PDA

View Full Version : change halogen low beam bulb

cerebus
01-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Anyone ever try to change their headlight bulb for the halogen low beam? I have a 2005 RS and this is becoming a bigger project than I expected. I think the stock bulb is too dim. So I did some research, and got some HIR2 low beam bulbs, and modified them so they should fit.

But it seems impossible to get to them from the hood. The owner's manual say to go through the wheel well. However, there's a plate extending from the body right behind the connector for the bulb on the left side. I guess you can reach it from under the connector.

I've hoping I don't have to take the bumper off to do this. Any advice appreciated.

cerebus
01-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Looked at it again this morning. Tyler at Works was right. I think you have to take the bumper off and remove the light from the front. I don't think there's enough space behind the light assembly to withdraw the bulb! There doesn't seem to be enough clearance.

This is a bigger project than I'd like to tackle myself. If someone who has taken a bumper off before wants to take one off a 2005 RS, please PM me! I'd be happy to provide refreshments. I just worry that I'll have a bunch of pieces lying around and no idea how to put the thing back together again.

Eclipse
01-30-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm looking at my 03 tech manual now. It's not tremendously helpful for bulb replacement. But for headlight removal it just details air guide panel, headlight assembly, cover, connector, controller, bulb. In that order. No detail on taking the bumper cover off.

Messing with halogen bulbs dramatically shortens their life in my experience.

Sorry,
Scott

vtluu
01-30-2005, 11:42 AM
This might be helpful: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=67956

Eclipse
01-30-2005, 11:58 AM
That's a ridiculous amount of labor for a bulb change! Asinine design complexity.

vtluu
01-30-2005, 12:24 PM
That's a ridiculous amount of labor for a bulb change! Asinine design complexity.
I suppose, but how often do you typically change the headlight bulb? Good design would have the frequent tasks made quicker and easier at the expense of less-frequent tasks if need be, IMO.

I'm not saying the Evo is ideal in this regard either. For example you figure that the tranny/clutch would be easier to change in a rally homologation car.

cerebus
01-30-2005, 03:09 PM
The HIR2 should work great. It only draws 55W, but uses an infr-red coating to produce more light, and is rated for as many or more hours than the standard bulb. It does require a reflector with a sharp cutoff though.

I really can't believe its this much work to change a bulb. I wouldn't even bother, but its just hard to see. I think the lights are also aimed low as well, but the output is so pathetic I don't know if bringing it up would help that much. At least I get to use the high beams on this car.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm just going to ask Works to take care of this for me.

Eclipse
01-30-2005, 03:15 PM
As long as you use a transverse engine layout, which is soon to be part of the WRC rules package, there is not much you can do about the tranny. It's built on the premise these cars orginate as FWD economy cars.

It gets complex with longitudinal drivetrains where the engine must be in front of the front wheels. It works for flat fours but the balance and space would get crazy for inline engines. Or you need a front dif seperate from the tranny say in the middle of an engine sump.

Mike W says that he thinks you'll have to lower the whole powertrain to change the clutch on the new six speed but they hadn't done one yet.

Scott

warpspeed
01-30-2005, 08:43 PM
As long as you use a transverse engine layout, which is soon to be part of the WRC rules package, there is not much you can do about the tranny. It's built on the premise these cars orginate as FWD economy cars.

It gets complex with longitudinal drivetrains where the engine must be in front of the front wheels. It works for flat fours but the balance and space would get crazy for inline engines. Or you need a front dif seperate from the tranny say in the middle of an engine sump.

Mike W says that he thinks you'll have to lower the whole powertrain to change the clutch on the new six speed but they hadn't done one yet.

Scott

What???????????????? Does this have to do with changing the bulb?

Eclipse
01-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Post subject: OT

vtluu
01-30-2005, 11:16 PM
What???????????????? Does this have to do with changing the bulb?
Chill, a little "topic drift" is okay once in a while. :) Anyway it looks like the original question was answered, so discussion can continue along a different course.

cerebus
02-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Hi folks:
Just wanted to wrap this up. I finally got the bulbs in, thanks to Tyler at Works. We verified that you must remove the front bumper. There is no room behind the low beam housing to remove the bulb.

The HIR2 bulbs are great so far. A lot more light and it seems to be living up to its ratings. Here are some comparison figures:

Stock halogen low beam, 9006: 1000 lumens
HIR2 low beam, 9012: 1875 lumens
Stock halogen high beam, 9005: 1700 lumens

They don't seem brighter than my high beams, but they do seem pretty close. I still think the lights might be aimed low, but that's a different problem, and maybe not a bad idea given the brightness of the new low beams.

eric