the brakes as we see him.Â* He decides to get me for 84 in a 65... everyone does 80mph on the 80!

awdaddict
06-27-2008, 12:54 AM
It pisses me off though, I'm minding my own business driving at 7am, almost no cars on the road Saturday on I-80 near Fairfield. Come over a crest on the highway and there he is with the gun pointed... I was right next to a mini-van going about the same speed. We both hit the brakes as we see him. He decides to get me for 84 in a 65... everyone does 80mph on the 80!

Make sure you extend your deadline, you can do it once or twice.

mtsevovii
06-27-2008, 03:07 PM
It pisses me off though, I'm minding my own business driving at 7am, almost no cars on the road Saturday on I-80 near Fairfield. Come over a crest on the highway and there he is with the gun pointed... I was right next to a mini-van going about the same speed. We both hit the brakes as we see him. He decides to get me for 84 in a 65... everyone does 80mph on the 80!

sux to hear...

ive been very luck all the times i was picked speeding. always let off with an actual nice chat... shocks me everytime !

mtsevovii
06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
if i ever bocome a cop, im going to pull over all the hot chicks. :lol:

"you know why i pulled you over?" "youre a distraction to other drivers" :lol:

ZK
06-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Make sure you extend your deadline, you can do it once or twice.

I wonder why the heck would he set the court date 3 months after the ticket issue date?

lncrevoviii
06-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Ehhhh.....My car fits the profile, but I just drive like a normal human being and dress like a normal human being and they leave me alone.

It seems to be the ghetto gang banger wannabe types that would get rolled on. And it's not because of the car...it's because they look shady.

I totally agree. Everybody on this forum that got pulled over were not dressed like a "normal" human being. They were straight up ghettoed out with their britches sagging down to the floor, spiky hair, RokaWear hooded sweatshirts, a rolled up doobie quivering between their lips and a .45 sticking out of their belt buckle.
Last time I was pulled over I was definitely not dressed up as a "normal" human being.
I was thugged out. The officer said that I was too thugged out to be driving on the street. Then I told him, "We ride or die, str8 west coast thuggin like real ninjas, sellin weed, represtin da Bay, slangin the yay. Thats how we do it officer. RIP Tupac."

He gave me a ticket. Damn!

Lurk
06-29-2008, 08:28 PM
^ :lol:

JDMevoBOOST
06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey you know what I mean man. I have a hard time believing that anyone that is dressed in work attire and not breaking the law is getting rolled on like the guy in the link is saying.

If your car is stock and you arent doing anything stupid and you get pulled over then I don't know, but it seems like if it's always happening and you are never doing anything wrong, then you must have pissed someone off.

I pass by at least two or three cops or CHP a week. Sometimes they hang out behind me for a second, but other than that they don't care about me.

However, if you are there in traffic trying to tail people and cutting lanes all aggressive then I can understand why you are getting pulled over. More than half of the evos I have seen on the street drive like a bunch of F&F dumb fucks. Trying to race in gridlock traffic. Trying to do the whole gas-letgo-gas to try and buck their car to tell me they want to race. Don't tell me you don't see these idiots. And if you are innocent than you are probably getting pulled over just by association, which sucks.

jesevo8
10-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey there new to this forem...So Hello all! Anyways from what I have noticed...there two types of plolice...chp ect...#1..They follow the "Spirit of the law" and #2 they follow the letter of the law...The first are usally cool...but the second...hmmm you have to just not get exicted...and be cool...its all up to you how you portray yourself with your ride...if the cops see or hear you buzzin around town then guess what...red and blue's in yor rearview :shock: Be responsable in your driving, keep the speed down in town and keep the rice to a minimum... 8)

ZK
10-09-2008, 04:44 PM
It pisses me off though, I'm minding my own business driving at 7am, almost no cars on the road Saturday on I-80 near Fairfield. Come over a crest on the highway and there he is with the gun pointed... I was right next to a mini-van going about the same speed. We both hit the brakes as we see him. He decides to get me for 84 in a 65... everyone does 80mph on the 80!

Wow, this thread got bumped...

To follow up... I went to my court date. Turns out this is the day you show up to enter your plea (guilty, not guilty etc.) So if i wanted to plea not guilty, I'd make an appointment and have to come back another day...

I didn't want to do that so I decided to go before the judge to make my plea. The clerk was annoyed that I didn't want to just pay the fine and take a point.. haha

So I go before the judge and I say I'll plea No Contest to the speeding charge. Judge says that is the same as pleaing guilty in this case... I say ok, I would like to ask the court for a fine reduction and take traffic school. I've been a good driver for many years and have not gotten a ticket, I've been driving for 14 years... Judge looks at the papers for a while and says, fine reduced, traffic school assigned. :) Sometimes it pays to show up!

warpspeed
10-09-2008, 08:51 PM
From what I notice from cops is that they will pull you over, not because you look "modified" but if they are in the mood to do so. Example, I was on 80 near the truck scale @ 4pm and saw a new Mustang coming up behind me all blacked out, and I mean all blacked out. Blacked out tail lights(illegal) full limo tint all over the car(illegal), loud exhaust(which I can hear over my loud stereo)(illegal) and a CHP behind him on the other lane with full view of the car. Did he pull him over...........nope.

Evo8urv8
10-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Be responsible in your driving, keep the speed down in town and keep the rice to a minimum... 8)

Oh ya? Well, what u gonna do and/or tell the cop when you're driving normal within the speed limit and still pulled u over for your no-rice-just-lowered-springs evo? Can't say it's irresponsible driving. :?

mtsevovii
10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
i saw this evo totally crazy looking, tailed by cops, cruising next to cops, and even passing them slowly. the cops never do anything. this evo was loud! no muffler no cat i bet. can hear and smell him. local cops and chp never bothered him about the noise or anything. all the times he has been pulled over he never encountered a rude cop. theyve always let him off with a smile. :huh:

i dont know, does anyone know of this evo or the owner? its blue and white with stickers everywhere.

:lol:

Sfkn2
10-10-2008, 07:52 AM
I've only been asked to pop the hood once on my Prelude in 2002. 6 years, a few tickets in between, but never asked to pop hood again. I guess I'm just lucky?

awdaddict
10-10-2008, 09:31 AM
i saw this evo totally crazy looking, tailed by cops, cruising next to cops, and even passing them slowly. the cops never do anything. this evo was loud! no muffler no cat i bet. can hear and smell him. local cops and chp never bothered him about the noise or anything. all the times he has been pulled over he never encountered a rude cop. theyve always let him off with a smile. :huh:

i dont know, does anyone know of this evo or the owner? its blue and white with stickers everywhere.

some ricer... maybe.

Shoot I woulda pull that Evo over for polluting my cockpit air!

jesevo8
10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Ya I know the thread was old...but im new and was reading thru them passing time!! :shock: this happend 2 monthes ago...Anyway, the one time that my evo got nailed was for tint on the front......pulling out of my road..1...2...3...cars go by and then the 4th..CHP! he does an neck jerk to the right, and me bein a dummy i didn't roll my windows down when i pulled up to the stop...so I pull out"bein dumb" again....he pulls over...lets me go by...then hits the lights...well he wasent cool, but he wasen't a dick either......but I did have to tell him as the prosses of the stop was coming to an end...HOW SAFE I FELT...knowing that he was dirving around keeping my roads safe for us to drive on :x In the end I paid the 137$$ and left the tint on..but will remove soon, next ticket will be more!!

jesevo8
10-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh and He did not ask to see under the hood....

SavageEvo8
10-10-2008, 10:38 AM
ive never been asked to pop my hood.....

jesevo8
10-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Man cops are like dogs...If you are afraid of them...or nervous...there goin to smell it and be a pain in the ass...Basically if you have an attitude your going to get yourself more of a headache...Again like i read in the post on what to do when pulled ovr...I agree with all of it...Getting pulled over is a fact of life...wheather your guilty or not...somtimes life gives you a shitty hand...Driving an evo is differnt than a regular car...even if it is a stock evo with a drop...JMO

Be responsible in your driving, keep the speed down in town and keep the rice to a minimum... 8)

Oh ya? Well, what u gonna do and/or tell the cop when you're driving normal within the speed limit and still pulled u over for your no-rice-just-lowered-springs evo? Can't say it's irresponsible driving. :?

TougeGod7
10-10-2008, 12:29 PM

u 4got about the gunrack in the rear window :lol: :D

mtsevovii
10-10-2008, 12:50 PM

u 4got about the gunrack in the rear window :lol: :D

jesevo8
10-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Ya that's it...A gun rack, Your really onto somthing...maybe id do some camo vinel on the sides! then they would sweat me even less :D

RgistRdShowoffIX
10-12-2008, 04:12 PM
i have a new sig :D

it's a pretty good read from what i've read so far.

mtsevovii
10-12-2008, 05:49 PM
i have a new sig :D

it's a pretty good read from what i've read so far.

funnier if you photoshop in "Made from recycled bullshit" :lol:

RgistRdShowoffIX
10-14-2008, 05:36 PM