PDA

View Full Version : Go ahead and pop the hood...

whiteizright
11-11-2008, 11:18 AM
So my FF built Evo 8 is now a garage queen. Got my ref ticket today. Wasnt doin anything other than goin to work. Was doing maybe 20mph on a side street minding my own business, and here come the lights. Wrote me up for exhaust, headers and open intake. The hunt for stock parts begins. If anyone has any stock stuff i could borrow to get the car reffed let me know, or if you want to sell it let me know as well.

Thanks

SavageEvo8
11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
where are you located?

ddubdb3
11-11-2008, 11:42 AM
the good ole mindin my own business..not speeding, blinker when turning doing nothing wrong. thats how all my hood pops started with sooooo dumb...jus pay the fine

whiteizright
11-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Educate me on what can be done here. Talked to Sean at FFTEC and he has the parts I need.

pjb00stin
11-11-2008, 01:03 PM
what did he say he pulled you over for?

whiteizright
11-11-2008, 01:29 PM
"youve got an illegal exhaust there son"

he was a prick about it all too.

EvOlUtIoN_IX_SE
11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
if you dont want to go through the hassle of putting everything back n if you have to retune it you can actually call the court house and tell them that you want to pay the ticket and you can go that rout done it couple of times my self

pjb00stin
11-12-2008, 12:51 AM
what exhaust do you have?

MaxKanisha
11-12-2008, 09:25 AM
How much is a ref ticket exactly?

And technically, exhausts arent illegal right? I thought it was only the 95db limit thing.

Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but these questions came up in my head. :lol:

Kings Fan
11-12-2008, 10:05 AM
I've always been confused with the CA state law regarding exhaust systems:

Modification of Exhaust Systems
27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

Adequate Muffler Required
27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.

Amended Ch. 558, Stats. 1977. Effective January 1, 1978. Supersedes Ch. 579.

whiteizright
11-12-2008, 11:11 AM
what exhaust do you have?

Apexi N1.

The cop told me that "you cannot drive the car after today or you could get it impounded"

Just talked to the court (i wanted to pay the fine and go on) and they said the citation doesnt get entered for 3-4 weeks. So i was like wtf i need my car and the prick told me i cant drive it anymore. The court was like wtf no, you can drive it but you might get another citation.

So...who has a stock exhaust they want to sell?

pjb00stin
11-12-2008, 01:04 PM
ooh well i was going to tell you to file a TBD.i just learned about it and was reading up on it.but since you got pulled over for having a 'illegal' exhaust im not quite sure you can

whiteizright
11-12-2008, 02:12 PM
what is a TBD

EuGeNiLe
11-17-2008, 02:41 AM
if you dont want to go through the hassle of putting everything back n if you have to retune it you can actually call the court house and tell them that you want to pay the ticket and you can go that rout done it couple of times my self

this is what I would do if you havea 500WHP setup and the time and labor spent to put it back to stock and then put the mods back on, is equal or more than just paying the fine. just work and pay the fine instead of work, spend more time finding parts, installing parts, then removing than installing the mods again..

i would understand with easy crap like exhaust intake, but when you got afpr, inejctors, fuel rail, intake/exhaust manifold, removed emissions you need to put back, etc etc..

nightwalker
11-17-2008, 11:23 PM
You can certify your catback. That's if you have only a catback. Go to the bar, have them test it with a DB meter, and then they'll give you a little certificate. My buddy has a 2.5 RS with an Apex N1 catback, and everytime the ElkGrove PD pull him over, he busts it out. Now they don't even bother with him because they all know him. :lol:

boozted
11-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Pmed you about stock exhaust for sale

warpspeed
11-21-2008, 10:34 AM
The regulation are for the general publics information but they are always interpreted on the officer discretions. I've seen cops pull over imports with after market exhaust and turn their head while right beside them a domestic with flowmaster is louder. :? You're lucky that you don't live in Socal. The cops will impound your car til you have the stock parts to put back on and have the ref. check it.

MarkGuutz
12-04-2008, 05:01 PM
that sounds legit. Might do that when I get my setup done
[quote=nightwalker ]
You can certify your catback. That's if you have only a catback. Go to the bar, have them test it with a DB meter, and then they'll give you a little certificate. My buddy has a 2.5 RS with an Apex N1 catback, and everytime the ElkGrove PD pull him over, he busts it out. Now they don't even bother with him because they all know him. :lol: