PDA

View Full Version : Bump limit in Vendor Classifieds?

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Should there be a vendor bump limit per day/hour in Vendor Classifieds?

What does the community think?

I know hitting "show unread posts since last visit" and seeing 40 bumped for sale threads from the same vendor and not actual community content isn't really giving the community very much.

What do the members think?

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-16-2008, 01:04 PM
bump for the bump question!

nebolic
09-16-2008, 01:09 PM
let me know what you want changed.

nebo

chrisw
09-16-2008, 01:10 PM
It's certainly annoying at times, but I can appreciate the fact that a vendor might be trying to increase sales, bumping threads is one way to do this. It's a lazy way of doing it for sure.

Personally, I would recommend that the vendors start new threads since some of these threads are very old, some point to old sale items which may or may not be on sale anymore... That is a little misleading to the potential customer, and a quick thinking customer could hold a vendor to the old lower price or post on the forums a bad business experience with said vendor.

Maybe another idea would be to establish a thread lifetime, any thread that is older than a certain limit is automatically deleted or moved from the vendor forums forcing the vendor to post a fresh thread with current prices.

SJCoruja
09-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I'll weigh in...

I would have to agree. The bumping drives me F-ing crazy, and really clutters up things. If anything, there should be no 'meaningless' bumps allowed...meaning that, if a vendor posts something for sale or on special, that it should be driven by questions and responses from the community. OR, it could also be bumped by a price drop or other important info. For example, a vendor posts a batch of something for sale, then they are down to the last few and looking to move them so reduce the price by a significant amount.

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Maybe another idea would be to establish a thread lifetime, any thread that is older than a certain limit is automatically deleted or moved from the vendor forums forcing the vendor to post a fresh thread with current prices.

I think threads older than 30 days in the classifieds do indeed get deleted, however this is 30 days of no activity, not 30 days from date of first post.

bump again for the bump question!

mtsevovii
09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
yeah... :(

chrisw
09-16-2008, 01:38 PM

I think threads older than 30 days in the classifieds do indeed get deleted, however this is 30 days of no activity, not 30 days from date of first post.

bump again for the bump question!

hmm, maybe that is what should be changed. delete the thread after a set time of the original post, not after the last activity. This clearly encourages vendors to bump threads to keep them active.

awdaddict
09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Maybe we should have a vedor thread clean up after 60days of the thread originally created.

nebolic
09-16-2008, 01:48 PM
deleting the thread after 30 days prob won't stop the bumps

but deleting the thread after 30 days is a good way to keep all the info up to date

So do vendors want their threads deleted after 30 days and enforce a strict non bump policy?

nebo

mtsevovii
09-16-2008, 01:50 PM
i think thatll just create a large amount of new threads popping up everyday of the same thing that was deleted...

awdaddict
09-16-2008, 01:54 PM
i think thatll just create a large amount of new threads popping up everyday of the same thing that was deleted...

Not really..
Most of the onsale items aren't going to run for a long period of time.
Or will be in-stock..

Plus spamming threads will just make the creator looks bad.

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-16-2008, 02:35 PM
bump for more input!

steevo8
09-16-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree with Bryan but what bothers me even more then that is when a vendor puts the same damn thing in multiple sections... It's not Evom, if you put something up most likely anyone interested will see it or hear about it, there's absolutely no reason to post it three times. But then again some people have perfected marketing shit, so maybe their tactics do work. :?

mtsevovii
09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Everything is orange!!!

hahaha

whtrice
09-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Bumpmeisters runnin wild...... :lol:

steevo8
09-16-2008, 04:14 PM
bump

Cory@M4
09-16-2008, 04:25 PM
I bumped a million threads today, before ever reading this lolz

I'd rather bump an old thread then make a new one, as it saves me time and the community bandwidth. I do belive inactive threads serve a purpose for people that are searching so I believe they should not be deleted. Just because i'm not bumping a thread everyday does not mean that i'm not offering the same part or services.

I do try my best not to double post anything, I realized today that i did double post EvoX suspensions, but i surely didnt do it on purpose.

These are strictly my opinions and they are no more important than anyone else's opinions. If the community feels otherwise that is fine and i'll take it ok. lol

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I bumped a million threads today

Yes, that is the reason this thread was started...

GST Motorsports
09-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Bumping threads to the point of your threads pretty much being the only threads on page 1 is just ridiculous (Vendor Classifieds not XXX Shop Classifieds), rude to other vendors and unnecessary. I like to bump threads to keep them on page 1 but at the same time I self govern myself as to how many active threads I am bumping or have bumped to page 1. Bumping 20+ something threads in one day just makes me angry because it is unnecessary and rude to the rest of us that take the time to make our threads. Do that on another forum and you get the boot. I think if vendors think before they click there should be no issues with no Mods help needed. If Mods see over amounts of multiple threads bumped then give the vendor a slap on the hand with punishment stepping up from there.

-Greg

steevo8
09-16-2008, 06:36 PM
the f1 seats thread is the worst... I think it's going on 8 pages of bumps now.

Cory@M4
09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I bumped a million threads today

Yes, that is the reason this thread was started...

I had a funny feeling lol

well i can say, it's not like i do it everyday. I believe i only had 3 threads on the front page as of this morning and i had not really bumped any threads other than a few for 2+ weeks. If you had a problem with me doing it today, people should feel free to PM me as this is NOT a recurring issue and there is no need for drama for no reason. I do not bump threads daily, or even weekly so it's not like you'd be seeing only my posts tomorrow and it's not like i plan on sitting on here that amount of time tomorrow to do so.

I know hitting "show unread posts since last visit" and seeing 40 bumped for sale threads from the same vendor and not actual community content isn't really giving the community very much.

and now that it's established this is referring to me, for the record it was 26 :)

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-16-2008, 07:57 PM
That's great, that is not the issue in question, and I am not the only one, the community speaketh.

Cory@M4
09-16-2008, 08:10 PM
so what is the issue in question? I am confused since you are referring only to me obviously and it's not been a recurring issue or something i do very often. I mean i've been on these forums for what three months and i have 194 posts. about 2 per day

It's all in the thread. I do not and will not do PM's with you guys. All my communication with you guys will be in the public forum. Sorry.

Sorry...

jbfoco
09-16-2008, 08:17 PM
so what is the issue in question? I am confused since you are referring only to me obviously and it's not been a recurring issue or something i do very often. I mean i've been on these forums for what three months and i have 194 posts. about 2 per day

It's all in the thread. I do not and will not do PM's with you guys. All my communication with you guys will be in the public forum. Sorry.

Sorry...

I dont see that quote of Bryan's anywhere in the thread?

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-16-2008, 08:17 PM

Vendor Classifieds 139
Off-Topic 18
Meets and Events 11
n00biez 9
Buyer's Corner 8
Motorsports Activities 5
Other Cars 4
Site Feedback and Suggestions 3
Suspension, Handling, Tires, and Braking 3
General Talk 2

139 out of 194 being posts in Vendor Classifieds

steevo8
09-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Oh snap!! How did you do that? Do one for me :D what's mine say, what's mine say? (I'm excited.. It's like a fortune cookie :lol: )

dabaysevo
09-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Oh snap!! How did you do that? Do one for me :D what's mine say, what's mine say? (I'm excited.. It's like a fortune cookie :lol: )

Off-Topic 1322
Motorsports Activities 862
Power Mods 860
General Talk 686
The Cellar 630
Other Cars 460
Show and Shine 335
Suspension, Handling, Tires, and Braking 298
Meets and Events 227
Tech Talk 209

You're such an off-topic whore gui. :lol:

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-16-2008, 08:44 PM

lol, click your name, then scroll down and click "Show general statistics for this member."

or just look at what dabaysevo posted. ;)

Cory@M4
09-16-2008, 08:47 PM
yes...I primarily post in vendor classifieds :shock:

I spend 95% of my day in the shop working on customer cars or on the phone. Is that a problem? I do not wish to sit online and post all day long about the birds and the bee's or E85 discussions. I trust you to do that :methods4:

I have been a member on NCE for exactly three months, i average 1.5 posts per day in the Vendor Classifieds section... I believe your making a big deal out of nothing. I have not jacked your threads or done anything life threatening etc etc and what you think is a problem is not a recurring problem.

If the "community" has a problem with me bumping threads like crazy, on ONE occasion, then fine, I would hear it from them but I don't feel like listening to you make a situation out of it for no reason other than to try to dirty my name or do something to that affect.

I'm off to home. g'night everyone.

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-16-2008, 08:53 PM
If the "community" has a problem with me bumping threads like crazy, on ONE occasion, then fine, I would hear it from them but I don't feel like listening to you make a situation out of it for no reason other than to try to dirty my name or do something to that affect.

I'm not making a situation out of anything, I brought something up and asked what the community thought, they took it from there.

Since it sounds like you didn't even read the thread, I will quote it all here for you:

Should there be a vendor bump limit per day/hour in Vendor Classifieds?

What does the community think?

What do the members think?

It's certainly annoying at times, but I can appreciate the fact that a vendor might be trying to increase sales, bumping threads is one way to do this. It's a lazy way of doing it for sure.

Personally, I would recommend that the vendors start new threads since some of these threads are very old, some point to old sale items which may or may not be on sale anymore... That is a little misleading to the potential customer, and a quick thinking customer could hold a vendor to the old lower price or post on the forums a bad business experience with said vendor.

I'll weigh in...

I would have to agree. The bumping drives me F-ing crazy, and really clutters up things. If anything, there should be no 'meaningless' bumps allowed...meaning that, if a vendor posts something for sale or on special, that it should be driven by questions and responses from the community. OR, it could also be bumped by a price drop or other important info. For example, a vendor posts a batch of something for sale, then they are down to the last few and looking to move them so reduce the price by a significant amount.

deleting the thread after 30 days prob won't stop the bumps

but deleting the thread after 30 days is a good way to keep all the info up to date

So do vendors want their threads deleted after 30 days and enforce a strict non bump policy?

nebo

I agree with Bryan but what bothers me even more then that is when a vendor puts the same damn thing in multiple sections... It's not Evom, if you put something up most likely anyone interested will see it or hear about it, there's absolutely no reason to post it three times. But then again some people have perfected marketing shit, so maybe their tactics do work. :?

Everything is orange!!!

hahaha

steevo8
09-16-2008, 09:00 PM
whao now... I don't think this started off as an attack on you. From what I gather, your slew of bumping today was just the thing that brought it to attention and rightfully so. I'm surprised it's taken this long to brought up.

Sfkn2
09-16-2008, 09:21 PM
I think one bump every two weeks is acceptable, but I hate seeings threads with no interest getting bumped repeatedly.

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Any other members have opinions?

Mods and admins listening?

chrisw
09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
bump

Lurk
09-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I think one bump every two weeks is acceptable, but I hate seeings threads with no interest getting bumped repeatedly.

Agreed, some vendors just don't have a clue. They must think more bumping = more sales. :lol:

awdaddict
09-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Any other members have opinions?

Mods and admins listening?

I'm listening..
jeez :P

whtrice
09-18-2008, 03:29 AM
Chill on the uber bumps.

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Bump for da bump thread!

steevo8
09-18-2008, 07:00 PM
I see your bump and raise you a double bump bump

lncrevoviii
09-18-2008, 08:28 PM
See, if I was a mod or admin this wouldn't be a problem.

*Next Morning, I meet this person in an abandoned building. He is only a janitor, but later I figure out that its JanSolo, the great controller and fixer-upper of NCE. After, bitching at him how things are topsy-turvee on NCE, I ask him why he hasn't been doing his job. I tell him that he has all the power in the world and the easiest job. JanSolo gives me his power for 7 days to do this wrong, right, in order to show me if his job is easy or hard.
With this awesome power the first thing I do is poof myself a Saleen S7 so I can zip through the streets at blazing speeds, move traffic out of my way by the sheer force of my index fingers parting in different directions. And watch ladies go over gutter holes and I use my diabolical powers to blow air through the vents and lift their skirt up while "I got the power" song is playing in the background.*

*But all the fun, that, this amazing power brought me, I forgot my sole purpose. I failed to do the godly jobs of doing the wrong, right, and now its worse.*

*I run back to JanSolo and beg him to keep his damn powers and fix this, I can't take it anymore. The voices in my head are driving me KrAzY.*

BUMP :D.

Lurk
09-18-2008, 10:35 PM
^ :lol:

http://www.word-on-the-web.co.uk/films/images/bruce3.jpg <------------------- Jansolo?

Cory@M4
09-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Bump cause i was the meaning of this thread because of bumps

KevOVIII
09-18-2008, 11:31 PM
As an former owner/admin of a large car enthusiast site, I don't mind having vendors bump their threads as many times as they wish. HOWEVER, I did kindly asked them to consolidate as many items in a thread as possible. Why post one thread for each item when you can have a thread with all items? This would be the most logical thing to do.

As a member, I don't click on "see new posts since last visit," or whatever it's called since there are certain forums I go into. If I have time, I go to other ones. If I did click on "see new posts," I would find a page full of bumps/ads annoying. It would be so annoying that I would probably miss a new for sale item since I would overlook all threads by the vendor.

As a vendor, I would want to have my threads seen as many times as possible BUT I would need to use discretion when bumping threads. I will need to pick and choose which threads to bump on each visit. Maybe 5 visits per day, and bumping all the threads by the end of the day.

My suggestion is to consolidate existing threads. If a new, limited quantity item needs to be sold a.s.a.p., then post a new thread. Otherwise, edit the vendors's first post in the consolidated thread and bump that.

whtrice
09-19-2008, 04:19 AM
Huh??...rebumpcockulous

Bump cause i was the meaning of this thread because of bumps

nebolic
09-19-2008, 07:37 AM
you guys do realize that no matter what an admin/mod does, someone is going to get upset. If vendors come to a consensus on what they want, then it'll be the standard.

nebo

missred
09-19-2008, 07:40 AM
“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.”

KevOVIII
09-20-2008, 05:29 PM
you guys do realize that no matter what an admin/mod does, someone is going to get upset. If vendors come to a consensus on what they want, then it'll be the standard.

nebo

That's why the owner (or admins/mods) needs to set a standard. :)

dabaysevo
09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
I say we gather all the vendors and have them fight Highlander style. "There can only be one.....bump whore!"

Yohan2NV
09-21-2008, 11:32 PM
I dont see any issue with bumping threads, just as long as it is not being abused. To me, a thread that is being bumped by its author, acknowledges its validation (the sale/deal is still on).

Mostly everyone who has a goal (to sell an item), bumps a thread, be it an item by a paid vendor, or an individual posting something in the private section. Look in the private for sale, as well in the vendors section and you will see that pattern.

Being a paid vendor makes you even warrant such behaviour (bumping thread / visibility) due to - it costs you $ to make such posts and gives you visibility = revenue. So, as long the bump is not being abused on a daily basis, it doesnt bother me.

The case with Methods4, they just have a little to many items on sale to bump (validate its sale / deal). But the bumping thread doesnt happen on a daily basis.

What probably bugs me a little bit more as an individual are those "other" marketing strategy by vendors to promote their products and existence. The using of other section of the forum to market an item / services that is clearly (to me) a sale pitch to promote. aka - "ninja" style. Im not saying that I hate it ^ , just gives me the - ah.. sales and promotion right there, more than a real informational base no sales / marketing driven intention. Its actually brilliant! because it works!

Again, I dont hate it ^ , just gives me the - ah.. marketing at its finest right there.

If there is such rules for vendors limiting how much they can bump a thread, it should all apply as a general rule for everyone. There is more non sense threads and posts here that takes up bandwith than this little issue thats been brought up and being bumped.

Bump!

Yohan

earlyapex aka jack ass
09-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Bump for more input

Lurk
09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Bump for more input

I had some input that I expressed, but Nebo felt the need to delete it. :?

Basically I was agreeing with Yohan's post, specifically this quote:
What probably bugs me a little bit more as an individual are those "other" marketing strategy by vendors to promote their products and existence. The using of other section of the forum to market an item / services that is clearly (to me) a sale pitch to promote. aka - "ninja" style. Im not saying that I hate it ^ , just gives me the - ah.. sales and promotion right there, more than a real informational base no sales / marketing driven intention.

I think we all know which vendor does this, and it goes without saying cross posting blatant for sale ads in tech sections doesn't do anyone in the community any good. It is annoying viral marketing, period. Vendors should keep their for sale ads in the classifieds section of the forum where they belong.

What do you guys think?

EssexVIII
09-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Bump for more input

What probably bugs me a little bit more as an individual are those "other" marketing strategy by vendors to promote their products and existence. The using of other section of the forum to market an item / services that is clearly (to me) a sale pitch to promote. aka - "ninja" style. Im not saying that I hate it ^ , just gives me the - ah.. sales and promotion right there, more than a real informational base no sales / marketing driven intention.

I think we all know which vendor does this, and it goes without saying cross posting blatant for sale ads in tech sections doesn't do anyone in the community any good. It is annoying viral marketing, period. Vendors should keep their for sale ads in the classifieds section of the forum where they belong.

What do you guys think?

I personally don't like it either, I see it all the time on EVOM. So yeah I agree with Lurk about keeping the advertising and promoting to the right forums.

Keep the technical forums technical. :)

whtrice
09-23-2008, 04:15 PM
So what do we have on the table here.....

1.) Vendors should only post their wares and services in Vendor Forums ?

2.) Should a daily bump limit be voted on and imposed?

Technical posts that show factual gains in performance I think should still be allowed. If a vendor does the testing
on a particular product at their expense and shares it with the community should this be restricted to an advertising
column or still be allowed as a tech write up?

Bump for more input

What do you guys think?

I personally don't like it either, I see it all the time on EVOM. So yeah I agree with Lurk about keeping the advertising and promoting to the right forums.

awdaddict
09-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Bump for more input

What do you guys think?

really? I don't see how advertising a K20 would benefit the NCE community. :?

On the topic:

I just hate to see that I spent a whole minute browsing thru 2 pages of Vendor items on my phone to get to the "most recent unread threads"

whtrice
09-23-2008, 05:24 PM
This is going well...Might as well go watch more news about the economy. :(

DVS_4G63
09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
well i do not post much but if a vendor is paying NCE to sell there stuff(and it is not cheap) then they should be able to bump all they want to get there moneys worth. even though some vendors should be removed all together but that is another topic.

Lurk
09-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Bump for more input

What do you guys think?

Que? :lol:

whtrice
09-23-2008, 06:00 PM
HaHa..There is our resident K20 vendor. :lol:

Bump for more input

What do you guys think?

Lurk
09-23-2008, 06:03 PM

Bump for more input

What do you guys think?

Hey, I only learned about K20's and how awesome they are at killing EVO's from this thread: http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,19617.0.html

:lol:

xBobbyMRx
09-23-2008, 06:17 PM

Bump for more input

What do you guys think?

Hey, I only learned about K20's and how awesome they are at killing EVO's from this thread: http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,19617.0.html

:lol:

ROFLZ