PDA

View Full Version : Hard intake piping

bdking57
03-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Has anyone looked into upgraded their intake piping between the airbox and the turbo? Ralliart makes a kit for this that costs $450. There are cheaper version out there for $150 or so. Im just wondering why ralliart would go through the trouble of marketing this piece if it didnt do anything at all for performance. I already have a complete IC piping upgrade to complement. Im thinking about getting this piece.

MarkSAE
03-17-2005, 01:15 PM
From the pictures I've seen, the Ralliart intake pipe is constant diameter. The stock intake snorkel is tapered, so going to pipe w/ constant diameter will slow the air velocity through the MAF. According to MalibuJack on evom, this will skew the MAF readings.

He also said the tapered aftermarket pipes will slightly throw off the MAF readings. I guess since they're shaped differently, it will throw things slightly off. Why do our MAFs have to be so damn sensitive?? I bought an HKS intake pipe that I haven't installed because I don't want to risk putting it on and running lean.

lqdchkn
03-17-2005, 01:38 PM
The logic there is correct but still wrong. The MAF reading will still be correct, that flow is pre turbo so the will be speed up by the turbo any way. The taper should not throw off A/F ratios but will have an effect on the amount of restriction the turbo sees

ace33joe
03-17-2005, 02:04 PM
The logic there is correct but still wrong. The MAF reading will still be correct, that flow is pre turbo so the will be speed up by the turbo any way. The taper should not throw off A/F ratios but will have an effect on the amount of restriction the turbo sees

I agree. As long as you have the stock air box, I guess MAF reading shouldn't be noticeably different. If aftermarket intake pipe and intercooler pipe give lean A/F, then it might be because of increased air flow. Stock ECU might try to adjust it, but it has limited adjustment as you already know. :)

bdking57
03-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Im just wonder because I keep wanting to add one or two more things before i get a custom tune..just wondering what little mods would be worthwhile with the proper tunning setup.

lqdchkn
03-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I think it will be worth it. More for having a more stable/supportive mounting for the BOV than for HP, though HP wise it may help a little. I plan on getting one myself, probably RMR.

trinydex
09-14-2005, 08:44 PM
also the maf is not stupid, it learns and adjusts to changes. ti's all theoretically correct that things will change and flow will change but that's not to say you can't use the maf even on an aftermarket turbo and still have things work out well (it's been done). also this all becomes even less of an issue once you have fuel control, something that malibujack himself has and fiddles with endlessly.

oh to answer the question that you originally asked, i think you can peel either the hks, helix, or even the apex kits of their pipes and use them. the thing you need is the maf to hose clamp adapter and then you're all good. at that point tho you might as well just get the whole intake system cuz ti's lighter with more filter surface. but if you're a die hard stock intake box nut then go ahead and do it that way.